Canada Kicks Ass
English signs in Quebec

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12 ... 18  Next

MacDonaill @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Congio Congio:
Well, yes I don't know as much as you do. But I am here to learn.

Many generations you say... That does change the idea.

All I am just saying is that Canada should be bilingual. You can not be against this, can you?

Some people are against it, but I am not. I am a strong proponent of bilingualism.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:07 pm

MacDonaill....... I challenge you on one point sir.........French is indeed an official language in Ontario.. it is also an official language in all other provinces and territories.. French and English are Canadas two official language and it is enshrined in the constitutiion.. bilingualism and official language are totally two different things... and as for the government of ontario.. residents have the right to be served in either language..

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Canada based on the official languages act.. should be bilingual and it should be free to take courses in french or english... which is not the case.. I believe more people would learn both if it were free and available to them...

Benoit @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:23 pm

MacDonaill MacDonaill:
Congio Congio:
Well, yes I don't know as much as you do. But I am here to learn.

Many generations you say... That does change the idea.

All I am just saying is that Canada should be bilingual. You can not be against this, can you?

Some people are against it, but I am not. I am a strong proponent of bilingualism.

As a state, Canada has a duty not to thwart the (cultural) development of the nations on its territory; it doesn’t have to adopt several particular national languages as official languages.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Hello... what part of two languages French and English being the official languages of Canada dont you understand.? those are the only two that are recognized in the charter and used in business and the legal system... end of story...

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:22 pm

Language and Aboriginal Rights
Not only does the Constitution provide for individual rights and freedoms, but also two important sets of group rights.

The first set of group rights centres on the English and French languages. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms recognizes both of these as Canada’s official languages. The Charter also recognizes these languages as having equality of status in all federal government institutions, as well as in all New Brunswick provincial government institutions (New Brunswick has significant English and French populations). The Charter also extends several minority language education rights. This means, for example, that French or English citizens who are part of the linguistic minority in a province have the right to have their children educated in that minority language.

Benoit @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Hello... what part of two languages French and English being the official languages of Canada dont you understand.? those are the only two that are recognized in the charter and used in business and the legal system... end of story...

It’s not the end, it’s the beginning of the story (a history linked to the American one). If Canada would decide to scrap French as an official language, a war of independence on the part of a majority of Quebecers would still not be a just war.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:43 pm

from the french languages act of ontario Whereas the French language is an historic and honoured language in Ontario and
recognized by the Constitution as an official language in Canada; and whereas in
Ontario the French language is recognized as an official language in the courts and in
education; and whereas the Legislative Assembly recognizes the contribution of the
cultural heritage of the French speaking population and wishes to preserve it for
future generations; and whereas it is desirable to guarantee the use of the French
language in institutions of the Legislature and the Government of Ontario, as
provided in this Act […]

Benoit @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:58 pm

kenmore kenmore:
[...]and whereas it is desirable to guarantee the use of the French language in institutions of the Legislature and the Government of Ontario, as provided in this Act […]

"Desirable" is a weak legal term.

kenmore @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:10 pm

and you are a lawyer I take it... suffice to say french right to language is guaranteed in Ontario...when dealing with government....

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:37 pm

$1:
As a state, Canada has a duty not to thwart the (cultural) development of the nations on its territory; it doesn’t have to adopt several particular national languages as official languages.

There is only one nation within the Canadian State......Canada, which has only two official languages.

RUEZ @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Congio Congio:
But it isn't. Try to speak French with any one in BC. Good luck. So why should Quebec be so generus and become English friendly?

It's just not fair.
BC has a government funded French immersion program. It's open to any child that wishes to enroll, and it's quite popular. I understand that in Quebec, in order to take English schooling, you must have an English speaking parent or some such crap. Is that fair?

Tman1 @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:13 pm

kenmore kenmore:
it is also an official language in all other provinces and territories.. French and English are Canadas two official language and it is enshrined in the constitutiion.. bilingualism and official language are totally two different things... and as for the government of ontario.. residents have the right to be served in either language..

No it is not. It is not an official language of Saskatchewan, Alberta, or B.C but does provide education of French immersion and other services in French on a federal level...so to speak.
$1:
bilingualism and official language are totally two different things... and as for the government of ontario..

Indeed. One person chooses to speak another language, another is forced upon people one way or another.
$1:
residents have the right to be served in either language..

Then should that not include Quebec? One problem with that. You can't force another to speak another language so whether you "want" to be served in your language, whatever it may be, it probably won't be so because I'm not going to learn French where I work, just to serve you....harsh as it sounds, its the truth and includes Quebec as well.

Tman1 @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Congio Congio:
If you want English in Quebec, they have the right to want French in all the rest of Canada. - 'Give what they want and then take what you want'.

Sorry what? Who conquered Quebec? You were granted your language and religion and now you demand the rest of Canada learn French for the sake of 7 million people mainly concentrated in one area? Sorry chump, doesn't work that way and the stupid comments like yours makes me not want this country to be bilingual already than it is.
$1:
But it isn't. Try to speak French with any one in BC. Good luck. So why should Quebec be so generus and become English friendly?

It's just not fair.

Learn history, you'll see that life is not fair nor is your language issues or separation anxiety.

Holy shit...just realized you weren't even from Quebec....which stymies me and you position on the matter. In any case, if you are from Poland..where education seems lacking on Canada it seems, read up on it and educate yourself. Remember, its the second largest country in the world, not the United States.

Pimpbrewski @ Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
kenmore kenmore:
it is also an official language in all other provinces and territories.. French and English are Canadas two official language and it is enshrined in the constitutiion.. bilingualism and official language are totally two different things... and as for the government of ontario.. residents have the right to be served in either language..

No it is not. It is not an official language of Saskatchewan, Alberta, or B.C but does provide education of French immersion and other services in French on a federal level...so to speak.
$1:
bilingualism and official language are totally two different things... and as for the government of ontario..

Indeed. One person chooses to speak another language, another is forced upon people one way or another.
$1:
residents have the right to be served in either language..

Then should that not include Quebec? One problem with that. You can't force another to speak another language so whether you "want" to be served in your language, whatever it may be, it probably won't be so because I'm not going to learn French where I work, just to serve you....harsh as it sounds, its the truth and includes Quebec as well.

So, homeboy decides to show up all of sudden :lol: PDT_Armataz_01_34

Agree, French should not be forced on anyone in the ROC.

Neither should English in QC I guess, but, it could always be part of it in some ways.

Still, those remain the official languages of Canada. By that I mean, there should not be arabic, cantonese, or spanish or whatever spoken here.

It's plain and simple, learn the language.

(Although I would love to hear B speak in that Dutch accent :wink:) I love European accents, turns me on.

:)

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12 ... 18  Next