Canada Kicks Ass
Pump price jump 'nuts'

1  2  3  Next

RoyalHighlander @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:31 am

90 cents a liter??

It's a record for Edmonton that city motorists sure aren't celebrating. Drivers were letting off steam yesterday about record-high gas prices that hit 89.9 cents per litre at stations across the city.

"I think it's nuts," hotel night manager Adam Hickey, 25, said as he geared up to fill his Ford Explorer.

"I'm probably looking at about $30 for half a tank."

Yellow Cab driver Joginder Sangha said the price hike will take a big bite out of his income.

"It hurts everybody, the gas prices," Sangha said.

"There's lots of oil in Alberta. I don't know why the prices are so high."

Edmonton business analyst Terry McKee was washing her windows at a downtown station yesterday while other drivers filled up for the premium price.

McKee, 46, walks to work and takes the bus to Calgary to visit her husband, so she drives only a few times a month.

"I really feel sorry for the people who just have to pay the price," she said.

"I think it's kind of a shame with us living in an oil capital."

The owner and manager of Centex Gas at 17046 90 Ave. said grumbling drivers were pouring in yesterday looking for a better deal.

Centex offers a discount of five cents a litre off its posted gas price every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, said Zuli Karmali.

It normally offers a 3.5-cents-per-litre discount.

"We have it at 84.9," Karmali said.

"We are pretty steady (with customers)," Karmali said.

The increasing price of crude oil is driving up pump prices, said analyst Michael Ervin, president of the Calgary-based MJ Ervin and Associates Inc.

"They're certainly much higher than, say, a year ago."

The price of oil is up to about $56 US a barrel compared with prices a year ago that sat at about $37 US a barrel, Ervin said.

And motorists aren't likely to pay less at the pumps as summer approaches, he added.

"In addition to the increased crude costs, we're entering a time of the year when prices usually go up," Ervin said.

The good news: "I don't think we'll see $1 (per litre) fuel in Edmonton or Calgary or places like that."

ziggy @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:40 am

Still 79.9 here but that may have changed. Bottled water is twice that price.

Erinites @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:43 am

84.9 and that was a low for yesterday.

It has been ridiculous. :x

Streaker @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:46 am

The highest I've seen it in Montreal was 98 cents. Then, two days later, it was down to something like 87 cents. The pricing seems so arbitrary that you can't help but have suspicions about the oil companies... :?

ziggy @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:54 am

For the 20 cent/litre kyoto tax that some are gunning for.
Just another good reason for big oil to raise prices again,to protect the environment.cough cough! Get used to it,I just dont drive anymore unless I have to.
Spend my holidays at home now.

At one time Kelowna would get thousands a week from me in gorby bucks.

RUEZ @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:57 am

They sure like to blame all of this on government taxes, but I watched a news report on how the oil companies are making record profits. In the billions! :evil:

RoyalHighlander @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:42 am

One thin that allways pissed me off was the way that gas prices would allways spike, just before a long weekend,, Thats when "everyone" would gas up the family car to go visit Aunt matilda in Estevan Sk. Then magially on Mon or Tues the price would come back down again... So what was the world crisis that caused that price spike?? maybe im a conspiracy thoerist, but why allways befoere a long week end??

dgthe3 @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:59 am

To everyone that thinks gas is expensive, compare it to a 1L bottle of water, or an extra large coffee, or pop from a vending machine. Oil is cheaper than nearly any liquid that you can buy, even when it is almost twice the price it was 10 years ago. Just something to keep in mind.

Canadaka @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:46 am

Its 99.3 when i drive tow ork in the morning, and about 94.9 after work.

the gas stations raise the price every morning, bastards.

But we have a weird thing going on in the lower mainland (Vancouver Area) All gas stations offcer 3-4 cents off at the pump. Starting with a couple stations doin it as promotion, but now they all do it, so kidna silly, why not just lower the advertised price.

alienofwar @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:15 am

Here in west coast of the U.S gas prices are soaring to almost 2.80 a gallon. Translates to about 70 cents a litre. Those are some of the highest prices though, on average we are paying 1.80 a gallon throughout the whole U.S or about 45 cents a litre to you Canadians.

But 90 cents a litre in Edmonton!?????????????????????????????????? Almost $1 in Vancouver??????????? Gooooooood freaking god, how do you guys afford to drive up there???

Oh wait, but it's the corporations fault not the gov't, so lets all blame the evil oil executives!

LOL. Once again, Canadians taking the blame away from high gov't taxes and putting it on the corporation. Always the same story. Then again...thats exactly what they want you to do.

alienofwar @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:25 am

Hey, when its ripe for the picking :wink:

dknychic @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:34 am

Lol! for a sec there, I thought you guys were talking abt. price/gallon....I was like wtf are they complaining abt? lol!

It's like 2.36/ gallon here (and that's on the high end in the States) and it's still waaaaay cheaper than what you guys are paying! I wonder why that is?

blubs @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:40 am

lily , cka , can you guys tell me if the gas is any cheaper in Abbotsford Chilliwack area. Was just wondering after living for a long time in BC I found gas cheaper there than Langley , Burnaby , Surrey.

Scape @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:36 am

96.9$ here

xerxes @ Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:44 am

Blubs, I saw 95.0 in Chilliwack yesterday when it was 79.9 here in Abby.

And Alien, gas in Canada is billed by the litre while in the US it's billed by the gallon. When you work it out, the prices are about the same, give or take a few cents.

1  2  3  Next