1  2  3  4  5 ... 15  Next

Newsbot @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:19 am

Title: Colin Kaepernick did something controversial, but it was not un-American
Category: Uncle Sam
Posted By: Delwin
Date: 2016-08-27 21:29:57
Canadian

Freakinoldguy @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:19 am

Really? Who cares what a uber rich bi racial hack of an NFL QB raised by white parents thinks and comparing him to John Carlos and Tommy Smith is nothing more than a little outrageous. The only thing Kapernick has in common with those two is that they're all athletes.

But, someone should inform Mr. Kapernick that when you purposely bring politics into sports to further an unpopular and controversial agenda you run the risk of undoing any the progress made by the myriad of people who came before and alienating a large majority of the games fan base who pay your meal ticket.

I predict that Kapernick won't be starting the Niners home opener and when you combine his disrespectful actions with his diminishing performance he'll likely find himself unemployed earlier than he ever expected but, now he'll be able to blame his career demise on racial prejudice rather than where it really belongs. Lack of talent.

BeaverFever @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:32 am

Today in right wing political correctness.....

Freakinoldguy @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:35 am

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way. ROTFL

14055200_1800902730131943_2098482285573109383_n.jpg
14055200_1800902730131943_2098482285573109383_n.jpg [ 46.83 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]

Delwin @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:36 am

Yep, only right wingers can have opinions or the right to express themselves. They also can't be accused of political correctness because that is a lefty thing. The DOD spending tax payers money for phony patriotism at sporting events is probably OK though because the right are strong supporters of the military.

At least Kaepernick didn't have to be paid to express himself. And that Kaepernick is Bi-racial hardly disqualifies him from having an opinion on the matter. If anything it gives him a unique perspective on both sides of black issues.

raydan @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:49 am

Not much of an issue here, he can do what he wants and we have the choice of either listening to the message or ignoring it.

Kaepernick feels this is something he has to do and he's the only one who will suffer the consequences.

Delwin @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:09 am

I agree. People are allowed to follow their conscious regardless of how controversial it seems to the general public so long as they are willing to deal with the consequences.

In 1946, when Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey signed Jackie Robinson to the minors, he was making a political statement that drew scorn from the public and his peers.

Jackie Robinson was extremely talented but so were many others in the negro league.

He went against the grain and put himself in a precarious position but in the end most will agree it was a political statement that needed to be made.

llama66 @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:33 am

He's already lost the starting roll to Blane Gabbert. I can't believe that this guy would pull that, but hey, when your a mere shadow of yourself I guess you need to do anything to stay relevant, and really as an ultra rich, white raised, half black american living under white opression in the most black oppressive nation in the world, not standing for that anthem of opression shows that you are with those opressed people. Because clearly, the opression of the united States has forced this poor fellow to be indentured to the San Francisco 49ers for 6 years and will be paid 114 million dollars. Another tale of opression.akes me sick.

Freakinoldguy @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:39 am

Delwin Delwin:
Yep, only right wingers can have opinions or the right to express themselves. They also can't be accused of political correctness because that is a lefty thing. The DOD spending tax payers money for phony patriotism at sporting events is probably OK though because the right are strong supporters of the military.

At least Kaepernick didn't have to be paid to express himself. And that Kaepernick is Bi-racial hardly disqualifies him from having an opinion on the matter. If anything it gives him a unique perspective on both sides of black issues.

Do you have any idea what Kapernicks political leanings are or are you just projecting?

What he did was silly, but like Raydan said he's got the right to do whatever the fuck he wants and if it costs him tough because I'm pretty sure somewhere in his contract there'll be a morals clause that prohibits him from embarrassing his team and the NFL.

But the point here is that the American flag doesn't just represent "right wing" people it represents all Americans including the deluded politically motivated people of BLM so, by refusing to stand for the National Anthem he's chosen to take a tact that alienates a large portion of both left and right wing people especially the ones who shows any overt patriotism.

Say what you want but professional sports is one of the very few venues in the States where blacks are treated as equals and idiotic stunts like this do nothing but undermine decades of work by the leagues, teams and players to have "all" the athletes treated equally.

Delwin @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:54 am

Nothing will come of it. The NFL has already commented on the issue:

$1:
"Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the National Anthem."

I don't need to understand his political stand on every issue to understand the statement he was trying to make since he stated it overtly:

$1:
In a statement given to the NFL Network's Steve Wyche, Kaepernick explained that his reason for not standing up was due to the oppression of black people and people of color.
"To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way," Kaepernick said. "There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

You are correct that I do not know his political leanings. He may very well be fiscally conservative.

That's the saddest part. In today's toxic political environment, where republicans are polling at 1% support among blacks. All black issues have become left issues because the right just doesn't seem to care.

So even if he is anti-abortion, anti gay marriage, fiscally conservative, pro-big oil and pro business deregulation we know when he makes a statement about black lives mattering it is a left winged statement because the alt-right has hijacked the GOP and in turn abandoned people of color.

Today marks 53 years since MLK's "I have a dream" speech and sadly 53 years later, the negro still is not free.

raydan @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 am

While I agree that there is still some oppression going on, I believe that blacks are partly responsible for that. All of them can succeed if they really want to but some just like to play the oppressed card. Easier to not try and blame somebody else than to make the effort.

BRAH @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 am

Kaepernick is another wannabe Black Lies Matter SJW like Beyonce who didn't give a Fuck about the black community until it became cool too.

andyt @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 am

BRAH BRAH:
Kaepernick is another wannabe Black Lies Matter SJW like Beyonce who didn't give a Fuck about the black community until it became cool too.

Better late than never. And it only became cool to care about the black community in 2016? Wha happen?

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:28 am

I would love to hear Kaepernick's stance on the stats that show black-on-black violence is through the roof versus white-on-black violence. Black Lives Matter and their supporters focus on the wrong thing entirely. But hey, when your people kill each other, it's okay right? We'll just file that under domestic and move right along.....

As a rabid Niners fan, I'm very disappointed he took the stance he did, considering the parents that raised him and helped him be the man he is today are white. Perhaps he's getting back at them for all those times he was sent to his room without supper for disciplinary reasons oppressed.

I'm also of the opinion that political agendas should be kept out of sports. Sports are one of my favourite ways to get away from politics and world headline crap to enjoy, as I imagine they are for others as well. Let's keep it that way.

-J.

Delwin @ Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:35 am

raydan raydan:
While I agree that there is still some oppression going on, I believe that blacks are partly responsible for that. All of them can succeed if they really want to but some just like to play the oppressed card. Easier to not try and blame somebody else than to make the effort.

I'm 40 and have spent my whole life (38 of those years) in Scarborough and Rexdale. These areas have the highest proportions of blacks in the country. I was raised by the state and so the connections I have made I was not born into. However, I am irish and sunburn easily. I am smart enough to realize that I was afforded opportunities some blacks would not have been given. I don't disagree that there are elements of the black community that have given up on trying to better themselves but I am not as naive as to think that we all have the same starting line.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 15  Next