Canada Kicks Ass
Ontario budget deficit could hit $ 10 billion

Previous  1  2

kenmore @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Ontario's problems started long before McGuinty....you guessed it .. it started with being screwed over by mike harris.. another inept tory..

mtbr @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Ontario's problems started long before McGuinty....you guessed it .. it started with being screwed over by mike harris.. another inept tory..

and Canada's problems started long before Harper...shall we count the Liberal idiots in the line up :P

bootlegga @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:12 pm

mtbr mtbr:
so Alberta should cut spending while the rest of the world does the opposite in an attempt to stimulate the economy? Alberta is short of infrastructure now is the time to build it.

You can start your crying after we're in the hole not before. at this rate it might take 7 years.

Too bad ole Ralph always kept the one promise he got elected on..kill the debt. Terrible 8O how dare a politician do such thing :roll:

The 'debt' was a mostly PC creation.

We owed $22 billion and had $14 billion in the bank (Heritage Trust Fund). Instead of cashing in our RRSPs (HTF) and paying most of it off, he choose to take the long route, by cutting back heavily on daily cappucinos (spending).

He laid off people left and right and forced those who survived to take pay cuts, causing many of them to leave for greener pastures. Then, a few years later when the economy boomed, guess which province had a shortage of professionals (medical, trades, you name it)?

Many hospitals are still under-stafffed due to Klein's cuts in the 1990s, which provides ammunition to the private medicare malcontents, who constantly bitch about long ER waits and poor care. They conveniently forget that Klein's cuts decimated the health care profession in this province.

I'll give credit where it's due.The annual spending deficit, now that Klein got rid of, and (hopefully) prevented with anti-deficit spending legislation. I think if Getty had had his way, we'd be like Quebec right now, reliant on transfer payments and high taxes.

If you want to create Klein with 'debt elimination', you also have to credit him with poor management of the boom that followed.

mtbr @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:24 pm

$1:
The 'debt' was a mostly PC creation.

the federal debt was created mostly by Liberals
$1:
We owed $22 billion and had $14 billion in the bank (Heritage Trust Fund). Instead of cashing in our RRSPs (HTF) and paying most of it off, he choose to take the long route, by cutting back heavily on daily cappucinos He laid off people left and right and forced those who survived to take pay cuts, causing many of them to leave for greener pastures. Then, a few years later when the economy boomed, guess which province had a shortage of professionals (medical, trades, you name it)? (spending).

Take your pick you can argue white when it's black and black when it's white

$1:
Many hospitals are still under-stafffed due to Klein's cuts in the 1990s, which provides ammunition to the private medicare malcontents, who constantly bitch about long ER waits and poor care. They conveniently forget that Klein's cuts decimated the health care profession in this province.

name a healthcare region in the country that isn't short staffed, Surprised you didn't mention blowing up hospitals :roll: Every hospital in Calgary has been an ongoing construction site with expansion for the last 10 years..including the new one under construction. Show me some stats that prove Alberta Health care is so bad compared to the rest of the country.

$1:
I'll give credit where it's due.The annual spending deficit, now that Klein got rid of, and (hopefully) prevented with anti-deficit spending legislation. I think if Getty had had his way, we'd be like Quebec right now, reliant on transfer payments and high taxes.

I agree 8O
Getty was just a dumb football player, a political opportunist. Just like Iggy.

uwish @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Alberta health care is among the best in the nation when it comes to cardiology etc. They released a report about 2 years ago that says IF you ever have a heart attack, have it in Calgary your chances are the highest for survival.

bootlegga @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm

mtbr mtbr:
the federal debt was created mostly by Liberals

Bait and switch...

Whatever...the ALBERTA DEBT was ENTIRELY a PC creation.

mtbr mtbr:
Take your pick you can argue white when it's black and black when it's white

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

mtbr mtbr:
name a healthcare region in the country that isn't short staffed, Surprised you didn't mention blowing up hospitals :roll: Every hospital in Calgary has been an ongoing construction site with expansion for the last 10 years..including the new one under construction. Show me some stats that prove Alberta Health care is so bad compared to the rest of the country.

I never said it was bad. I think it's great. I said;

$1:
the private medicare malcontents, who constantly bitch about long ER waits and poor care.

ryan29 @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm

kenmore kenmore:

thats a myth that the ontario liberals have been very sucessful at geting people to believe . the fact is the province was doing just fine under the governments of the ontario pc party , jobs were plentiful , the economy was strong , the province was never close to going into have not status , housing starts climbed in most areas , the provinces finances were in good shape as well .
the province was far from screwed under harris that is simply a myth and not true .

ryan29 @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:30 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
ryan29 ryan29:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
Yup. All McGuinty's fault. The unprecedented shitstorm going on to the south has NOTHING to do with it.

but ontario's economy has been in trouble long before the recent economic uncertainy on wall street . dalton has had a couple of years to come up with a plan to deal with things and he has not and it continues to get worse . if he can't solve this economic uncertainty facing the province then its time he goes .

And replace him with who, the guy who can't even win his own seat?

well at least john tory has extensive experience and a positive record when it comes to the economy . did you know he once was head of the cfl and was credited for turning it around from an unsuccessful organization to a successful one ? and he was also head of / involved with rogers communications for a number of years.
he also ran for mayor of toronto and almost won , which is too bad cause then there'd be no david miller .

toronto is a tough city for non-liberals , you know even jack layton lost his first attempt at a seat there in 1997 ? so at one time jack layton could not win his own seat in toronto either .

hurley_108 @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
well at least john tory has extensive experience and a positive record when it comes to the economy . did you know he once was head of the cfl and was credited for turning it around from an unsuccessful organization to a successful one ? and he was also head of / involved with rogers communications for a number of years.
he also ran for mayor of toronto and almost won , which is too bad cause then there'd be no david miller .

toronto is a tough city for non-liberals , you know even jack layton lost his first attempt at a seat there in 1997 ? so at one time jack layton could not win his own seat in toronto either .

Over in the other thread, you're spouting off election results as if those are the alpha and omega of a politician's capabilities, but here you're decrying certain regions as being biased to certain parties. Hypocrite.

hurley_108 @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
the provinces finances were in good shape as well .

You mean that $5.6B hidden deficit?

Proculation @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Pfff, in Quebec, we have 10$G deficit/year.
It's hidden but we know it and we don't care. Try to beat that HURLEY ! 8)

ryan29 @ Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 am

opps , looks like i was off by a few billion , it seems like were poorer in ontario than first though .

Ontario deficit to hit $17B
By ANTONELLA ARTUSO, QUEEN'S PARK BUREAU CHIEF

Last Updated: 27th February 2009, 3:24am

Ontario's deficit will hit a minimum of $13 billion in 2009-10 and steadily rise to at least $17 billion by 2012-13, TD Bank's chief economist says.

These projections are based on existing spending patterns, and do not include any additional investments to stimulate the economy, Don Drummond said yesterday.

"Even to achieve the deficits I'm talking about they have to slightly tighten spending growth relative to what it's been in the recent past," he said in an interview. "It's a lot higher than people are thinking and it's a graphic illustration to me that there is a structural deficit in Ontario."

PC Leader John Tory said Ontario sailed into this recession with high business tax rates, a ballooning public sector and staggering private sector job losses, so it's ill positioned to deal with the rccession.

"I don't believe these people know the meaning of restraint," Tory said of the Dalton McGuinty government. "They just know how to spend big time."

Tory and his party's finance critic, Tim Hudak, presented their pre-budget look at the province's economy yesterday, in advance of the Liberal government's March 26 budget that is expected to include a $5- to $10-billion deficit for 2008-09.

Since the Liberals gained power in 2003, provincial spending has swallowed up $27 billion in additional revenues.

[email protected]

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2 ... 1-sun.html

hurley_108 @ Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 am

Yet more C&P. Got any of your own thoughts to add, ryan?

Axeman @ Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 am

ryan29 ryan29:

thats a myth that the ontario liberals have been very sucessful at geting people to believe . the fact is the province was doing just fine under the governments of the ontario pc party , jobs were plentiful , the economy was strong , the province was never close to going into have not status , housing starts climbed in most areas , the provinces finances were in good shape as well .
the province was far from screwed under harris that is simply a myth and not true .

Even a turkey can fly in a stong enough wind. The good economic times under Harris were coincidental with an upswing in the business cycle that would have existed whether Liberal government, PC government or communist government in Ontario. Furthermore, the economy was much more greatly affected by the Federal Liberal's policies than the Provincial Conservatives'.

Previous  1  2