Canada Kicks Ass
Retailers to fight Quebec's language police in court

Previous  1  2

peck420 @ Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't see these corporations caring all that much about either outcome, honestly.

There is no way that changing a couple signs is going to cause as big of a revenue drop as closing stores would.

Corporations don't run on emotion or feeling, just black vs red.

Best case scenario, case is thrown out.

Worst case scenario, some corporations get different signs made for Quebec outlets.

Zipperfish @ Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Walmart vs PQ. Hard to pick the villain in that one.

QBall @ Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
QBall QBall:
sorry welfare asses

Wow.

That was me being cordial. :lol:

Proculation @ Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:18 am

Also, the target is ONLY English. Shops with arabic, italian, greek, etc names are never targeted by those no-life self-proclaimed 'patriots'. However, they are mostly just a few making those complaints. I've read that about 80% of complaints made at the Office de Langue Française are made by a handful of people. One guy had hundreds of complaints in one year... As I sais: no life.

jambo101 @ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 am

Jughead Jughead:

Not sure what the language police plan to accomplish by going to court on this.

I'm not a law expert, but I believe that brand names and/or registered trademarks cannot be altered. Therefore in this case it appears that the language police have bitten off more than they can chew. They clearly do not have a case. I also recall that the language law although restrictive and discriminatory, makes exceptions for English only brand names and registered trademarks. Not sure what law the language police will use when fighting this in court. Their case right now doesn't look very promising. It may actually backfire. When the retailers win their case, other retailers will see the victory as an opportunity to start putting up English only signs.

Under Bill101 the French can do just about anything they want and call it protecting the French language..
I remember when this Bill101 came out saying thats like giving Quebec a blank cheque to do anything it wants and they've used that piece of legislation very effectively to eradicate most of the English culture from Quebec,.
Had Ottawa stepped in early in the game and arrested Levesque and his separatists for treason Quebec would still be a thriving province with the two cultures co existing happily side by side, Instead we now have a province fast becoming a Xenophobic cultural backwater that will become totally irrelevant in the global community,akin to a Cuba of the north.
I'd love to see all these big box stores stand up to this tinpot dictatorship and tell them to shove their french signs and shut down all 155 stores..

vickyD @ Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:59 am

4 years later and retailer closings are getting worst.

Zellers
Jacobs
Mexx
Sears

Do people not realise the loss of jobs? The population is growing.
I'm a Greek Canadian but I believe that the language shouuld be protected but when you want big businesses to invest.you have to find solutions.

Previous  1  2