Canada Kicks Ass
Senator suggests that residential school was well intentione

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/re ... -1.4015115
This will go over like a fart in a diving helmet. Since anyone and everyone who attended school are getting large settlements.

Thanos @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:28 pm

I suppose one could point out the old Christian phrase of good intentions being what the road to hell is paved with. Or that any "good deeds" that might have happened in those schools were pretty much wiped out completely by the crimes that happened in them, or that the entire policy was an atrocity to begin with that can now only be called a crime against humanity. All I know is that when it comes to the descendants of the priests, nuns, and administrators who worked in those places I couldn't give a fuck about their feelings because their feelings are the least important issue to ever come out of that horrible legacy.

This is all that can be ever be said about anyone who actually thinks this way. :|

housewife @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:03 pm

WTF

Public_Domain @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 pm

"Sure, he assaulted her, but he also gave her roses! WHY DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT THE ROSES?!"

Strutz @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Oh yes, we all know how "well" that turned out. :roll:

BeaverFever @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanos Thanos:

All I know is that when it comes to the descendants of the priests, nuns, and administrators who worked in those places I couldn't give a fuck about their feelings because their feelings are the least important issue to ever come out of that horrible legacy.

The fact that priests and nuns have any descendants at all is a red flag, no?

What with that vow of chastity and all....

Lemmy @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:51 pm

BeaverFever @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
"Sure, he assaulted her, but he also gave her roses! WHY DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT THE ROSES?!"

AND he paid for dinner too!! If this ingrate didn't want to be assaulted, she shouldn't have accepted the free happy meal, which more than makes up for it!

Thanos @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 pm

If any good came out of the schools then why has practically every single Native community in this country been completely shattered and dysfunctional ever since the kids returned home from those places? :?

I get what Lemmy is saying but the facts on the ground indicate that the entire experience was a massive unending disaster. And I don't think it was done out of ignorance. It was done out of arrogance, that those with the power gave themselves the right to be as cruel as they wanted to simply because they thought they were innately superior to the "lesser" Natives. It was a classic example of power being all that mattered, that it gives the ability and the right to grind the powerless down into nothing for no other reason than they felt like it.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

It was done in Europe prior to being implemented in North America. In the UK it was done to the Scots, Welsh and Irish. It was also done to a lesser degree to all non British immigrants in Canada, like the Ukrainians and other eastern Europeans.

At the time it was a scientifically held belief that WASP society was the peak of human development. Remember this was the era that birthed the social Gospel and the White man's burden. It was born out of a twisted paternalism.

Plenty of SJWs and 'liberals' adhere to a similar principle nowadays. Only they have the proper education and insight to be arbiters of what is good for everyone else. Only after you've been properly reeducated in their ways will you understand how much better your life is compared to what it was.

herbie @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 pm

$1:
good intentions being what the road to hell is paved with

Exactly.
I really don't think most teachers at that school were told to 'kill their languages and culture', but that was the outcome.
And building a school at every remote reserve was probably financially impossible in those days, they probably thought it was cheaper and easier to bring the students to the school - and never even thought about the long term effects of doing that.

Lemmy @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanos @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Agreed. Ignorance and arrogance walk hand-in-hand. Never met a bullying prick yet who didn't think the sun rose and set on his evil ass. As exemplified......

herbie @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm

$1:
It was done out of arrogance, that those with the power gave themselves the right to be as cruel as they wanted to simply because they thought they were innately superior to the "lesser" Natives.

In retrospect, it can seem that way. But you're attributing to malice what should be attributed to ignorance. Most actually thought they were providing a means for natives to integrate. Even today, they can't without equal educational opportunity.
What this does reveal is yet another in an endless line of incredibly off the mark ideas by Conservatives. I swear to God, Harper's best point was how he kept planting his feet into backbencher's mouths to get them to STFU up.