Canada Kicks Ass
Pump price jump 'nuts'

Previous  1  2  3  Next

alienofwar @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:53 am

$1:
It's like 2.36/ gallon here (and that's on the high end in the States) and it's still waaaaay cheaper than what you guys are paying! I wonder why that is?

Because the gov't taxes and regulates the oil industry to death in Canada. They have no respect for the working poor who have to drive to get by in that country. In Edmonton for example...just to show you how bad it has got...if your a first time driver you have to wait one year to get a drivers license after you have practiced with a learners then after you got your drivers you have to buy or lease a car then sign up for outrageous insurance rates as high as $400 a month (personal experience and that was only liability!!) without sharing a policy...on top of that the insurance company makes it very hard to get insurance. In Montana I was able to get insurance in 15 mins at a rate of about $80 a month after 1 year of driving experience. In Canada I had to share a policy with my dad, pay $200 a month on premiums and it was liability only....and on top of all that it took me a few days to get coverage, they had to inspect the vehicle, they had to ask me a bizzilion questions, I had to show I was working, where I worked, how much i made, etc. In Montana they only needed proof of registration and a drivers license and I was on my way.

On top of all that I had to pay 80 cents a litre for gas in Canada where in Montana I paid only 45 cents a litre.

If your working poor in Canada, you get screwed over big time.

And then some people will say..."but at least we get free healthcare"...OH wow, that makes up for EVERYTHING I had to go through. LOL.

I remember when I was watching Street Cents in Canada a few years back and this one teen who was working and going to school at the ame time said all his wages went towards driving and paying for his car. He had nothing left after that. Luckily he lived with his parents though. Still though...in the U.S, you can pay $200 a month for a decent brand new car, about $100 a month for insurance and then maybe about $40-60 a month on gas. If your working part time at say about $800-900 a month here....that still leaves you with about $440 extra in your pocket about.

See why I am so pro-American after moving down here?? I'm free! Free from over-regulations and high taxes!!

alienofwar @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:03 pm

$1:
And Alien, gas in Canada is billed by the litre while in the US it's billed by the gallon. When you work it out, the prices are about the same, give or take a few cents.

Dude...1 gallon is equal to 3.7854 Litres. Now if your paying the average in the U.S at $1.80 a gallon for gas that converts to about 48 cents a litre!! The average American is paying 48 cents a litre for gas. While the average Canadian is paying, what, about 80-90 cents a litre?? Go ahead, check it out man: http://gocanada.about.com/cs/miscshoppi ... litres.htm

That doesn't look like a difference of a few cents. That's the difference between being able to go out to for pizza or buying that shirt you really wanted. Bottom line.

xerxes @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:20 pm

OK fine. either way, it's about time gas prices in the US caught up to what everyone else in the world was paying for them. Maybe this will encourgae people to not buy tanks for driving.

Oh, btw, you forgot to convert the currencies. Try factoring that into your equations on gas prices.

Canadaka @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:27 pm

yes gas is still cheaper in the suburban areas, espescially Abbotsford

xerxes @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:38 pm

But it fluctuates like crazy. Sometimes when I go to class in the morning i see it at 90 cents and by the time I come home a few hours later, it's back down to 78 or whatever. It's so arbitrary. It reminds of a part in the video for Van Halen's right now where it says "right now, old men and oil companies run the world".

Scape @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:57 pm

Wait till it hits 105$ a barrel

ziggy @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:05 pm

alienofwar alienofwar:
$1:
And Alien, gas in Canada is billed by the litre while in the US it's billed by the gallon. When you work it out, the prices are about the same, give or take a few cents.

Dude...1 gallon is equal to 3.7854 Litres. Now if your paying the average in the U.S at $1.80 a gallon for gas that converts to about 48 cents a litre!! The average American is paying 48 cents a litre for gas. While the average Canadian is paying, what, about 80-90 cents a litre?? Go ahead, check it out man: http://gocanada.about.com/cs/miscshoppi ... litres.htm

That doesn't look like a difference of a few cents. That's the difference between being able to go out to for pizza or buying that shirt you really wanted. Bottom line.
I thought one gallon was 4.56 liters 8O

EDIT-I was thinking of a Canadian gallon which I think is bigger. :wink:

canadian1971 @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:20 pm

THIS SUCKS........I got my own little(I stress the word little) business. When I started this, fuel was at 45 cents a litre, and came in 3rd on my "expenses" list. Now, it's by far #1....hell, it's more than my lease and insurance combinded!(curently #2 and #3 on the list) :x

Costs me today, to full up my truck, 8O $165....and I'm doing this once every 4-5 days 8O ....freaking oil companies...won't even use a bit of that oil to grease up me arse before the f*** me! :evil:

My contract expires in 2 months! Thank god. If the boys are not willing to renegotiate, then I'm out the freaking door. Sad to say, a couple people whos contracts have expired are now gone because they were not willing to renegotiate....Only hope I got is the fact that they really like me eh! I'm not sure why? :lol:

Anyone hiring?? :D

Richard @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:24 pm

It has to fluctuate like that so they (oil company's) cannot get busted for price fixing. Price gouging however is completely legal.

Energy Prices

ziggy @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:28 pm

canadian1971 canadian1971:
THIS SUCKS........I got my own little(I stress the word little) business. When I started this, fuel was at 45 cents a litre, and came in 3rd on my "expenses" list. Now, it's by far #1....hell, it's more than my lease and insurance combinded!(curently #2 and #3 on the list) :x

Costs me today, to full up my truck, 8O $165....and I'm doing this once every 4-5 days 8O ....freaking oil companies...won't even use a bit of that oil to grease up me arse before the f*** me! :evil:

My contract expires in 2 months! Thank god. If the boys are not willing to renegotiate, then I'm out the freaking door. Sad to say, a couple people whos contracts have expired are now gone because they were not willing to renegotiate....Only hope I got is the fact that they really like me eh! I'm not sure why? :lol:

Anyone hiring?? :D
Yup,going to Strathmore on saturday for a 5 year camp job. 8O One tank of gas every 11 days to get home and back. I can live with that. :wink:

ziggy @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:39 pm

Then we should protest loudly,we need something to protest about.

cappee @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:01 pm

Sorry boys & girls but I think I have you beat. Welcome to new Zealand!!

:evil:

NZ Herald a April 2005

Prices at petrol pumps hit record high

By MATHEW DEARNALEY

Petrol prices are at a record high today after the Government lifted its tax take by 5.63c a litre overnight - and more increases are feared.

A 5c rise in petrol excise and an average 24 per cent increase in road-user charges for light diesel vehicles are expected to yield an extra $207 million a year for new roads and public transport infrastructure.

This is before counting goods and services tax on the increases, including 0.63c for petrol.

The petrol rise was set to push the price of 91-octane at main-centre pumps to about 129.5c, and of lesser used 96-octane to almost 135c, amid fears of even higher increases now the New Zealand dollar is losing ground against the United States greenback.

Automobile Association public affairs director George Fairbairn exhorted motorists yesterday to fill up before the increases kicked in, saying fuel was "unlikely to be cheaper than it is today".

He fears the price of 91-octane will soon clear 130c - compared with the previous record 125.9c in October.

His message was not lost on many homeward-bound motorists last night, including a man who had filled his vehicle earlier but returned to a queue at BP’s Herne Bay service station with an extra container for fuel for his boat.

Although he believed the tax rise was justified, others strongly disagreed.

"It’s terrible, unfortunate. I don’t think they needed to do it," said Trudy Meredith, of Glenfield.

Herne Bay resident Andrew Bowker was similarly unconvinced, but said he hoped the extra revenue would go towards fixing Auckland’s roads.

Petrol stations last night said they had been busy all day as motorists filled their tanks to beat the price increase.

Dinesh Kangi, owner of Caltex Howick, said there had been a stream of cars coming in since opening at 6am.

Sur Venani, cashier at Mobil Glen Innes, said: "People were filling their tanks like there’s no tomorrow."

The Taxi Federation is already recommending that its members raise fares by about 5c a km to cover the tax rise and increases in petrol prices of about 10c a litre since January.

Shell Oil spokesman Simon King said the industry was reluctant to lift the price of 91-octane over a psychological bar of 130c, but was under "huge pressure" from production costs.

This was reflected by a shortlived bid by BP on Wednesday to jump the gun on the tax rise and raise its petrol prices by 2c a litre, which it abandoned after failing to tempt other oil companies to follow.

Spokesman Jonathan Hill pointed to a 3c drop in the value of the dollar against the greenback within three weeks, at the same time as continuing increases in the cost of crude oil.

The extra annual cost to the motorist of the tax rise is expected to range from about $56 to $84, depending on the size of vehicle driven.

This is based on an AA estimate that the average motorist drives about 14,000km a year, and average consumption by 12 to 14 vehicles in each of four engine sizes.

It would cost about $1293 a year at today’s price of 91-octane petrol to fuel a car of 1300cc or smaller, which the AA estimates uses an average of 7.13 litres for every 100km driven.

This rises to $1296 for cars up to 1600cc, $1506 for those up to 2 litres (2000cc) and $1940 for larger vehicles including four-wheel-drives.

Customs Minister Rick Barker told Parliament last year that the tax rise could add about $83 to the average household’s annual outgoings.

Last night’s increase pushed the total portion of taxes, levies and other Government charges on petrol to 61.36c a litre, with the oil companies taking just over 68c for 91-octane.

ziggy @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm

It's interesting to see how just a few cents a litre affects people. It creates hardship all around when your homebound while the rich CEO's have no problem filling their tanks. I think any eastern support for kyoto go's without saying that it's an Alberta hate a thon. I see it constantly on forums....Albertans are the worst polluters,Albertans are the worst blah blah blah.Lets tax the shite out of them,blah blah blah! that will teach those dumb Albertans. Jheeeez louise,we payed off our debt(not with out some sacrifice) we made mistakes and moved on. So if the rest of Canada has a problem with us then maybe they should take a real hard look at where their dollars are coming from. Guys like rev are rubbing their hands in glee at the fact that a 20 cent/liter tax will be imposed,but then he works from home. What does he care?

Maybe once we stop giving out the handouts they will take notice. :evil:

Some folks have to realize you have to work to make a living. Myself.I'm getting tired of subsidizing folks that could be working and would rather sit on the PC all day and night and wing about it. :wink: :wink:

And gas went up to 82.9 today.

canadian1971 @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:29 pm

$1:
Gas went down to 92.0 today.... afew hours after I filled up at 96.0.

Story of my life.

LMFAO....this happens to me all the freaking time!

It's funny....here in Calgary, they post a price then say "save 3.5 cents at the pump!"......I don't get it...pisses me off that the bastards fell like the gotta make me do some math before they bend me over!

xerxes @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:31 pm

Yeah, what is the point of that? Math is so overrated. There is one station in Abbotsford which shows the real price on their sign. Naturally it's an out of the way gas station.

Previous  1  2  3  Next