Time to do something about the nasty 'Rolling Coal' fad

1  2  3  Next

bootlegga @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/0 ... 61477.html

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/a ... lling-coal

DrCaleb @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 am

Another douchebag practice than needs legislation. :roll:

bootlegga @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 am

I saw one in St. Albert recently, so I contacted a couple government ministries (Environment and Justice) and both informed me that these are still legal under current laws.

Unbelievable!

Canadian_Mind @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 am

Most guys that roll coal have multiple powertrain "tunes" they can switch between. They aren't always rolling coal. You're literally burning $10 dollars worth of fuel for every minute of coal rolling if you get a good roll going on.

And for that same reason, it'd be next to impossible to enforce. If someone accuses you of it, you just switch from your coal tune to a tow tune or what have you. And just because a tune causes coal rolling on one truck doesn't mean the same tune will have the same effect on a different truck.

For instance, when I drop A PMax turbo into my truck, the same combo of tunes that would cause my truck to roll coal and waste fuel with a stock turbo will actually lead to a better power boost and more efficient use of fuel.

All that said, I do think rolling coal is a waste of time, money, and energy.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I saw one in St. Albert recently, so I contacted a couple government ministries (Environment and Justice) and both informed me that these are still legal under current laws.

Unbelievable!

I know a guy in Calgary who prides himself on having a 1000hp truck that will take most performance cars at 0-60, but it belches so much smoke it you'd think it's on fire.

"Banks Engineering" makes lots of mods for diesel vehicles and always prides themselves on never ever making black smoke doing it. So, it really doesn't have to belch smoke.

Why do people have to be such dicks?

Canadian_Mind @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Unbelievable!

I know a guy in Calgary who prides himself on having a 1000hp truck that will take most performance cars at 0-60, but it belches so much smoke it you'd think it's on fire.

"Banks Engineering" makes lots of mods for diesel vehicles and always prides themselves on never ever making black smoke doing it. So, it really doesn't have to belch smoke.

Honestly, sometimes it's fun to be a dick. I'd elaborate, but I'd have to write a book again. Basically boils down to when you only care about yourself, life is easier and more fun than when you take other people and the consequences of your actions into consideration.

Also, the whole better fuel economy thing is BS. The black shit you see is effectively unburnt fuel. You want your fuel chains to break down into their smallest parts completely. The black soot is just smaller chains which weren't fully broken down, which means you didn't get the maximum energy potential out of them.

I'd also reccomend SCT as a tuner over Banks. That said, Banks makes a nice intercooler.

bootlegga @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:17 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Most guys that roll coal have multiple powertrain "tunes" they can switch between. They aren't always rolling coal. You're literally burning $10 dollars worth of fuel for every minute of coal rolling if you get a good roll going on.

And for that same reason, it'd be next to impossible to enforce. If someone accuses you of it, you just switch from your coal tune to a tow tune or what have you. And just because a tune causes coal rolling on one truck doesn't mean the same tune will have the same effect on a different truck.

For instance, when I drop A PMax turbo into my truck, the same combo of tunes that would cause my truck to roll coal and waste fuel with a stock turbo will actually lead to a better power boost and more efficient use of fuel.

All that said, I do think rolling coal is a waste of time, money, and energy.

I know they aren't always rolling coal - I've seen a couple driving around the Capital Region.

It's dead easy to enforce.

First, you make removing the emissions inhibitors illegal, with fines starting at $10k for shops caught doing it. Then, you allow drivers to report those who roll coal to police and hand out fines for dangerous/reckless driving or something like that. Some education/training would tell cops exactly what to look for - just like they did on the legislation for loud motorcycles.

It might take some effort, but it's certainly doable.

The only problem is that all the parties in Alberta are vying for the hard right vote for the next election, so none of them want to go 'nanny state' on them, for fear of a backlash.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

DanSC @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:48 am

I don't like rolling coal, but the articles written on the topic are remarkable. I haven't read so much prose containing so many codewords and dog whistles since the Trayvon Martin shooting.

jj2424 @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:52 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Unbelievable!

Don't you own a couple of V8s and race them too? Bit of a hypocrite I must say. These guys are dicks and you aren't much better [B-o]

DrCaleb @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:00 pm

jj2424 jj2424:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Unbelievable!

Don't you own a couple of V8s and race them too? Bit of a hypocrite I must say. These guys are dicks and you aren't much better [B-o]

Coming from you, I have to say <3!

No, I race Wankel engines, and non smoking ones at that.

My truck is a V8, and it also is clean burning and quiet, with an SCT tuner to give more power with less fuel. XD Nice try though, you should team up with Xort! Perhaps the two of you together might successfully troll an elementary school kid!

jj2424 @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Hypocrite Hypocrite..no matter how you slice it.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Troll harder JJ. Perhaps ask Andy for lessons.

Regina @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I've never heard of this. 8O

N_Fiddledog @ Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Honestly, sometimes it's fun to be a dick. I'd elaborate, but I'd have to write a book again. Basically boils down to when you only care about yourself, life is easier and more fun than when you take other people and the consequences of your actions into consideration.

You mean for that special feeling you get down in the sub-cockle region of your heart?

Like in this old classic.

1  2  3  Next