Canada Kicks Ass
No proof of attendance, no cash

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:54 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... hools.html

Imagine that!! The government demanding that natives actually prove they were in the residential schools before they get any money! The nerve of them! How about proof of abuse too. Not every person who attended a residential school suffered, nor was it a negative experience for all who attended.

Virgil @ Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:00 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/07/07/bc-res-schools.html

Imagine that!! The government demanding that natives actually prove they were in the residential schools before they get any money! The nerve of them! How about proof of abuse too. Not every person who attended a residential school suffered, nor was it a negative experience for all who attended.

agreed.

Persiana @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:07 pm

I think that is too bad though that the elders are being denied. For that era, residential school most definitely was a negative experience. Especially on the island... I'm not too familiar with stories of mainland and countrywide residential schools but I do know that I have yet to hear a single positive statement made about -any- of the schools that were on the island.

saga @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Persiana Persiana:
I think that is too bad though that the elders are being denied. For that era, residential school most definitely was a negative experience. Especially on the island... I'm not too familiar with stories of mainland and countrywide residential schools but I do know that I have yet to hear a single positive statement made about -any- of the schools that were on the island.

Hard for people to prove that when a lot of the records were destroyed ... of course, that was likely only the records for the ones who died there.

saga @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

What is your evidence for these statements?

SireJoe @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 pm

saga saga:

"Hard for people to prove that when a lot of the records were destroyed ... of course, that was likely only the records for the ones who died there."

WHERES YOURS?

saga @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:05 pm

SireJoe SireJoe:
saga saga:

"Hard for people to prove that when a lot of the records were destroyed ... of course, that was likely only the records for the ones who died there."

WHERES YOURS?

He's first! I am waiting for him to produce a glowing report of a student's experience in a residential school!

saga @ Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Anglican Journal: Students Seek Fairness

Arctic_Menace @ Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:36 pm

$1:
Hard for people to prove that when a lot of the records were destroyed

Ever heard of something called memory?

2Cdo @ Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:55 pm

saga saga:
Persiana Persiana:

Hard for people to prove that when a lot of the records were destroyed ... of course, that was likely only the records for the ones who died there.

Well Saga, if only the ones who died had their records destroyed wouldn't it mean that the "thousands" who suffered still have records? Or maybe the government wanting proof would have something to do with the fact that the numbers of natives claiming financial retribution for their "suffering" actually exceeded the total number of natives that were enrolled in the residential schools!

Wow, forcing people to prove they were wronged before handing over the cheque book, what a novel concept! And once again you reveal your ignorance! :lol: Isn't there a medal for being criminally stupid? If so I nominate Saga.

saga @ Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:23 pm

!! WARNING WARNING !!... 2seedy's brain has disengaged from his bigotmouth!!

... whatyousay? ... that IS his brain talking? Sad ... poor dear ...

Can you read and understand the little article at the link above ?

Or do you need help with that?

Firecat @ Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:53 pm

The mere fact of being placed into a residential school did harm. No further harm need be established than that.
I have read or heard of no claim at all that that their residential school experience was anything but a negative one.
Conditions were poor and orders to speak the unfamiliar language were enforced with beatings.

I speak from anecdotes from one side of the family. My great grand mother attended a residential school thanks. From whence comes your insight, if I may ask, Shepherd's dog? you write as though you are some sort of authority on what happened at the residential schools so I wonder from which reserve your people came? My great grandmother is long passed away now, so i can no longer ask her for more detail. Not that she would have spoken of it.

It was so thoroughly inculcated into her that to be native was a shameful thing she held held it as a shameful family secret from her own grandchildren.

I wonder how indignant ctritics would feel were it they who were subjected to that treatment, and whether they would be so willing to just forget it?

2Cdo @ Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:52 pm

saga saga:

Sorry Saga, I am not fluent in jibberish! But once again you avoided the point about more natives claiming abuse then actually attended the schools, no surprise there. :roll:

I realise our slightly handicapped member has recieved the annoying medal, maybe it's time for a brain dead medal! I nominate Saga. Any seconds?

saga @ Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:01 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
saga saga:

Sorry Saga, I am not fluent in jibberish! But once again you avoided the point about more natives claiming abuse then actually attended the schools, no surprise there. :roll:

I realise our slightly handicapped member has recieved the annoying medal, maybe it's time for a brain dead medal! I nominate Saga. Any seconds?

I read your "point" but you have provided no evidence, so until you do ...
I am pointing out my evidence about records being hard to find:

Anglican Journal - Students want fairness

Now I must ask for your evidence for your statement that more have applied than attended, because I do not believe that is true. I think it is just an excuse to slam all Indigenous people. Prove that is true, and I do not accept "everybody knows" or "somebody told me" as evidence. Link please.

Biblical_Christian @ Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 am

I applied, I didn't even get a penny. I got registered thier, but I didn't show up. Daaaaang.