Google "La révolution tranquille".

Jabberwalker @ Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:52 pm

raydan raydan:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
What happened to the Church in Quebec?

Google "La révolution tranquille".

I was there. I am an eye witness.

sandorski @ Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:11 pm

I think we have to tolerate the intolerant, to a point. That point is around where the Intolerant attempt to impose their intolerance upon Others. Otherwise, you don't have Liberty.

Jabberwalker @ Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:35 pm

I've often thought that the temperance movement was quite intemperate in their temperance.

ccga3359 @ Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:41 pm

andyt andyt:
I see Hitchins arguing for Christianity being taught in schools - good luck with that. That's exactly how to open the door for the Muslims to push for the same thing. Secularism is the only way out of the mess. As I say, the Christians are as much of the problem as Muslims are.

Remember though, England does have a state religion. Although Protestantism (if that is a word) isn't rammed down people's throats there and other religions are recognized, it would be harder to argue separation of church and state.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:07 am

andyt andyt:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
andyt andyt:
I see Hitchins arguing for Christianity being taught in schools - good luck with that. That's exactly how to open the door for the Muslims to push for the same thing. Secularism is the only way out of the mess. As I say, the Christians are as much of the problem as Muslims are.

Get a grip bud. The big difference is most of the Christians I know are not interested in having Christianity taught in our public schools. They are fully cognizant of the fact there is a time and place for everything. Why do you think the CHPC is now defunct?

If you seriously think secularism will be the "only way out of the mess", then you obviously haven't been paying attention to France.

Most Muslim are also not advocating for teaching Islam in school. Both groups have their fundamentalists that do. However, Christian fundamentalists and theocrats actually have their hands on the levers of power in some cases, and can refer to our history, which is Christian. Problem is, we need to be closing that door further, not opening it for one group or the other.
The door is being closed and has been for years. Again, a 67% Christian population showed without question they are NOT interested in being ruled by any religion as a form of govt. Nor do I see their support for such a measure increasing anytime soon.
Unless you're suggesting that nobody who is remotely religious should be allowed to run for senior level govt positions, I don't see how "secularism" can prevent religious people from running for office.
There was all kinds of hype in the past about Harper being a religious fundie. Despite the hype he's either not a fundie or he knows better than to try and shove religious crap on Canadians via govt legislation. He may suck as PM otherwise but he's not that stupid.

andyt andyt:
I very much doubt that France's problems arise from secularism or that their problems would be solved by returning to Christian domination in govt.

Jesus yer thick some days. France's problems don't arise from secularism, they arise in spite of their commitment to secularism. Your argument was that secularism would "clean the mess up" over here. France is proof that secularism does nothing to stop religious fundies from forcing their mores on others. It may not be coming from the govt, but the govt sure seems either powerless or uninterested in preventing it from happening at a neighbourhood level.

andyt @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 am

It may not be coming from the govt, but the govt sure seems either powerless or uninterested in preventing it from happening at a neighbourhood level.

The govt isn't powerless. It's uninterested because the votes aren't there for it to act. As usual, it comes down to the electorate, they get what they deserve.

In BC, our biggest problem for religion in school is with Bountiful, they're free to teach all kinds of bullshit, publicly funded, because the govt is afraid to act. Doesn't set a good precedent for when Muslims demand the same deal. In Ontario there are still the separate school systems, protestant and catholic. That's bullshit that needs to be eliminated. But for the real worry, all we need to do is look south, and all the bullshit that the Christians get up to there in schools and in govt. I always worry because we seem to like to import whatever is going on down there. We need to clean up our constitution and government practices to keep religion out, or, as I say, at some point the Muslims will be able to launch a charter challenge that they want a special deal too, and good chance of being successful.

BartSimpson @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 am

Tolerance should be mutual elsewise it is foolishness on the part of the person who is tolerant of those who hate him.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:28 am

Tolerating hatred is easy....it's when they act on that hatred, that's when toleration ends.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 am

andyt andyt:
It may not be coming from the govt, but the govt sure seems either powerless or uninterested in preventing it from happening at a neighbourhood level.

The govt isn't powerless. It's uninterested because the votes aren't there for it to act. As usual, it comes down to the electorate, they get what they deserve.
Yep. A secular country that does nothing to halt the growing religious fundamentalism that is destroying their society. If you're going to argue the benefits of secularism, you'll have to do better than blaming the electorate for the lack of govt action.

andyt andyt:
In BC, our biggest problem for religion in school is with Bountiful, they're free to teach all kinds of bullshit, publicly funded, because the govt is afraid to act. Doesn't set a good precedent for when Muslims demand the same deal. In Ontario there are still the separate school systems, protestant and catholic. That's bullshit that needs to be eliminated. But for the real worry, all we need to do is look south, and all the bullshit that the Christians get up to there in schools and in govt. I always worry because we seem to like to import whatever is going on down there. We need to clean up our constitution and government practices to keep religion out, or, as I say, at some point the Muslims will be able to launch a charter challenge that they want a special deal too, and good chance of being successful.

The Charter is VERY specific about separate school systems ONLY being available to Protestants and Catholics. There are no provisions for any other religion to operate their own school boards with public funding. There isn't even any wiggle room for such. On top of that, any Charter challenge by Muslims would also fall flat seeing as how the UN has been bitching at us for years about our existing separate school system.

andyt @ Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am

I always blame the electorate for govt actions. For France to confront its Muslims, it would have to deal with rioting. The only way the govt will do that is if the majority of the population is solidly behind it. Similar to the situation with our Natives.

As we've seen with Bountiful, it doesn't take a separate school system, just a community of likeminded people and a govt afraid to act.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 am

andyt andyt:
I always blame the electorate for govt actions. For France to confront its Muslims, it would have to deal with rioting. The only way the govt will do that is if the majority of the population is solidly behind it. Similar to the situation with our Natives.

As we've seen with Bountiful, it doesn't take a separate school system, just a community of likeminded people and a govt afraid to act.

In other words, secularism won't "clean up the mess" despite your assurance to the contrary.
If govt action(or inaction as the case may be) is dependent upon the will of the people, then I fail to see how having a secular govt will change anything that's going on with Bountiful.

BartSimpson @ Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Speaking of intolerance...

Previous  1  2