dasabled sports

Wheels @ Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:04 pm

Many disabled athletes Have done a outstanding job for canada at sporting
competions. eg 1988 paralympics Canada finished fourth out of 65 nations
medal total was 153 54 G 42 S and 57 B. :D :D :D

Can Canada,s other athletes do as good a Job at the olympic games :?: :?: :?:

jmjinks @ Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:32 pm

That is a good questions, Wheels.

I think that we should recognize the accomplsihments of all Canadian athletes, And whether it is an individual or a team, we should show them love and support to achieving their goals.

Now getting back to your question, the next Olympics are in 2004. Plans are being put in place to provide better funding for our athletes, so that they are better equipped to train for their respective events. Whether thsi becomes reality, is debatable. It is a crying shame that many of these athletes have to almost declare bankrupcy to be able to train and perform and represent our country. If these changes were to take place a couple of years ago, I'd say we would be adequately prepared to destroy every other country in 2004. Alas, as things are still not fully in place and it is still questionable if they will, I can only hope that we can kick some ass and be proud of them.

RoyalHighlander @ Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:16 pm

Just want to say some thing here about Wheels... He's my friend, and neighbour and is an Olympic medal winning wheel chair athlete....In 1988 he won a silver and a bronze medal in Seoul S Korea...He won a silver in 100 M track and a bronze in the 200 M track for athletes with cerebal palsy....Hes one hell of a good guy...
4 classes of Para Olympics
Blind.....
Amputee.....
Wheelchair.....
Cerebal Palsy....

Now they compete all as one group...
Ive seen his pics and his medals.... Hes a tough S.O.B. and more a man than a lot of folks I know...

me @ Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:18 pm

Nice to hear from you Wheels and congrats on the medals that RHighlander mentioned. Most here on this forum are aware that I am a big Terry Fox fan. Wheel chair sports sound exciting and I would like to watch more. Do you think televising more games is a good idea?

Wheels @ Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:46 am

yes I think putting disabled sport competions is on t.v. is a very good idea,but it has been a tough sell to the tv people in the past. they are starting allow disable athlete,s to take part in able body competions, which should give disabled sport more t.v. exposeure. :) :) :) :)

wheels

jmjinks @ Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:01 am

We have an all women's sports channel, which I would think is very niche.

My questiosn is, why shouldn't we have more disabled sports on TV? It would likely be more interesting to watch and draw better ratings then a lot of the crap the sports channels air. How many people watch billiards or bowling on TV? Fun to play, boring to watch.