Canada Kicks Ass
Tire Free Rivers

BiffGuy @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:07 am

Howdy!

I tried to post this at the web site announements, but the program forced me to "attempt" to log in, then wouldn't let me log in...said things like, "Who the hell do you think you are to log in here? Get lost beaver breath."

Oh well, par for the day.

My good friend Nanook of the Nashwaak has created a site that he hopes will encourage people to remove car and truck tires from rivers. I've canoed New Brunswick rivers for years with Nanook, and it's amazing the number of tires we've seen thrown into the rivers.

Nanook's site may help to clean up the mess.

The URL is http://tirefreerivers.bravehost.com/

Check it out!

Biff
Silence says it all.

www.biffmitchell.com

figfarmer @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:16 am

My family owns quite a bit of rural land and we're always picking up old tires. We also always have a lot of brush piles to burn, so things generally work out.

It is the government's obsession with garbage coupled with special interest groups obsession with corporate profits that creates this problem, as well as many others. People think, "Why should I spend the price of a case of beer getting rid of my old tires when I can just drive up a side road at night and toss them out while I drink the beer?"

The government needs to put a bounty on old tires, not huge, maybe a couple of bucks each. The problem will go away and the tires can be used to generate electricity.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:33 am

In Manitoba you pay the disposal tax whether you leave your old tires with the retailer or not. That seems to help a bit, but you still find tires in rivers and ditches. People are pigs.

Twila @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:51 pm

$1:
People are pigs.

Pahleese! Even pigs know better. Humans are parasites.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:34 pm

Good point, Twila. :lol:

BiffGuy @ Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm

It's good to know that some provinces have programs to encourage people to show a little more respect for our wild lands, but it's still up to the people to keep our rivers free of tires.

I'd like to see more than just New Brunswick represented at Tire Free Rivers. After all, judging from the comments so far, this is a nation-wide problem.

Looking forward to seeing tire pics from coast-to-coast.

Biff
Silence says it all.

www.biffmitchell.com