Canada Kicks Ass
When did you start caring?

1  2  3  4  5  Next

Jesse @ Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:10 pm

I started caring about 2 months <i>after</i> I helped Susan set up this site. At first I would just check in to make sure everything was working, but that led to more and more exposure... And now I care very much what is going on.

4Canada @ Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:48 pm

I've always cared about my life and therefore have always been aware of what's coming into it, affecting it, and leaving it. Are these people/things/events adding or detracting? How would my life be with or without them? A general concern for all living things and an opportunity to have travelled extensively gave me the insight to see and understand how TRULY fortunate we are to live in this country. But, it also showed me how wasteful, indulgent, and unconcerned most of us are about how much of the world lives and how they can do without just don't take my stuff away from me. I've always been a mouthpiece for injustice and a spokesperson for the underdog. If it starts a fire in me you better get the water bombers. But I have never been heavily involved in politics until the US (and it looked like Canada would go too) went to war against Afghanistan. That's also when I discovered the Internet. I never used the computer, but found it such an immediate release for the oral spankings that were my emails to Cretien, Graham, McCallum, Bush, Cellucci and various newspapers. I needed to know there were other people out there that felt as angry as I was and were trying to stop the insanity. We tried, and we tried hard, but this is where we are. I also volunteered to collect signatures for the petition that the Green Party leader in BC started to get the Liberals to act on changing our voting system to PROREP. And then I joined the BC Greens. They are the only political party that endorses "The Earth Charter" which I also endorse. If you've never heard of it please google as I don't know how to connect you.

KevinGagnon @ Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:02 am

I just started last year becoming involved in saving Canada. Its kind of ironic cause I first started getting involved at the New Conservative Party convention where the vote was to merge the two parties. I had signed up as a member (friend asked me) to be a alternate vote for YES. Lucky I didn't need to vote, cause by the end of the night listening to people across Canada explain why they didn't agree with the merge, I started to think a YES vote wasn't what I wanted. So if I had to vote, my friend would have had a surprise.

I also met someone there who was there to NOT support the merge. His wife was a NDP. Anyways after talking to this couple for a while, and hearing for the first time David Orchard's name mention as this guy had followed David Orchard for many years and he liked David Orchard. He told me he would only stay with this new party if David Orchard ran for the leadership race. That obviously didn't happen.

Anyways after leaving this conference early we went to Chapters book store. As I'm browsing through the books, I cam across this book called ONE BIG PARTY. It jumped at me. Picked it up and been involved ever since.

Kevin

whelan costen @ Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:52 pm

Thanks for your replies. I was just sort of thinking that perhpas it is a family thing, that some families produce people that are more socially conscious than others, not that you can't develope that sense on your own, but maybe if we promote this attitude more in our youth we would have a more caring society?

Reverend Blair @ Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:00 am

I don't know that I ever didn't care. It wasn't cool to care for a while (a long while, in my generation's case), but there was always some underlying thought or feeling. If I had to pick a definitive moment though, it would be <a href="http://www.icangripe.com/left1.html">this</a>. <p> That was actually a good thing thing though. It made me start to look and consider a lot of the things I'd been told.

arc628 @ Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:03 am

It was after I read "The Vanishing Country" by Mel Hurtig. Before that I was totally oblivious to politics, and to what each party stood for. In my first provincial election I voted for the BC Liberals, in my first federal elections I voted for the Alliance. I was your typical uninformed voter who only paid attention to opinion polls. But after reading Mel's book something changed, It made me more patriotic. I pointed out everything that made me proud to be Canadian was being eroded, and by our own "leaders" no less! That book made quite the nationalist out of me. When I buy something I consider who the money is really going to, whenever possible I buy Canadian. It's changed what I watch, listen to, and read. I've started studying Canadian history. And now I'm starting to take political action. <BR> <BR> Oh, and I only drink Canadian beer...okay maybe it didn't change everything.

Milton @ Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:04 pm

Your link goes to a bad gateway screen Reverend. I started caring when I discovered we (western civilization) weren't civilized, we were snookered. I think we should all be planetary citizens and that I am or should be my brother's and sister's keepers.

Jesse @ Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:12 pm

just fixed rev's link.

Reverend Blair @ Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:22 am

Thanks Jesse.

tifani @ Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:53 pm

In terms of Canadian sovereignty and some other issues, I think when Bush became President in the US it really became clear how much of a threat we were under and what could happen if nothing was done.

N Say @ Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:16 pm

From time to time I'd read about the various "conspiracy theories", not really believing them, but just because they were fun to read. I sort of talked about that stuff with a girl at my old job worked on David Orchard's leadership campaign in the Victoria area & I liked his ideas, etc. Then I went to a local bookstore looking for his book (Fight for Canada) & saw The Vanishing Country instead & I guess I branched out from there.

Milton @ Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:15 pm

The ruling class, better known as the robber barons are the lowest class of thieves in existance and they can be found in all nationalities living on big estates and usurping resources without regard for their fellow passengers on spaceship earth.

Crankster @ Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:19 am

I started caring the minute I looked into my oldest sons eyes the day he was born.The thought occured to me,what kind of sh*t hole world is going to be left for him and now two brothers and sister. <br /> Activism?! Haven't found a channel yet to funnel the rage I feel at what the "powers that be" are doing to this world.

gaulois @ Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:58 pm

I came across some of the Gandhi thoughts on projecting oneself what we see the world as missing. One also has no right whatsoever to complain if one has never made an effort in contributing a solution to problems that directly affect you. That would be in the spirit of Direct Democracy.

Calumny @ Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:30 pm

Most people don't know how to start, and certainly aren't encouraged to do so. I tend towards the single drop creating the might river idea myself. Question is, where to put the drop. While I'm on cliches, nothing ventired, nothing gained. <br /> <br />I'm another 'Mel'ite, my introduction to Canadian sovereignty coming in my teens with the 'Comittee for an Independent Canada' (might have got the name wrong... it's so long ago). I kind of drifted off into thirty years (highly educational) years of mediocrity. Recently coming across the Vive site was fortuitous in that it coincided with a recent resurgence of personal concern as to the path Canada and the world seems to be on. <br /> <br />I think that the cultural composition of Canada and the path, at times rocky, it has been following provide an opportunity to move into something better than humanity has often, or ever seen. I know this sounds sappy however, I believe it to be true. It's nice to find others who despite having differences in their views seem to feel the same about this particular issue.

1  2  3  4  5  Next