Canada Kicks Ass
Winning design for the victims of communism memorial

1  2  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Wed May 17, 2017 10:37 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/vi ... -1.4119012

$1:
The winning design for a memorial to the victims of communism in downtown Ottawa has been chosen.

Toronto architect and artist Paul Raff created the design with Michael A. Ormston-Holloway, a designer and certified arborist, and landscape architects Brett Hoornaert and Luke Kairys.

"The design is a broad, sweeping, arcing form, moving from east to west, and it's made up of more than 4,000 individual bronze rods," Raff said in an interview Wednesday morning following the announcement.

"Each one points at the sun in the sky, one successive hour of the day, every day of the year. So it actually forms a three-dimensional calendar, which memorializes every moment of the vast millions of moments of suffering of victims. But it also expresses resilience and hope."

The announcement was made by Arif Virani, parliamentary secretary to Canadian Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly, at the Canadian Museum of History.

Freakinoldguy @ Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

Any bets on how long it'll take before some historical revisionist demands this monument be removed because it offends Communists. ROTFL

BartSimpson @ Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Any bets on how long it'll take before some historical revisionist Public Domain demands this monument be removed because it offends Communists. ROTFL

FTFY :mrgreen:

Public_Domain @ Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 pm

oh hey guys

yeah

the monument is fucking garbage

Thanos @ Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I thought it looks more in this drawing like uneven stacks of folders on a bureaucrat's desk, each page representing a life casually annihilated as much out of underlings diligently following process and procedures to fill arbitrary quotas handed down by the central committee as they were erased from existed under the pretense of being enemies of the people. That's where the exterminator always goes to in the end, wiping out as many if not more of those who are entirely innocent and harmless as they do those who qualify as actual enemies of the regime.

Just casual, indifferent, efficient, assembly-line, numb, and thoroughly empty.

BeaverFever @ Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 am

I was hoping this dumb idea would get the axe. Why exclude the victims of non-communist despots? A commemorative monument that excludes the Holocaust, Nazis, both world wars in fact, the Rwandan genocide, the Armenian genocide, the war on terror, and every military conflict Canada has ever participated in with the exception of the Korean war isn't much of a monument.

Will the "victims of communism" memorial contain the names of all the Gestapo officers and Nazi collaborators executed by the Soviets as well? How about the proto-Taliban Mujahideen and the various Latin American death squads who met their fate at the hands of the commies?

Public_Domain @ Thu May 18, 2017 4:59 am

i'd say we should have a "victims of capitalism" memorial;
we could put one in pretty much every city graveyard of the world

DrCaleb @ Thu May 18, 2017 6:24 am

Why do we need this make work project for artists again?

I must have missed all the protesters demanding it.

stratos @ Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Why do we need this make work project for artists again?

I must have missed all the protesters demanding it.

It was a MIMES protest thus no one heard a thing.

Tman1 @ Thu May 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Now we need a memorial for 'cultural appropriation'.

BartSimpson @ Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Now we need a memorial for 'cultural appropriation'.

It's called "Taco Bell".

herbie @ Thu May 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Got approved by the Tories, at least it's not on capital hill or some official gov't endorsement, the artists DO need make work projects, and the money the feds kick in is chicken change.
And maybe they can add a small addendum plaque to include the 50 or so victims around here that fled Chile cuz they supported Allende.... they were victims of communism too.
Better yet, no plaque at all, just name it Victims of Communism -its as good a name as Anus De Milo or Stack of Folders.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I was hoping this dumb idea would get the axe. Why exclude the victims of non-communist despots? A commemorative monument that excludes the Holocaust, Nazis, both world wars in fact, the Rwandan genocide, the Armenian genocide, the war on terror, and every military conflict Canada has ever participated in with the exception of the Korean war isn't much of a monument.

Isn't much of a monument? Really? The fact that we're actually going to have a monument and acknowledge the fact that the Russians murdered close to two million Poles alone (27,000 at Katyn) means nothing? The Holocaust gets all the attention and hundreds of monuments/memorials/etc. while the cold blooded extermination of Poles gets almost NO COVERAGE or recognition, and ALWAYS gets overlooked! The only thing I've seen over here that acknowledges this genocide is the memorial at the foot of Roncesvalles in Toronto.

It is utterly unsympathetic and extremely disappointing to always have Katyn and the whole genocide of Poles passed over time and again. Every year, we don't hear the end of the Holocaust and all it's horrors, but there is little to no mention of the acts of murder committed by Russian forces. Lawmakers, police, scientists, judges, etc. were all murdered by the Russians to break the Polish spirit, and eradicate anything that could get in the way of them taking over and remaking Poland in their own image. Katyn is but a small example.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Will the "victims of communism" memorial contain the names of all the Gestapo officers and Nazi collaborators executed by the Soviets as well? How about the proto-Taliban Mujahideen and the various Latin American death squads who met their fate at the hands of the commies?

You cheapen what happened to the Poles, and insult them and their families and all that they lost during that time period. I used to to think you were simply nothing but a left-wing nut case, but after reading this, I now know you are a cold, insensitive, soulless goon that is rotten to the core. You'd fit right in with the Russians of old, and I hope at some point in time, Karma pays you a visit. I take great offence with you on this, as I am half-Polish and just might have had an ancestor that was a victim of the Russians.

It is in my honest opinion that ALL genocides be treated the same, instead of picking and choosing which one we remember and such. Only through awareness and acknowledgement can we hope to move forward and prevent the lot for ever happening again.

Remember Katyn.
Remember the two million.

-J.

BeaverFever @ Thu May 18, 2017 7:34 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

quote="BeaverFever"]I was hoping this dumb idea would get the axe. Why exclude the victims of non-communist despots? A commemorative monument that excludes the Holocaust, Nazis, both world wars in fact, the Rwandan genocide, the Armenian genocide, the war on terror, and every military conflict Canada has ever participated in with the exception of the Korean war isn't much of a monument.

Isn't much of a monument? Really? The fact that we're actually going to have a monument and acknowledge the fact that the Russians murdered close to two million Poles alone (27,000 at Katyn) means nothing? The Holocaust gets all the attention and hundreds of monuments/memorials/etc. while the cold blooded extermination of Poles gets almost NO COVERAGE or recognition, and ALWAYS gets overlooked! The only thing I've seen over here that acknowledges this genocide is the memorial at the foot of Roncesvalles in Toronto.

It is utterly unsympathetic and extremely disappointing to always have Katyn and the whole genocide of Poles passed over time and again. Every year, we don't hear the end of the Holocaust and all it's horrors, but there is little to no mention of the acts of murder committed by Russian forces. Lawmakers, police, scientists, judges, etc. were all murdered by the Russians to break the Polish spirit, and eradicate anything that could get in the way of them taking over and remaking Poland in their own image. Katyn is but a small example.[/quote]

This isn't a monument to Polish victims of Soviet atrocities, it's a monument to various select atrocities around the world, deliberately excluding so very significant ones that don't fit a particular right wing narrative. AFAIK,whether Poland or anyone else will even get specific mention on this monument is unknown

$1:
You cheapen what happened to the Poles, and insult them and their families and all that they lost during that time period. I used to to think you were simply nothing but a left-wing nut case, but after reading this, I now know you are a cold, insensitive, soulless goon that is rotten to the core. You'd fit right in with the Russians of old, and I hope at some point in time, Karma pays you a visit. I take great offence with you on this, as I am half-Polish and just might have had an ancestor that was a victim of the Russians.

You truly are a fucking dipshit you know that? I mean you really are. Because I don't support this monument I have disrespected the Polish people specifically and I'd "fit right in" with mads murderers? Idiot.

]
$1:
It is in my honest opinion that ALL genocides be treated the same, instead of picking and choosing which one we remember and such. Only through awareness and acknowledgement can we hope to move forward and prevent the lot for ever happening again.

...And then here you go on to make the same point I did anyway about why choosing some but not others....?!

herbie @ Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm

It was a Harper make work project. Keep his lunatic fringe backbench occupied with dumb memorials and stupid Crime Bills while he got on with actual work.

1  2  Next