Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus Supply chain collapse thread

1  2  3  4  5 ... 20  Next

Scape @ Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Scape @ Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:09 pm

CDN_PATRIOT @ Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:10 pm

I think this thread is a bit premature for the time being....

-J.

Scape @ Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Oh I suspect strongly that your comment will age about as well as This one or this one.

llama66 @ Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:58 pm

I think he deleted the posts. lol.

Strutz @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I think this thread is a bit premature for the time being....

-J.

Premature??? Seriously???

There have been supply chain issues for over a freaking year now. I'd start posting links but I don't have all day to do so. Google "global supply chain disruptions" and you will see MANY articles from media sources about it.

raydan @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 am

llama66 llama66:
I think he deleted the posts. lol.

The posts were moved, again.

housewife @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:47 pm

Don’t think this is premature. Actually as I have mentioned before it’s going to become a huge problem. There are already reports of prices going up everywhere. I’m watching sales for our favourite staples. Not worried about stuff we don’t need stuff but food sort of important. Dairy is already been said to be going up and pastas because of poor crop yields. Which would imply that meat will be rising cause feed costs. With continuing transportation issues I’m sure rice and flours won’t be far behind followed quickly by everything else!! It’s going to be a really messy situation if we aren’t careful.

llama66 @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:31 pm

The effects of this pandemic are going to be felt for decades. I bet it'll take the rest of the first half of the 21st century to unfuck things.

raydan @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:26 pm

llama66 llama66:
The effects of this pandemic are going to be felt for decades. I bet it'll take the rest of the first half of the 21st century to unfuck things.

We should keep a thread going forever, just to piss certain people off. :evil:

Thanos @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:32 pm

The bill finally came due for making the devil's bargain that sent endless jobs and entire industries overseas. It's all it really comes down to. Something should have be done long before COVID happened, and long before the Chinese were doing things like sending poisoned pet food for Walmart to sell or drywall contaminated with toxic levels of formaldehyde in it to be dropped on unsuspecting customers at Home Depot or Lowes.

Back in the 1970's and 80's too many people got enamoured with the ideas of crushing domestic labour unions and demanding cheap prices for just about everything. The prevailing wind of Reaganism and Thatcherism was that the domestic worker, your own fellow citizen in the western nations, is your enemy because "they're ripping you off with their unreasonable wage demands!". So the decisions were made, with popular support, to crush those people by getting rid of their jobs altogether and have the things we needed or wanted made by slave labour overseas. It was a conscious decisions, made out of anger and spite, and no one who supported it can say they were misled. There are very few innocents in this at all.

Maybe it can be turned around. Maybe it can't. There's a massive force in the investor class who made their fortunes out of sending jobs & industries overseas that will certainly resist any rebuilding of the domestic economics that would create a safer supply chain at home, one that doesn't have an oversized overseas element to it. These investors are the sort of creatures who typically don't lose, simply because their money has gamed the political system so much to their own individual advantage that their revenues are in no danger of being threatened. So can they be countered this time around, so that the public interest or the national interest is made a greater priority than the interests of the uber-wealthy elite? I have my doubts anything will ever really change. That kind of money is simply far too strong to ever prevail against. :|

Scape @ Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 pm

Sure they lose, it's called a bail out/golden parachute. Take that away from them any they are as moral as the rest of us and that's what terrifies them.

bootlegga @ Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:17 am

llama66 llama66:

It'll take decades if we actually bring back jobs from overseas, otherwise, it'll only be a year or two.

However, with China and the US rattling their sabers constantly in the South China Sea and near Taiwan - nevermind the genocide, hostile trade practices and hostage diplomacy - I think we're on the verge of another Cold War. That would definitely mean in factories/jobs shifting from China. The only question is whether they'll come back to North America (most of them going to Mexico, not Canada or the US) or will they stay in Asia in India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc.?

Personally, I like the idea of jobs coming back to North America, but as Thanos pointed out, there are a lot of wealthy people (and the politicians they bankroll) who are determined to see that doesn't happen.

Tack on the climate change stuff and the curse of living in interesting times is upon us with a vengeance.

raydan @ Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:26 am

Scape Scape:
Sure they lose, it's called a bail out/golden parachute. Take that away from them any they are as moral as the rest of us and that's what terrifies them.

I thought that a golden parachute was something you used when the showers were golden. :?

housewife @ Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:18 pm

There’s really no choice but to move things at least to Mexico. At least then we would have a supply chain that doesn’t have to worry about some lame ass stupid person getting his ship stuck in a channel. Then we would only have to worry about flooding, tornadoes, fires, earthquakes and….

1  2  3  4  5 ... 20  Next