Canada Kicks Ass
Do we really LEARN anything from the past

Heavy_Metal @ Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 am

i wanna start by saying, i am a history buff, i love the stuff. this comment may be completely baffiling to those who read my post. i am just playing the devils advocate, mostly putting my thoughts down after reading some articles on the holocost and people not teaching that in the classroom:

do we learn anything from history? and why bother, really?

our history as a people (humanity) is the largest thing we have going as a race (humanity). through out this history there have been holocosts and 'ethnic clensind' on a scale that would make anything done in somolia or bu the nazis look like a day at the beach. but we never hear about this, or only briefly is it heard, or though specialized history class or self education. examples can be seen with the Romans, the Huns, the Persians just to name a few which come to my head, each of which slaughtered countless numbers of people, impossible to get an accurate count of the deaths, during a time when life ment even less than it does today, one can only imagine.

with all the examples of horrendous tyrants poping up throughout history it is a wonder why, if we are to learn from history, they are still around (present and recent past)? is it just the ignorance of these people to disregard the horrors of the past and make whole new ones or do they learn from the past and kill in a whole new way than the mass murders of the past. if the later is true, how do we tell history and make people awair of the killing of the past without teaching future killers mistakes not to make?

that is another little point i may touch on in another post, when is it murder, and when is it 'fighting opression' or fighting for freedom? or whatever people like to call killing to make themselves feel better.

who decides what is relavant history? when does history become disregarded and not taught and or talked about? is there a time frame?

if history is written by the victors, why bother? history should reflect both sides of an argument, why someone did this, why they responded with that. unfortunately it is only the side with the most people standing when the smoke clears that get to put pen to paper when it is all done. unfortunately this creates bias, hate and any number of other discriptive words for bad things to come. the bigest problem with the victors writing history is there is so much left out which may create a catalyst for history's next monster.

so why bother, if the event is going to be eventually disregarded to be lost in the pages of time and have the possibility to create problems in the future, why the fuck worry about history at all?!