Canada Kicks Ass
Travelling to Canada for the summer?

phairness @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Hey everyone. I hope this is the correct place to post this. Im a 22 year old student from Ireland and I was thinking of going to Canada, Toronto to be exact for the summer. I have a few questions and would be very thankful if you could help me.
First of all do you think it would be difficult to find a job?
What are accomodation costs like and is the standard high?
What is the standard pay for someone in my situation?
and finally Is the cost of living in general expensive?

Thanks in advance

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:48 pm

You could probably find some families willing to take you in for the summer, but youth hostels work just as well. Be warned, Toronto is one of our most expensive cities.

You could find a job pretty easily, but you couldn't be terribly picky. Most grocery stores, pubs and large corporate businesses are usually hiring.

Unfortunately, I don't know the standard pay for someone in your situation. :(

Anyway, hope this helps a bit...

Wada @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:52 pm

If Toronto is your preference I can't be of much help. A summer at Banff Springs Hotel, as an example might be more profitable. Room and board and lots of fun. Maybe there is something similar in Toronto that Tricks or whoever might be aware of. Good Luck and I'm sure you'll a good time wherever. :D

stratos @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:52 pm

also beware of a predator named Artic Menace he stalks the youth hostels looking for love.

:wink:

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:56 pm

$1:
also beware of a predator named Artic Menace he stalks the youth hostels looking for love.

Nah, I just help out the hot female tourists and I usually get rewarded. :wink: :D

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:57 pm

$1:
Artic Menace

God damn it future adoptive dad, the least you could do is get my name right! :roll:

ziggy @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
$1:
Artic Menace

God damn it future adoptive dad, the least you could do is get my name right! :roll:

Probably Avro. :roll:

stratos @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
$1:
Artic Menace

sorry about that future son via adoption I'll make sure and have your mom change the spelling on the adoption papers while your back is turned.

Good to see ya again A.M.

Clogeroo @ Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 pm

To work in Canada I believe you would have to apply for a work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

Well I would recommend also places like Banff or some of the tourist areas. Toronto is very expensive and so is Vancouver and might not be the best places to work for a summer. Cost of living varies from province to province and even city to town. Compared to Ireland it may be cheaper here especially if you live in Dublin and take the value of your currency which is worth more into account. Many people find food and rent cheaper here than in Europe.

Alberta is booming right now and many shops there I have seen in Edmonton were paying people $500-$700 to just come work there. Also minimum wage in that province is $7.00/h. To rent a room maybe in Alberta is $400 a month now? Maybe more or less you would have to ask people who live there. Accommodation is getting tight in many cities though especially places like Calgary.

Canada is a pleasant country and hopefully if you decide to stay here yours is a delightful one. I’m sure you will meet lots of new and interesting people wherever you may travel to. You may even find some fellow people with Irish roots especially if you went to the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

Riyko @ Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:01 pm

To work in Toronto you will need a work visa like Clogeroo said. I got back from Toronto on feb 11th, to me it wasn't expensive, but then again I only bought a large coffee which was $1.59 cheaper then a large coffee in utah.

Scrappy @ Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:56 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
To work in Canada I believe you would have to apply for a work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

Well I would recommend also places like Banff or some of the tourist areas. Toronto is very expensive and so is Vancouver and might not be the best places to work for a summer. Cost of living varies from province to province and even city to town. Compared to Ireland it may be cheaper here especially if you live in Dublin and take the value of your currency which is worth more into account. Many people find food and rent cheaper here than in Europe.

Alberta is booming right now and many shops there I have seen in Edmonton were paying people $500-$700 to just come work there. Also minimum wage in that province is $7.00/h. To rent a room maybe in Alberta is $400 a month now? Maybe more or less you would have to ask people who live there. Accommodation is getting tight in many cities though especially places like Calgary.

Canada is a pleasant country and hopefully if you decide to stay here yours is a delightful one. I’m sure you will meet lots of new and interesting people wherever you may travel to. You may even find some fellow people with Irish roots especially if you went to the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

I'm from Atlantic Canada but I would say Banff is beyond gorgeous, it took my breath away and I loved it there. Many young people work there for the summer and go to school in the Winter months check it out, it's amazing. Toronto on the other hand is dirty, noisy, ugly and a hateful place to drive and live. Sorry but it's true. I'd also recommend Vancouver/Victoria they are also amazing places to spend the summer.

Wullu @ Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm with you there Scrappy. Summer before last I got to visit Toronto, Montreal, Cleveland, Chicago, Windsor and Hamilton. Toronto, along with all of the Canadian cities were a disgrace. Filthy does not do them justice. Chicago and Cleveland were spotless. Hell I field stripped my smokes in Chicago because you could not even spot a butt on the ground there.