Canada Kicks Ass
Shoddy Quebec Workmanship

grainfedprairieboy @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Owner of collapsed Que. building say event was unfortunate, unforeseeable

So roofs are caving in all over Quebec but being blamed on snow loads. Gee whiz, it snows a lot in Quebec doesn't it? You'd think after 400 winters (all with snow) the Quebec provincial building code would recognize that fact.

From collapsing bridges to the crumpling Olympic stadium, Quebec engineering and construction skills are certainly world renowned but in a South Korean sort of way. I personally don't begrudge the engineers though, I reckon it's just shoddy French workmanship or typical Quebec style graft and/or organised crime skimming off on construction materials.

DerbyX @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Did you have a fight with the wife today?

mtbr @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Shoddy workmanship and inspections led to the overpass collapse

[web]http://www.dianaswednesday.com/2007/10/johnson-commission-report-on-laval-overpass-collapse/[/web]

grainfedprairieboy @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Did you have a fight with the wife today?

ROTFL

Red_Eye @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:19 am

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:

So roofs are caving in all over Quebec but being blamed on snow loads. Gee whiz, it snows a lot in Quebec doesn't it? You'd think after 400 winters (all with snow) the Quebec provincial building code would recognize that fact.

From collapsing bridges to the crumpling Olympic stadium, Quebec engineering and construction skills are certainly world renowned but in a South Korean sort of way. I personally don't begrudge the engineers though, I reckon it's just shoddy French workmanship or typical Quebec style graft and/or organised crime skimming off on construction materials.
Again with this generalization. I's be looking at the houses that are being built in Alberta at the moment. Everyone is making a killing putting them up, hardly nailed , whatch them fall in a couple of years..

I put up houses in the Toronto area in 86 during that boom. Man you want to see shoddy workman ship , pathetic. Quebec construction standards (on paper, theres always some asshat that creaps through the cracks) is a head and above the Canadian construction codes.
We are 20 years a head of NewHampshire standards.

Your sense critisizing reminds me of the dill holes back during the ice storm of 98 when they bashed the electric company here of spacing electrical poles too far apart for something that is supposedly happenes once every hundred years.

Sorry Grain , usually you have solid argueing points but this one is below what your capable. Its just a reason to bash Quebec.

Record weather situations are never calculated in the construction code.

ziggy @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 am

Red_Eye Red_Eye:

Again with this generalization. I's be looking at the houses that are being built in Alberta at the moment. Everyone is making a killing putting them up, hardly nailed , whatch them fall in a couple of years..

I put up houses in the Toronto area in 86 during that boom. Man you want to see shoddy workman ship , pathetic. Quebec construction standards (on paper, theres always some asshat that creaps through the cracks) is a head and above the Canadian construction codes.

Your sense critisizing reminds me of the dill holes back during the ice storm of 98 when they bashed the electric company here of spacing electrical poles too far apart for something that is supposedly happenes once every hundred years.

Sorry Grain , usually you have solid argueing points but this one is below what your capable. Its just a reason to bash Quebec.

Yes they are,pincher creek is a fine example,the building codes across Canada use this town as a base for huge winds and what they do to buildings. Insurance companies are like that. 8O

Red_Eye @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:31 am

ziggy ziggy:
Red_Eye Red_Eye:

Yes they are,pincher creek is a fine example,the building codes across Canada use this town as a base for huge winds and what they do to buildings. Insurance companies are like that. 8O
Regional needs are incorporated. Ilse de la Madelene has wind to contend with. B.C. may have termites and moisture to deal with.(not totally aware , assuming). Isulation must be a big factor too up north.

Red_Eye @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:02 am

mtbr mtbr:
Shoddy workmanship and inspections led to the overpass collapse

[web]http://www.dianaswednesday.com/2007/10/johnson-commission-report-on-laval-overpass-collapse/[/web]
We had always had a problem with big Construction companies dealing with government contracts. Roads in Quebec are notorious, A blind man would know exactly when he is in Quebec. IMO roads should be given to outside provincial contractors to build.

As for the bridge falling down just boils down to no one stepped up and claimed responsability. Just passed the buck and the company made money with the least of material. Sad. Should be criminal.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:21 am

Jeez, Quebec sounds as Third World as Taiwan when it comes to building codes. In the big quake of 1999, buildings came tumbling down because contractors were cutting corners with the concrete. Inspectors found old cooking oil cans and rolled up newspapers in the concrete of some of the buildings, in other substandard rebar was used.

A few years back the Gao-Ping bridge(on the north-south Island highway that connects Pingtung County with Kaohsiung came tumbling down, because local assholes were stealing the gravel around the bridge foundations. Other idiots have been electrocuted on the high speed rail line trying to steel copper, while others dump shit like xylene into the water source for Kaohsiung city. Greed, corruption and gross stupidity are endemic within Taiwanese society. I lost a couple of co-workers as a result of their backward practices when I was working on Kinmen. While teaching them English is frustrating, it's still definitely safer than the shit I used to have to deal with. Now it's only the idiots driving that I have to put up with, not shoddy engineering, surveying and ordnance storage and disposal.

fire_i @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Bullshit, Grainfed. I can see the stink lines coming out of this one.

1) This is the most snowy winter ever recorded in Quebec. Hardly normal circumstances.
2) The building code itself is adequate - only poor maintenance and entrepreneurs that don't follow it when building stuff cause things to collapse all over the place in the province these days. Of course you use that to ridicule Quebec as usual, completely disregarding the fact that everything is being done to prevent this from happening again nowadays... (and that goes without saying everything that falls apart was built like 30-40 years ago - that's a whole lot of time, and extrapolating anything about the present situation basing yourself on stuff that happened many decades ago is putting a bucket over your head)
3) It's a well-known fact that roofs freaking have to be shoveled, and it's the company's fault for not having done that. If someone is to be blamed for the accident, it's the company for not shoveling the roof - not whoever built the damn thing, and definitely not the building code.