Canada Kicks Ass
La Ronge being evacuated

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

They just announced over the emergency broadcast that La Ronge, Air Ronge and Lac la Ronge are being evacuated. people are being told to grab meds, some clothes and assemble for evacuation. That's thousands of people. They're being moved to Cold lake.

$1:
There are 9,935 people in the Lac La Ronge Indian Band, according to the band's website, with 6,399 living on reserve, and 3,536 people living off.

Census data from 2011 shows the town of La Ronge has a population of 2,304 people, while 1,043 people live in Air Ronge.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3138560

Thanos @ Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:14 pm

1) set off fireworks in defiance of dry-conditions warning
2) forest goes ablaze
3) free evacuation & temp housing courtesy of Whitey the Sucker
4) get new house from the government next year due to current one being burnt down
5) ??????
6) profit!

Public_Domain @ Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanos Thanos:
2) forest goes ablaze
4) get new house from the government next year due to current one being burnt down
5) ??????
6) profit!

sheesh dude.

don't think white people would get this courtesy...? or feel that there shouldn't be assistance?

source on it being natives, or anyone specific, causing this during this dry-as-fuck summer?

this is just bloodthirsty

Thanos @ Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:11 pm

just me being an asshole. my new (old) default mode that is. shep's comment about the idiots setting off fireworks after being warned* not to pissed me off.

*warned not to because it almost assuredly would set the forest on fire, not warned because it was The Man sticking it to anyone who wanted to have some harmless fun

Public_Domain @ Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:20 pm

idiots who set off fireworks should definitely be punished/publicly displayed for communal condemnation

smelt like BBQ here last night, north of hy33 was fire, i don't think fireworks are just a dum injun thing

anyway, i have family in the cold lake area... the prairies look like a damn powderkeg ready to go
File comment: from cbc
fire-danger-map.jpg
fire-danger-map.jpg [ 138.75 KiB | Viewed 479 times ]
manitoba sure looks nice, if the entire south of it didn't deal with a hell of a storm warning all day

Jabberwalker @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:05 am

Man, the only low hazard areas in the West are alpine glaciers!

Public_Domain @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 am

it's been a little warm this year

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:15 am

The fires around La Ronge were burning well before Canada Day. Lack of rain, dry lightning and the wrong winds are major culprits. The area is mostly mining and it isn't poor. My wife went to university with one of the supers(divisional office is there) and they grabbed what they could and got the hell out yesterday. He said he didn't know if he'd see his house again.

Public_Domain @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:33 am

hope everyone will be alright, and hopefully cold lake and the other communities can handle that surprising volume. seeing how sulfuric bc/alberta/sask is looking it looks the troubles are just beginning this year.

uncomfortable with the risks near my city, evacuation orders for the past two days, i suppose i can thank my lucky stars that i live deep enough in-town that if my house ended up at risk, the city would be basically lost.

i've never heard of such a large community being moved in canada, are there any larger known incidents?

FinnyTheDog @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:

i've never heard of such a large community being moved in canada, are there any larger known incidents?

The Mississauga train derailment of 1979 evacuated more than 200,000.

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:59 am

Hurricane Katrina and the evacuation of New Orleans was larger.....it's still a pretty major move for a sparsely populated area.

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 am

Many of the people in La Ronge are leaving/left in their own vehicles.....and fifth wheels(miners).

Jabberwalker @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:48 am

I drove right through a still smouldering forest fire on the Klondyke highway that was about 100 miles across. It was an awesome, powerful sight.

Robair @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:57 am

Heading to SK for family reunion, will be there Friday.
Hope the smoke clears a bit.

I don't see torrential downpour in the forecast.

fifeboy @ Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanos Thanos:
2) forest goes ablaze
5) ??????
6) profit!

La Ronge white/aboriginal population is about 3/1