Canada Kicks Ass
What are you reading?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 26  Next

TonyCanuck @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:14 pm

canucker canucker:
TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
I just started reading Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild". I have heard so much about this book and the last book I read by Krakauer was "Into Thin Air" which blew my mind. Can't wait to get into the middle of this one.

PDT_Armataz_01_34

I'll have to get that book!!! I loved his book 'Into Thin Air'. I just watched a Nova episode the other day about his trek to Antarctica. That was also interesting. Let me know how 'Into the Wild' turns out. :wink:

You'll be the first to know 'Nucker! Have you read Anotoli Boukreev's book about the same climb to Everest? Very different story he tells about the tragedy.

cdncutie @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Constantinople Constantinople:
This thread.

Hey...I take no responsibility for the other one....it's all on you guys :lol:

I've read Angels and Demons as well....and agree that you should break for a while if you've recently wrapped up dVC.

I would also suggest An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser...or for something lighter...A Confederacy of Dunces

xerxes @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:30 pm

Just started reading Shake Hands with the Devil (finally) After that I have The Second World War by John Keegan and I just finished Everything Bad is Good for you by Steven Johnson.

The Lumberjack @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:36 pm

xerxes xerxes:
After that I have The Second World War by John Keegan .

Hey Xerxes, when you've finished reading it - let us know what you think. I've just purchased Keegan's "First World War" and it looks pretty good.

xerxes @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:39 pm

The Lumberjack The Lumberjack:
xerxes xerxes:

Hey Xerxes, when you've finished reading it - let us know what you think. I've just purchased Keegan's "First World War" and it looks pretty good.

No prob. It might be a while though. Classes start again next week and then my usual reading gets put on hold for a while.

If you like the First World War, I would reccommend The Face of Battle. In it Keegan takes a comprehensive look at the Battles of Agincourt (1415 - 100 years war), Waterloo, and the Somme. A very good read (if you haven't read it yet)>

The Lumberjack @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:54 pm

xerxes xerxes:
The Lumberjack The Lumberjack:
xerxes xerxes:

No prob. It might be a while though. Classes start again next week and then my usual reading gets put on hold for a while.

If you like the First World War, I would reccommend The Face of Battle. In it Keegan takes a comprehensive look at the Battles of Agincourt (1415 - 100 years war), Waterloo, and the Somme. A very good read (if you haven't read it yet)>

PDT_Armataz_01_34 Appreciate the recommend.

canucker @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:56 pm

TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
canucker canucker:
TonyCanuck TonyCanuck:
I just started reading Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild". I have heard so much about this book and the last book I read by Krakauer was "Into Thin Air" which blew my mind. Can't wait to get into the middle of this one.

PDT_Armataz_01_34

I'll have to get that book!!! I loved his book 'Into Thin Air'. I just watched a Nova episode the other day about his trek to Antarctica. That was also interesting. Let me know how 'Into the Wild' turns out. :wink:

You'll be the first to know 'Nucker! Have you read Anotoli Boukreev's book about the same climb to Everest? Very different story he tells about the tragedy.

Yes of course, I had to read Anotoli's version of events after I read Krakauer's. Where is this "wild" he's in now?

Constantinople @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:58 pm

Hester Hester:
canucker canucker:
Constantinople Constantinople:
canucker canucker:
Did you read the DaVinci Code Constant? You were mentioned once or twice...

Right now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. :D

Yes, I read the Code. Very interesting and speculative. The movie should be good.

I posted a trailer for the movie in the Entertainment Forum. It doesn't show much, but it's still intriguing!

Has anyone read Angels and Demons? And have any comments about it? We have it here, but I haven't read it yet.

Angels and Demons is also a very interesting book.

twister @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:57 pm

Right now for work... The Complete player by Saul Miller..

onthe lighter side Shutout Terry Sawchuck's life story

figfarmer @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:10 pm

I've just chewed my way through three of his books and quite frankly, I found Digital Fortress to be the best write of the bunch, The DaVinci Code and Angels And Demons being the other two.

Constantinople @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:06 pm

figfarmer figfarmer:
I've just chewed my way through three of his books and quite frankly, I found Digital Fortress to be the best write of the bunch, The DaVinci Code and Angels And Demons being the other two.

Yeah, I've heard Digitial Fortress is pretty good.

figfarmer @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:22 pm

It has none of the theological crap of the others and is a bit more realistic. The basic premise of The DaVinci Code is idiotic and the science of Angels And Demons is unrealistic. There are a couple of scenes in Digital Fortress which are a bit too Indiana Jonesish in their farfetchedness, but it's a saner read all 'round. I just realised I have another of his, Deception Point, yet to read. I do love Kazaa. The problem with reading all of these books is that none of the authors can compare with H. Rider Haggard who will always be the giant of the adventure genre.

victoriasweets @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:26 pm

Hi! I'm currently reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series! They're huge books, but I love them!

Hester @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:02 pm

I've read all of Stephen King's stuff, The Tommyknockers was good. The Dark Tower series is great. Start on book two if you're interested, and go back to book 1 for some history later.

canadian1971 @ Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:10 pm

Regina Regina:
Just started reading "Holding Juno" by Mark Zuehlke......again. I've read the first couple of chapter 3 times now. Just haven't got into the reading mode this summer. My handicap is a couple stroke lower though. :oops:

Holding Juno?....is it new? I've read all his books on Canada's involvement in WW2 but have not heard of Holding Juno. Is it a new one? If so it will be next on my list....right now I'm re-reading Juno Beach. Some nice stories in there...some not so nice.

*edit....Dark Tower is fucking good! The ending is kinda cruel though...with a ray of light.

Hile Gunslingers....long days and pleasant nights! :lol:

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 26  Next