Canada Kicks Ass
Traveling to Ontario

1  2  Next

Riyko @ Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 pm

I figured this might be te best place to ask this question.

I'm going to be going to Toronto and Oakville at the end of this month, but my parents don't feel safe with me going, so I ask how safe is Toronto and Oakville? Also any info about any of those places would help me out as well and ways of traveling around there.

Banff @ Mon May 01, 2006 9:14 pm

Caution on young street at night and the east side of downtown Toronto ...the tansportation there is great with trollys buses go trains subway etc ... A bus driver apologized once for making me wait 2 and half minutes when I got off the subway 8O no shortage of gangs in T.O. but you'll love it there . Oakville is good and if you drive rent a car and go check out Lake Simcoe up the 403 hwy .

IkeaMan @ Mon May 01, 2006 9:18 pm

Riyko Riyko:
I figured this might be te best place to ask this question.

I'm going to be going to Toronto and Oakville at the end of this month, but my parents don't feel safe with me going, so I ask how safe is Toronto and Oakville? Also any info about any of those places would help me out as well and ways of traveling around there.

Hello Riyko...I'm originally from Kitchener, ON....not too far from where you'll be travelling to. Both places are safe, but suggest that you walk in pairs or with a small group. No city is safe for a woman to be on her own, whether it's here in Canada or Stateside. Exploring a new place is much better if you know someone from where you will be visiting or travel with a buddy and watch your personal possessions!

Bus transportation is very good in both cities and the subway system is also a great way to travel in Toronto!

Try these links for travelling around Toronto:

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/
http://www.concierge.com/destination/to ... bid=google

Have a great time and enjoy your visit!

Riyko @ Tue May 02, 2006 12:51 am

I can't rent a car because i'm not 25 T_T. I have a friend who lives in Oakville so i'm hoping he can show me around the area. I do have another question if it isn't bother some, but what would be the cheapest form of transportation from the airport to oakville?

Banff @ Tue May 02, 2006 1:46 am

because its kind of on Lake Ontario I'd jokingly say swimming would be the cheapest ... anyway no worries about transportation it really is prime for transportation and you could probably ask just about anyone because it is a real commuting area and every city in the area is very connected . Its a satelite city so to speak . ie rickshaws seadoos boats ferries commuter trains and buses , trolly cars , subway , hitchhiking , airports , etc etc ...the full meal deal for transpotation and the best in the country . I should mention that younge st. is the worlds longest St. 121 "miles long" (not all inner city ) When you look at Toronto at night from satelite it is the third most lit up and densely populated area in North America outside of New York and California . Open up world webcams from your browser and you will see and mapquest to see your friends street http://www.mapquest.com/ and http://earth.google.com/ Happy Zooming in , regardless what webcam , satelite imagery or cyber map you choose .

Zoraja @ Tue May 02, 2006 3:19 am

Umm I think the cheapest way would be a bus, but you would have to go into toronto (the airport is actually in mississauga) and then to Oakville, its complicated. You only have to be 21 to rent a car so if you can do it I would it will be so much simpler. If not, it might be bit more expensive but I would just take a taxi. They have flat rates in and out of the airport to all the cities around, I think Oakville is 20 bucks, or it used to be, its been a few years.

ANd Oakville is totally safe. I walked my drunken ass around there in the middle of the night all the time. North end is still better than south end, but its pretty good. If you give a general area of where your friend is I can give your directions on how to get there, or maps.yahoo.ca is great, google maps are always wrong so dont use em.

IkeaMan @ Tue May 02, 2006 3:56 am

Riyko Riyko:
I can't rent a car because i'm not 25 T_T. I have a friend who lives in Oakville so i'm hoping he can show me around the area. I do have another question if it isn't bother some, but what would be the cheapest form of transportation from the airport to oakville?

They usually have shuttle bus service....check it out when you get to the airport in Toronto! I know there is bus service from the airport to the major cities!

MissT @ Tue May 02, 2006 3:58 am

Oakville is really safe and secure, I guess you could say it's one of the more moneyed places around Toronto.

Getting from the airport to oakville can be a drag, especially if you arrive at night. Unfortunately public transport infrastructure from Toronto airport is lame. Even though it's out of the way, I think the best way would be to take the bus from the airport to downtown Toronto Union Station, and then catch the GO Train to Oakville. Ask your friend if you can take the bus from the Go Train to their house. Make sure you're arriving in Toronto in time to catch the buses and trains. But with any luck your friend in Oakville might come to the airport to pick you up.

Toronto is fine too. Maybe late at night wandering around side streets in the dark with a backpack looking lost wouldn't be a good idea, like any city. But if you're with friends in the main places, you'll be fine.

Riyko @ Tue May 02, 2006 9:38 pm

I really do appricate all of the help everyone ^_^.

Zoraja the street he lives on is Deer Park Road, I'm not sure if that helps any with area and what not.

If anyone does have any advice or anything for me to keep in mind or add to anything that's been posted please do so ^_^.

Zoraja @ Wed May 03, 2006 2:28 am

Oh yeah, I knwo where that is, heh, not far from my parents house. The bus will get you about two blocks from there if you take the one from the train station, but Oakville buses arent great, most only run once an hour. The number 13 should get you from the bus station to like two blocks from her house where you can meet her prettyeasy.

MissT @ Wed May 03, 2006 2:47 am

Aren't the buses timed to meet with the GO train?

Zoraja @ Wed May 03, 2006 3:44 am

No idea, oakvilletransit.com, I havent been in Oakville for a few years.

IkeaMan @ Wed May 03, 2006 2:52 pm

Times have changed over the years....it's going to be hurry up and wait for the next bus!

kitty @ Wed May 03, 2006 7:31 pm

i am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but although we have public transportation in Oakville and Mississauga, you will get no where FAST without a car. The transit system in Toronto is great but in the suburbs you might as well cab it or walk or bike or just stay home!

IkeaMan @ Wed May 03, 2006 8:04 pm

kitty kitty:
i am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but although we have public transportation in Oakville and Mississauga, you will get no where FAST without a car. The transit system in Toronto is great but in the suburbs you might as well cab it or walk or bike or just stay home!

Well said, Kitty. I'm proud of you!

1  2  Next