Canada Kicks Ass
Why you chose your forum name

1  2  Next

Gonzo @ Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:32 pm

I'm always curious as to why people choose a name to use on a forum. For me it's because I like the art work of Ralph Steadman. He did most of the art for Hunter S. Thompson. There is a good book of his art work called Gonzo The Art. I like Gonzo journalism, and Gonzo was my favourite character on the Muppet Show. Simple as that.
The picture I used is of Salvador Dali.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:03 am

I love the writing of Hunter Thompson...it dragged me to understand the art of Ralph Steadman. I wondered about the Gonzo thing when I saw your name, but kind of wrote it off to providence or the Muppets or something.

My name comes the fact that I got ordained a reverend to make sure that
Zenfisher got married though. He said, "Will you be my best man," and I said (a tad increduously because I know him), "Why don't I just get ordained and do the ceremony?"

There's more, there always is, but that's how I got my name,

Now we need Zen to say how he got his name. I had a hand in that too, kind of. Zen tells it better though....

RoyalHighlander @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:30 am

I think this is the 3 thread on this topic ive seen in trhe last week... Does any one see whats posted before starting a new thread???

Gonzo @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:27 am

I didn't see the other thread. Sorry.
What I do when I come to this site is check posts since my last visit. I dont know if I miss many posts that way.
I was wondering about Rev. I thought it has someting to do with the music of Rev Al Green.

Ralph @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:44 am

He shall not seek to weave,
In weak, unhappy times, 60
Efficacious rhymes;
Wait his returning strength.
Bird that from the nadir’s floor
To the zenith’s top can soar,—
The soaring orbit of the muse exceeds that journey’s length. 65
Nor profane affect to hit
Or compass that, by meddling wit,
Which only the propitious mind
Publishes when ’t is inclined.
There are open hours 70
When the God’s will sallies free,
And the dull idiot might see
The flowing fortunes of a thousand years;
Sudden, at unawares,
Self-moved, fly-to the doors, 75
Nor sword of angels could reveal
What they conceal.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:46 pm

$1:
I was wondering about Rev. I thought it has someting to do with the music of Rev Al Green.

No, but if it was musical it would be more likely to be the Reverend Horton Heat than Al Green...I've always had a thing for psycho-billy music.

WestieLee @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:27 pm

I thought I already posted a reply to a thread like this...here it is.. 8)

thread of nick names

Gonzo @ Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:31 pm

Already stated that I'm aware of the other post.

Zenfisher @ Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:46 am

More than a hand Rev...I just ran with it.

After a particularly grueling grave yard shift at the salt mines...( I worked for Supervalu/Westfair Foods at the time. Anyone who is aware of the company,knows they love to rub salt in the wounds they inflict on their employees. No I'm not afraid of them sueing me..its all documented.) Anyhoo...

The Rev had asked me to come over and help him move something , I really can't remember what it was. After work I ventured over to Rev & Mrs.Rev's. I made may way in through the secret entrance.( known only to his closest confidents. I walked ito the house and grabbed myself a beer.( the Rev always has a cold beer on hand.) They weren't up yet so I plopped down in the big comfy chair and flipped on the tele.

About three minutes later, there was a rumbling. eight tiny feet and two big ones came roaring down the stairs. His dogs bounded onto my lap ( one shepard & one lab mix) The Rev following behind them.He looked at me an said...
" Rick...I was just dreaming about you."

" Oh." I said, still in a fog from work.

" We were fishing...." This in itself is odd, The Rev does not fish and I hadn't been in about five years at that point. " ...We were both sitting there talking...when you suddenly got up...did a handstand into the water. You were flipping around ,doing somersaults...ALL ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER...when you got to the middle of the river suddenly you stopped and just stood there."

He continued..." Rick,what the hell are you doing ?You pointed at the cooler"

To which I responded...(in the dream)..." I'm Zenfishing...throw me a beer! "

I've been Zenfishing ever since...

aquariusPEI @ Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:45 am

Cool story zenfisher – I thought your handle was interesting,
I just assumed you were into fishing and Buddhism :)
The secret origin of aquarius:
It’s my zodiac sign, I live on an island so you guessed it –water surrounds me on all sides, and I’ve always loved the sea and have an interest in anything to do with maritime history.
It’s in my blood.
The PEI part – Prince Edward Island of course.

Zenfisher @ Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:32 pm

Hmmm... I live in Seattle. At certain times of the year water surrounds me on all sides,above me and below me :P

Gonzo @ Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:08 am

Zenfishing sounds like a fun activity.

Zenfisher @ Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:57 pm

Its got its moments Gonzo. I can honestly say I reccomend it. :P

havalaf @ Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:29 am

Gonzo Gonzo:
Zenfishing sounds like a fun activity.
Zen is the Japanese pronunciation of Chinese chán, which means “quietude.” So you might say that "zenfishing" is fishing (looking) for solitude.. :D :wink:

Zenfisher @ Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:35 am

Quiet with a beer... :P Yup! sounds like me.

1  2  Next