Canada Kicks Ass
Is anybody here from London?

SeanCA @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 am

Hi guys,
I recently moved to Canada as a temporary foreign worker and I'd really like to study here.
I thought about moving to London ON and study there in Fanshawe college.
I was wondering- what is the city like? is it an expensive city? how's the nightlife? people? weather?

Thanks,
Sean.

Lemmy @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 am

London's swell. You may want to re-think Fanshawe though. Fanshawe grads aren't likely to be held in the highest regard by employers right now, in light of recent events there.

Brenda @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 am

If you are a temporary foreign worker, you can't just move across the country. You need your employer to keep you in the country, because the reason you are here is to WORK.

SeanCA @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:13 am

Lemmy, would you say Niagara college is better? I'm looking for a college that has transfer articulation and isn't extremely expensive(tuition+living expenses).

Brenda, I know, right now I work and have no intention to quit the job soon, I was thinking about studying around fall of 2013.
As for relocation inside of Canada that's not a problem, I'm gonna leave Canada and apply for a student visa from my homeland if necessary.

Lemmy @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:16 am

SeanCA SeanCA:
Lemmy, would you say Niagara college is better? I'm looking for a college that has transfer articulation and isn't extremely expensive(tuition+living expenses).

I wouldn't characterize any one school as "better" than another. The quality of education a person gets at college depends on the person, not the institution. But Fanshawe has developed a pretty shitty reputation, based on a bunch of out-of-control party riots in recent years. A good friend of mine studied radio broadcasting at Niagara and he thought it was a great place to go to school.

SeanCA @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
SeanCA SeanCA:

I wouldn't characterize any one school as "better" than another. The quality of education a person gets at college depends on the person, not the institution. But Fanshawe has developed a pretty shitty reputation, based on a bunch of out-of-control party riots in recent years. A good friend of mine studied radio broadcasting at Niagara and he thought it was a great place to go to school.

I'm glad to hear that.

Tricks @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:38 am

SeanCA SeanCA:
Hi guys,
I recently moved to Canada as a temporary foreign worker and I'd really like to study here.
I thought about moving to London ON and study there in Fanshawe college.
I was wondering- what is the city like? is it an expensive city? how's the nightlife? people? weather?

Thanks,
Sean.

I live there, went to school at Western.

Expensive, I wouldn't say so, but it gets vastly cheaper if you bunk up with other students.
Nightlife is awesome, you've got upwards of 50000 students there. Richmond row is quite the place on the weekend.
People are fine. Drivers are awful, but most people are pretty friendly, not complaints there.
Weather, generally pretty good, but it seems when we get any sort of rain or snow, we get dumped on.

2Cdo @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:17 am

When I last lived there London was a city of strip-malls, with nearly half of the stores in them boarded up.

Also, like Tricks said, the drivers are some of the worst in Canada. 8O

BartSimpson @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:15 pm

If you decide to cross the border and visit the USA be sure to go to the Detroit office of Michigan Dept. of Health and Human Services and declare yourself an illegal alien and then collect your cash stipend of $168.00 for the month.

It'll pay for dinner and a movie, for sure. 8)

Dayseed @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm

I've been to London a few times recently. It is quite a nice city, it has everything you'd need. If you were thinking Fanshawe, maybe you should think another school. I know some Fanshawe grads...

Tricks @ Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Yeah Fanshawe has a shitty reputation right now, and Fanshawe students (from dealing with them in my job) are generally not the brightest.

SeanCA @ Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:47 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
If you decide to cross the border and visit the USA be sure to go to the Detroit office of Michigan Dept. of Health and Human Services and declare yourself an illegal alien and then collect your cash stipend of $168.00 for the month.

It'll pay for dinner and a movie, for sure. 8)

lmao I've been to the states a few time as a tourist and honestly- I would never move there :P sorry dude but your country isn't as great as u think, Canada is much better. And I've noticed something, 90% of these 'illegal aliens' are Mexicans and they took over California and Texas!! Why don't you send them back home? they are illegal after all.

Zipperfish @ Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:53 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
But Fanshawe has developed a pretty shitty reputation, based on a bunch of out-of-control party riots in recent years.

If I were starting college, out-of-control parties wouldn't exactly be a negative.

SeanCA @ Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:06 am

OK listen guys, I think NSCC in Halifax/Dartmouth, NS would be the best option.
They're cheaper, it's easy to immigrate to NS after graduation and there's an articulation agreement for my program(Hospitality and tourism management)with Ryerson, U of Calgary and a few other universities and colleges in Canada.

But thank you all for the comments :)