Canada Kicks Ass
Two 11-year-olds altered election results in hacker conventi

Newsbot @ Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 pm

Title: Two 11-year-olds altered election results in hacker convention's replica of U.S. voting system
Category: Tech
Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2018-08-14 11:43:03

Strutz @ Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 pm

I don't know what bothered me more about this article. The fact that 2 kids were able to alter information or that there was a hacker convention in the first place.

BartSimpson @ Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Strutz Strutz:
I don't know what bothered me more about this article. The fact that 2 kids were able to alter information or that there was a hacker convention in the first place.

DEFCON is called a hacker's convention but in reality it's a security convention where people expose previously unknown security issues and industry is compelled to resolve them.

I plan on attending next year.

Strutz @ Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Strutz Strutz:

DEFCON is called a hacker's convention but in reality it's a security convention where people expose previously unknown security issues and industry is compelled to resolve them.

Well, that does sound better. The term "hacker" just rings an illegal bell to me. :lol:

It seems there is much for IT professionals to keep up with as technology advances. For every door that gets closed another seems to open.

Tricks @ Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Strutz Strutz:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Strutz Strutz:

Well, that does sound better. The term "hacker" just rings an illegal bell to me. :lol:

It seems there is much for IT professionals to keep up with as technology advances. For every door that gets closed another seems to open.

99% of real security people either started with hacking, are trained in hacking, or plan on hacking in the future. :lol:

Tricks @ Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Strutz Strutz:

Fuck I'd love to go to DEFCON. Hopefully once I'm in the industry I can swindle my company into sending me :lol:

BRAH @ Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 am

In the era of Snowden DEFCON have become the good guys. :|

DrCaleb @ Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am

BRAH BRAH:
In the era of Snowden DEFCON have become the good guys. :|

Always was. The bad guys are the ones operating behind closed doors. 'Hacker' is a term corrupted by the media.

Real 'hackers' show off what we can do, and expose flaws to everyone so they can be fixed. 'Security through obscurity' is what let the NSA hacking tools work for so long.