Canada Kicks Ass
Wow! Can you believe it. . . .?

karra @ Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:02 pm

Half a million bucks to move this monster fish. . . . Imagine the good that could be done with that money. . .

Why don't they put it out of it's loneliness and shoot it . . . could make whale pies/tortierres - give 'em to the needy or some such. . .

$1:
Over-friendly killer whale to be captured
Fri 11 June, 2004 03:29
By Allan Dowd

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A lonely killer whale on Canada's Pacific coast, whose search for companionship has become a danger to boats and float planes, and himself, will be captured next week so he can be reunited with his family pod, officials have said.

Scientists said it was clear the one-ton whale, nicknamed Luna, would not be able to link up with the pod on his own, so he will have to be trucked to the southern tip of Vancouver Island where the other orcas normally spend the summer.

Luna has been swimming alone in a bay on western Vancouver Island since 2001, but as human activity in the area picked with the approach of summer, he was having run-ins with boats and float planes in an apparent search for companionship.

Luna nearly collided with a landing float plane two days ago, an accident that could have killed both the whale and the people on the plane, officials said.

"For Luna's sake, we have to move now," said John Nightingale, director of the Vancouver Aquarium.

Orcas, or killer whales, normally spend their entire lives with other members of their pod. Scientists do not know if Luna, whose official designation is L98, became lost or was kicked out of the family unit.

Canada and the United States agreed late last year to move Luna, but had to wait until L-pod returned to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, where it spends the summer swimming in both U.S. and Canadian waters.

Scientists plan to use a boat that Luna likes to follow to lure him into a floating net pen being constructed off the village of Gold River.

"He's been showing a lot of interest in the last few days. The crews have been setting up the pen and he's been helping them," Nightingale noted on Thursday.

Luna will undergo several days of medical tests before he is trucked in a special holding tank to Pedder Bay, west of Victoria, and 200 km (120 miles) southeast of where he is now. The road trip is expected to take about 12 hours.

Luna will stay in a pen in Pedder Bay until L-pod swims into the area and he makes vocal contact. Scientist admit they do not know if the pod will accept him back since it is unclear how he became separated.

Two years ago, experts successfully reunited Springer, a sick and orphaned juvenile orca found in Puget Sound near Seattle, with her family pod, which summers in Canadian waters off northern Vancouver Island.

Luna's move is expected to cost at least C$550,000 (230,000 pounds), and while the U.S. and Canadian governments have contributed a total of C$230,000, the rest will have to be raised from private sources.

[web]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20030131/450whale31_tippingcap.jpg[/web]

Indelible @ Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:08 pm

that is a pretty ignorant thing to post. i suppose the "good" that could be done with that money means that it coulda gone towards those aircraft carriers harper plans to buy?

karra @ Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:19 pm

$1:
that is a pretty ignorant thing to post. i suppose the "good" that could be done with that money means that it coulda gone towards those aircraft carriers harper plans to buy?

What an awful indelible yellow thing to say and suggest. Is that the best you can come up with as a suggestion for spending half a million dollars doing good, kind, benevolent?

Sheesh! What a sourpuss.

Scape @ Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:39 pm

Would you rather that money go to Kellogg Brown & Root and DynCorp Karra?

-Mario- @ Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:39 pm

I think you are missing the big picture Karra... :roll:

-M-

Rev_Blair @ Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:53 pm

:roll: at Karra

karra @ Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:35 am

Jeez, I thought at least a few of the hard left and their tender sensibilities would have leapt all over this one declaring 'man' to be the culprit for encouraging wild animals to stray and inhabit man's environment.

Rev_Blair @ Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:53 am

:roll:

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:24 am

I'm going to agree with Karra here, who cares about the darn whale? We have people in this country who live worse then most people's pets do, and someone wants to spend $500k to save a lost whale?

It will probably come out of our EI dollars that we deny to the average Jo because he does not qualify for one reason or another.

Shoot the whale and spend the money on collage bursaries or something!

Donny_Brasco @ Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:14 pm

Indians in dugout canoes led a killer whale out to sea off western Canada on Wednesday, trying to thwart scientists' attempts to capture the orca considered by the tribe to be a reincarnated chief.

Yahoo Whale News

PS, it wasn't me...

figfarmer @ Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:28 pm

Lotta eatin' on that puppy.

I don't believe that we should spend money on animals like that.

I don't believe in reincarnation.

Let's catch the sucker and BBQ it.

karra @ Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:47 pm

Geez, just imagine all the blubber burgers they could make - then they could serve them to blubbering snivelling whale and tree huggers . . . . problem solved.

Robair @ Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:56 pm

I can understand something like this for an endangered species, but these things aren't on that list, are they?

It says the Canadian and US governments have contributed $230,000 Canadian. So, are we talking $115,000 from Canadian tax payers? 'Cause, I've got friends that work as drillers on oil rigs making about that much/year...

Anyway, doesn't sound like a big enough 'waste' of funds to get bent out of shape over.