Canada Kicks Ass
Arctic Hits Its Hottest Temperature Ever

1  2  Next

Scape @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Wow, the Arctic is going to be totally ice free again just like it's been for twenty years now.

Scape @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm

What worries me is the heat levels that are here now were not predicted for another 80 years.

Something has clearly gone wrong/not accounted for and it needs to be found out why the models are so off. Getting people off carbon is going to take a very long time in the current political climate but if anything the pandemic has shown change is possible.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:44 pm

Scape Scape:
What worries me is the heat levels that are here now were not predicted for another 80 years.

Something has clearly gone wrong/not accounted for and it needs to be found out why the models are so off. Getting people off carbon is going to take a very long time in the current political climate but if anything the pandemic has shown change is possible.

Naw, it's just weather. And weather has nothing to do with climate so I have been told...at least when it's cold.

BeaverFever @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Scape Scape:

Naw, it's just weather. And weather has nothing to do with climate so I have been told...at least when it's cold.

You still can’t tel the difference between climate and weather :D

Martin15 @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 am

Scape Scape:
why the models are so off.

this part is true. :D

$1:
Getting people off carbon is going to take a very long time in the current political climate but if anything the pandemic has shown change is possible.

Not when the full economic damage from the virus comes in.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:34 am

Martin15 Martin15:
$1:
Getting people off carbon is going to take a very long time in the current political climate but if anything the pandemic has shown change is possible.

Not when the full economic damage from the virus comes in.

Because it will make the economic damage from warming seem like a tiny bump.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Scape Scape:

No, he'll point to record lows in the south and call it global cooling, while ignoring record highs at the exact same time in Alaska.

Cognitive bias is like that. Until he sees it, he'll be subject to its whims.

PluggyRug @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

No, he'll point to record lows in the south and call it global cooling, while ignoring record highs at the exact same time in Alaska.

You mean seeing record highs in Alaska and calling it global warming, whilst ignoring record lows in the south, that type of cognitive bias. :wink:

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You mean seeing record highs in Alaska and calling it global warming, whilst ignoring record lows in the south, that type of cognitive bias. :wink:

No, the cognitive bias that lets you think one is and the other is not significant in the statistical realm. Polar vortexes were shown to be a symptom of global warming a decade ago, and now every year when the east and southern US (and Eurorpe and Siberia . . .) see these kind of events due to a thinning arctic ice sheet directly predicted by the climate models, somehow they are not related and unimportant.

Bart, and apparently you, can't or won't see that a single event is not a trend. But you also won't see that all the stories like this one, once accumulated, are.

Zipperfish @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:18 am

Scape Scape:

The models appear to have underestimated the rate of warming in the Arctic and overestimated in the Antarctic.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 am

You can see it here:

NASA's AIRS Captures Polar Vortex Moving in Over US

Freakinoldguy @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:29 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Scape Scape:

Climate is what you "predict" weather is what you "get".

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

No.

Tricks @ Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

Not even close.

1  2  Next