Canada Kicks Ass
Bill Clinton . . . .

1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next

karra @ Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:33 pm

did it with the devil in a blue dress, just because he could - lied to the American people, just because he could . . . .

$1:
The open book

Bill: I did it 'because I could'
Admits 'I lied to everybody'
Had counseling 'a whole day a week every week for a year'

BY JAMES ENDRST
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Former President Clinton laughs Monday as President Bush unveils his official portrait at the White House.

Former President Bill Clinton reveals his marriage was on life support for a year after he came clean about his dirty dalliance with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.
Hillary Clinton needed time to decide whether she wanted a divorce, the 42nd President tells CBS' "60 Minutes" in a shockingly candid interview.

"We'd take a day a week, and we did - a whole day a week every week for a year, maybe a little more - and did counseling," Bill Clinton tells Dan Rather in the hour-long sitdown timed to the release next week of his memoir, "My Life."

And daughter Chelsea, who was feeling increasingly alienated, joined in the shrink sessions, the former President added.

"We did it together. We did it individually," said Clinton, admitting he was "in the doghouse" for a long time. "We did family work."

Clinton also confesses he has no rational explanation for cheating on his wife and risking his legacy as President. "I did something for the worst possible reason. Just because I could," he says. "That's just about the most morally indefensible reason anybody could have for doing anything."

Clinton - embarking on a national tour to promote his long-awaited life story, which is already a best seller via advance sales - does not shy away from the Lewinsky affair in his book, either, said Rather, one of the few to have read the tome.

"I lied to everybody," Clinton admits at one point.

Although Rather said there was nothing in the massive book that could be called "a bulletin from Mars," Clinton told the Daily News yesterday readers should find a few surprises. "I hope so," he said. "Otherwise, I made a big mistake writing 950 pages."

Rather told The News he admires that Clinton avoids the common trap of "trying to get even" with his enemies - with one exception.

The President takes aim at special prosecutor Kenneth Starr, whose many investigations into the former First Couple led to Clinton's impeachment for lying under oath about his clandestine coupling.

Starr conducted himself in an "unethical if not illegal" manner, Clinton insists, and the former President defiantly calls his fight against impeachment a "badge of honor."

"I didn't quit, I never thought of resigning and I stood up to it and beat it back," Clinton says.

"The whole battle was a badge of honor," he continues. "I don't see it as a stain, because it was illegitimate ... an abuse of power."

On other issues:

Clinton calls charges his administration had terror mastermind Osama Bin Laden in its grasp but let him go long before 9/11 absolute "bull."

He avoids any direct comment about his former vice president, Al Gore, because, Rather said, Clinton didn't want to be seen as "piling on."

Clinton generally supports President Bush's decision to take out Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. "People will be surprised at how supportive he is," said Rather, "considering he's a Democratic former President."

Clinton views his stewardship of the American economy as his greatest accomplishment. "I kept score, how many people's lives were better off," Clinton said. "I think the fact that we were able to have 22 million jobs and record homeownership and lower interest rates ... people actually had the ability to do more things than ever before."

There were many days he counts as his best - but one in particular stands out: The day the U.S. Army helped the people of Kosovo rid the world of Serbian dictator Slobodan Milosevic.
"The day that Kosovar war ended and I knew Milosevic's days were numbered was a great day," Clinton said. "I had a lot of great days."

Linkage

Robair @ Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:44 pm

karra karra:
did it with the devil in a blue dress, just because he could - lied to the American people, just because he could . . . .

Yea, then Bush goes to war for the exact same reason.

Clinton gave the OK for developement and testing of new nuclear weapons, that makes him an idiot.

Bush gave the OK to USE nuclear weapons, that makes him criminaly insane.

Clinton is impeached for lying about a blowjob whereas Bush lies so he can wage war, and it looks like he's headed for another term. The media leans left? I'm pretty good at math and something just isn't adding up.

Gonzo @ Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:39 pm

Clinton was a far better president then Bush, Reagan, or Bush jr. I think lying about your private life is better then lying about weapons of mass destruction and hidden agenda of an Iraq invasion. One president fooled around, the other was a drunk driver who skipped out on military service, failed in running oil companies, and ran up half a trillion in debt on a phoney, illegal war. Which is worse? I cant believe they tried to impeach Clinton but not Bush!

Indelible @ Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:41 pm

i totally agree.

so he couldn't keep it in his pants...so what? at least he didn't go around fucking up countries in unjust wars.

notice also, that under clinton, israel and palestine were almost at peace. now that the bush police dominate the world, fighting is as bad as it has ever been.

impeaching clinton was as backwards as it gets.

karra @ Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:58 pm

Tune in for an exclusive on 60 Minutes Sunday night. Be prepared to hear how a relatively dull presidency can be touted as something so exciting you'll want to rush out and buy the book. . . .

$1:
Clinton is not a failed president, only an insignificant one. In his interview with Rather to plug My Life, he claims two great accomplishments. One is "the creation of 22 million jobs." The other is the toppling of Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic in the Balkan war. So Clinton takes credit, above all, for high job growth and a positive outcome in a relatively minor foreign policy crisis. One qualification: On jobs, while Clinton deserves credit, presidents merely make jobs a bit easier or harder for the economy to create. They don't create jobs themselves, except by expanding government. In sum, Clinton's twin achievements match Coolidge's almost exactly. The highlights of Coolidge's term were a flourishing economy and triumph in three minor foreign ventures.

$1:
Clinton had three major successes in Congress during his eight years in office, but it's no surprise he downplays them. They reflect his weakness as a president. The first was passage of the North American
Free Trade Agreement in 1993. This measure was proposed by President Reagan, negotiated and signed by the first President Bush, and ratified with Republican votes as congressional Democrats abandoned Clinton in droves. The second was welfare reform that reduced the rolls dramatically. He signed this Republican bill reluctantly in 1996 only after his political adviser, Dick Morris, told him his reelection would be jeopardized if he didn't. The third Clinton success was the arrival of a balanced budget, again a goal Clinton had warily endorsed but not expected to achieve so soon.

Now consider these achievements for a moment. Do they remind you of anyone's agenda? The answer is Reagan's. All three were longstanding aims of Reagan, not of Clinton or Democrats. Yes, Clinton campaigned in 1992 on changing the welfare system "as we know it." But the bill he was forced to sign cut far more deeply into welfare rolls than Clinton wanted and was fiercely opposed by liberal Democrats. The point is that the Clinton presidency was, in effect, an extension of the Reagan presidency, though Clinton would be loath to admit this. Completing the Reagan agenda was not his intention.

Linkage

Rev_Blair @ Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:25 pm

:roll:

BadAssBookie @ Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:36 pm

Bill is my hero. Super-hero actually. I love this guy. Really.

Zenfisher @ Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:50 pm

Except Reagan...left the US with the largest deficit it had ever seen. Clinton left with a surplus. Which was blown again by the current Republican. Why is it conservatives like to borrow so much money ?

Zenfisher @ Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:54 pm

Yesterday, I got to meet him. He does have a very charismatic presence to him. His demeanor suggests, that he would be the type of guy you could go to the local constabulary and knock back a couple of cold ones, and shoot the shit. ( its good to have CKA back)

Rev_Blair @ Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:08 pm

It is good to have this place back, isn't it?

I just know that your wife has Bill's book, Zen. Did she get it signed though?

karra @ Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:33 pm

Slick Willy autographs his autobiography with an exploding cigar pen. . . .?

Rev_Blair @ Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:36 pm

Fact: Karra is incapable of a post that does not slander somebody.

karra @ Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:30 pm

Fact: Rev_Blah is the most boring person you will ever know who all too frequently has nothing to say but says it regardless . . . .

Aside from the obvious - perhaps yawl will be good enough to point out the slander - if yawl are capable - are yawl?

Rev_Blair @ Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:38 pm

So I'm not quite clear here, Karra....are you afraid of native rights or Bill Clinton?

karra @ Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:08 pm

Of course it's not clear to you dear boy, it never is - but what has that to do with your prediliction for twinkies?

1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next