Canada Kicks Ass
Canada's oil price woes reaching an 'emergency situation,' C

1  2  3  Next

Newsbot @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am

Title: Canada's oil price woes reaching an 'emergency situation,' Cenovus CEO says
Category: Business
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-11-16 07:54:42
Canadian

DrCaleb @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am

$15.75 a barrel. Thanks everybody! Alberta wishes you nothing but prosperity!

llama66 @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 am

I heard if you buy one barrel of oil; you get one barrel free!

BartSimpson @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:09 am

That's what happens when you can't get your oil to market.

Hmmm, maybe you folks need to invest in pipelines.

llama66 @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:19 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Pipelines are terrible. Have you not read how many disasters are caused by them? Billions could die if we build even one pipeline. Read David Suzuki, get a grip and start living a sustainable, carbon negative lifestyle based on Veganism like the rest of us.

DrCaleb @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:34 am

llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Pipelines are terrible. Have you not read how many disasters are caused by them? Billions could die if we build even one pipeline. Read David Suzuki, get a grip and start living a sustainable, carbon negative lifestyle based on Veganism like the rest of us.

We like our railcars full of toxic and explosive substances, thank you very much. That's the way our grandparents got oil to market, and it's dern well good enough for us.

Thanos @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am

Alberta's interest in Canada is entire emotional and traditional. There is absolutely no economic, financial, or employment advantage that Alberta benefits from as a member of the Canadian confederation. If anything it's the exact opposite, in that Alberta is being actively harmed economically just by being part of Canada. Attacked from outside by the games the Arabs play with the world oil price, deliberately sabotaged internally by the Irving empire, the likes of Denis Coderre, and by insane environmentalists in BC.

We aren't going to recover as long as this stasis, stagnation, and status quo remains in effect.

llama66 @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:15 am

Thanos Thanos:
Alberta's interest in Canada is entire emotional and traditional. There is absolutely no economic, financial, or employment advantage that Alberta benefits from as a member of the Canadian confederation. If anything it's the exact opposite, in that Alberta is being actively harmed economically just by being part of Canada. Attacked from outside by the games the Arabs play with the world oil price, deliberately sabotaged internally by the Irving empire, the likes of Denis Coderre, and by insane environmentalists in BC.

We aren't going to recover as long as this stasis, stagnation, and status quo remains in effect.

The alternative is we leave, which I'm fine with... however we won't survive long as an independent nation... the only real option is Statehood (or territory-hood or whatever) and that's trading the devil we know for the devil we think we know.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:37 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Don't lump a majority of us in BC with the granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, VW driving, long haired friends of Jeebus out here or, with the elitist rich in New Brunswick who own refineries but refuse to pay Canadian taxes or purchase Canadian oil for that matter.

Hell if I had my way the Kinder Morgan pipeline would be running through Gregor Robertson's living room with oil terminals located at John Horgan and Andrew Weavers homes and cost be damned.

As for the Irving's. I'd cut off their corporate welfare while putting such large tarrifs on Saudi Oil that they'd have to sell their Cayman Island resort homes just to buy one barrel of that fucking blood oil.

So, not everybody is anti Alberta but, if you want to see the biggest anti Albertan in Canada I'd suggest you take a junket to Ottawa and look up the resident living at 24 Sussex drive who, just like his daddy seems to have a hard on for you folks. As for your province losing money take a long hard look at the oil companies.

You give away billions in grants and tax breaks but when the shit hits the fan the oil companies don't reciprocate. As the matter of fact they continue a practice that could only be considered as usury. They charge the same amount per liter of gas that they did when the price was $145 per barrel. Do you realize how much profit they're making while still taking your province to the cleaner?

So, if you want a partial solution to the problem enact a law that states, when the price per barrel hit's a certain low all grants, tax breaks and corporate welfare stops. It might not stop the Province hemorrhaging money but it'll sure as hell slow it down and spread the pain around like it should be.

Thanos @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 am

llama66 llama66:
Thanos Thanos:

The alternative is we leave, which I'm fine with... however we won't survive long as an independent nation... the only real option is Statehood (or territory-hood or whatever) and that's trading the devil we know for the devil we think we know.

The benefit is we would no longer be strangled to death by a federal government and other provivnces that are openly antipathetic to us, and who would be more than happy to see us fall down to the status of permanently broken in the same way the Maritimes are. I'm not advocating separation. Or joining the US, which would be an absolutely horrifying prospect given their spiralling descent into endless ideological madness. I'm just stating the obvious that economically we're permanently behind the eight-ball as long as the existing system is in place.

herbie @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 am

So we're paying $1.40/L for $15.75 oil? Yeah we'll all be so much better off when it goes to $100 bbl again!
If it does, that new pickup in your driveway will be worth 5c on the dollar and you'll be on the waiting list for a Chinese built electric car, right?

llama66 @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:48 am

Thanos Thanos:
llama66 llama66:
Thanos Thanos:

The benefit is we would no longer be strangled to death by a federal government and other provivnces that are openly antipathetic to us, and who would be more than happy to see us fall down to the status of permanently broken in the same way the Maritimes are. I'm not advocating separation. Or joining the US, which would be an absolutely horrifying prospect given their spiralling descent into endless ideological madness. I'm just stating the obvious that economically we're permanently behind the eight-ball as long as the existing system is in place.

Fuck, Lets wait for the US Civil War 2 to be over and then decide. As is, I'll deal with the nation of fools who hate us for giving them the money to maintain their way of life, rather than be dragged down with the great southern meltdown.

DrCaleb @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:51 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Don't lump a majority of us in BC with the granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, VW driving, long haired friends of Jeebus out here or, with the elitist rich in New Brunswick who own refineries but refuse to pay Canadian taxes or purchase Canadian oil for that matter.

So, not everybody is anti Alberta but, if you want to see the biggest anti Albertan in Canada I'd suggest you take a junket to Ottawa and look up the resident living at 24 Sussex drive who, just like his daddy seems to have a hard on for you folks. As for your province losing money take a long hard look at the oil companies.

I don't assume it's everyone. And I was just looking at Quebec there. 8)

And just for the sake of argument, 24 Sussex is vacant right now. ;) But I know what you mean.

You give away billions in grants and tax breaks but when the shit hits the fan the oil companies don't reciprocate. As the matter of fact they continue a practice that could only be considered as usury. They charge the same amount per liter of gas that they did when the price was $145 per barrel. Do you realize how much profit they're making while still taking your province to the cleaner?

So, you want a solution to the problem. Enact a law that states, when the price per barrel hit's a certain low all grants, tax breaks and corporate welfare stops. It might not stop the Province hemorrhaging money but it'll sure as hell slow it down and spread the pain around like it should be.

Stelmach tried that, and they ran him out of town on a rail. Notley also tried to change the formula, and the cries were even louder, because "NDP".

People just don't see that when they don't demand the best price the market will give for the resources they own, that times like these are the result. Funny that people say gasoline is "down" to $1/l at the pump, but I remember when oil was $25 a barrel and gas was $0.34. 8O

Meanwhile, Alaskans get a fat cheque from their oil revenue.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:52 am

herbie herbie:
So we're paying $1.40/L for $15.75 oil? Yeah we'll all be so much better off when it goes to $100 bbl again!
If it does, that new pickup in your driveway will be worth 5c on the dollar and you'll be on the waiting list for a Chinese built electric car, right?

Nope. When you're running a scam like the oil companies they'll carefully continue play us like a well worn hill billy fiddle.

Just look at how much we were paying when gas was $140 per barrel and you'll discover it was very close to what we're paying now and gas hasn't been over $75.00 per barrel in years.

These corporations aren't stupid because they know that if they raise the price per liter to high they'll kill the golden goose which unfortunately is us. So, for them the trick is to maximize profit without having we peasants revolt.

Thanos @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am

herbie herbie:

1) tell your provincial governments to lower their fuel taxes

2) build another couple of refineries

Those are the only ways to lower the cost of gasoline. And neither will happen because the governments don't want to do #1 and the oil companies aren't going to do #2.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

As long as a cluster of radical left wing assholes control and dominate the BC political system then Alberta has to regard all of BC as an antagonist. It's not by choice but it's not like giving exempt status to the non-crazy parts of BC is logistically feasible. And it was Christy Clark, a so-called conservative, who kicked off this anti-Alberta sentiment in the first place with her ridiculous unconstitutional demands over the Northern Gateway pipeline. She spearheaded the same bullshit that Trump later began talking about with Keystone XL, that Alberta would have to start coughing up exorbitant surcharges for the "privilege" of crossing BC territory. As such, if/when the BC Liberals get in power again, Alberta has no reason to believe that BC conservatives will be any less hostile to us than the BC NDP & Greens are.

1  2  3  Next