Canada Kicks Ass
Alberta Help Wanted

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Banff @ Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:55 pm

Millright ? you'd be best off going to Canada Cement Lafarge in Exshaw Alberta . It is the second biggest plant in the Country .I think family still basicly owns the plant ...there's so many of them that have worked or still are there. Beautiful place big bucks and expensive to live but hard to beat the surrounding communities. I'm looking for help too, in getting into trucking anything dry/van , reefer , flatbed , etc just not ice roads or long trips from home and hopefully in the Swift Current area . I have 3 little children . Ziggy was very helpful but I think I pissed him off so he ignores now .

ziggy @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:39 am

Banff Banff:
Millright ? you'd be best off going to Canada Cement Lafarge in Exshaw Alberta . It is the second biggest plant in the Country .I think family still basicly owns the plant ...there's so many of them that have worked or still are there. Beautiful place big bucks and expensive to live but hard to beat the surrounding communities. I'm looking for help too, in getting into trucking anything dry/van , reefer , flatbed , etc just not ice roads or long trips from home and hopefully in the Swift Current area . I have 3 little children . Ziggy was very helpful but I think I pissed him off so he ignores now .

Actually Im working in the Arctic now so not ignoring anyone,the rest of the world kind of takes a back seat when I'm in camp. Just getting by one day at a time without freezing the nads off is about all I have on my mind when there.

About Lafarge,did I mention they haul their coal from the
Line Creek mine here in the elk valley? they had to get drivers from out of town and province to fill the seats,I did post the number here somewhere on this thread methinks.As far as trades go the Elk Valley Coal Corporation has been hiring for awhile,all their plants and shops put together would make lafarge look like a very small place.

wildrosegirl @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:59 am

Hey Zig...

Know anything about a company called NorTerra?

ziggy @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 am

proudcanukchick proudcanukchick:
Hey Zig...

Only that they own Canadian North airlines and they have landed on our lake for resupply.

wildrosegirl @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 am

ziggy ziggy:
Hey Zig...

Only that they own Canadian North airlines and they have landed on our lake for resupply.

Yep - that's them.

K. Thanks anyway!

ziggy @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:22 am

ziggy ziggy:
Hey Zig...

Yep - that's them.

K. Thanks anyway!

I see they fly out of Calgary to Rankin now,I usually fly Calm air after Winterpeg.Hate that milk run.

wildrosegirl @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:26 am

ziggy ziggy:
ziggy ziggy:
Hey Zig...

Yep - that's them.

K. Thanks anyway!

I see they fly out of Calgary to Rankin now,I usually fly Calm air after Winterpeg.Hate that milk run.

Yeah, they do. I have some of their information here, but I can't find it at the moment.
They just acquired a 4th branch of companies as well, so their flights may expand further yet in the next bit. It'll be interesting to see how much they expand.

ziggy @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 am

ziggy ziggy:
ziggy ziggy:
Hey Zig...

Yep - that's them.

K. Thanks anyway!

Yeah, they do. I have some of their information here, but I can't find it at the moment.
They just acquired a 4th branch of companies as well, so their flights may expand further yet in the next bit. It'll be interesting to see how much they expand.

Ya Calm air needs some competition,the saying in Baker lake is "if the plane comes in at all,then it's on time" :roll:

wildrosegirl @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:33 am

ziggy ziggy:
ziggy ziggy:
ziggy ziggy:
Hey Zig...

Yep - that's them.

K. Thanks anyway!

Ya Calm air needs some competition,the saying in Baker lake is "if the plane comes in at all,then it's on time" :roll:

:lol:

It seems to me, for some reason, that Baker Lake WAS on the list for CNA... could be wrong. I'll have to find that info later.

ziggy @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:57 am

ziggy ziggy:
ziggy ziggy:
ziggy ziggy:
Hey Zig...

Yep - that's them.

K. Thanks anyway!

:lol:

It seems to me, for some reason, that Baker Lake WAS on the list for CNA... could be wrong. I'll have to find that info later.
Think our new owners are going to get their own charter,as most of the people at camp come from Vancouver,the rest from yellowknife or Kamloops,lil ol me in Calgary,it would work out good not haveing to make all the stops north of Winnipeg,fly via Calgary,Yellowknife and then straight to Baker. None of this Thompson/Churchill/whale cove/Arviat/Rankin Inlet/chesterfield bay stuff,too many chances to get stuck in one of those airports.

Last week when the 9:00 pm calm air flight didnt make it in we showed up thursday morning for the rescheduled flight,no one was even at the terminal,had to send someone back to town to wake the people who work there up. :roll: Apparently the weather looked bad that night so they all slept in knowing the flight wouldnt be in untill 1:00 that afternoon.No one told anyone or said anything.

Ya they need some competition.

Stevenpfo @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:31 pm

ziggy ziggy:
Actually Im working in the Arctic now so not ignoring anyone,the rest of the world kind of takes a back seat when I'm in camp. Just getting by one day at a time without freezing the nads off is about all I have on my mind when there.

About Lafarge,did I mention they haul their coal from the
Line Creek mine here in the elk valley? they had to get drivers from out of town and province to fill the seats,I did post the number here somewhere on this thread methinks.As far as trades go the Elk Valley Coal Corporation has been hiring for awhile,all their plants and shops put together would make lafarge look like a very small place.

Hey guys. Thanks for the tips. I've actually worked in Sparwood before and up at Elkford fixing/installing conveyor belts. It's very nice down there. Their site says they're looking for Millwrights so i'll most likely throw in an application. They probably only want journeyman though. :lol:

Stevenpfo @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 pm

It's been about 6-7 years since i've been there. I can't remember the name of anything there. We worked at Greenhills (if I remember correctly). I thinking Fording ran the place. It was mostly quick jobs. Come in for 3 days and patch a few spots on a belt and cut out a bad section of belt. We did a decent sized job up at Elkford once for 21 days. Completely replaced one belt and fixed up a few other bad spots on a few other belts.

ziggy @ Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:43 pm

Stevenpfo Stevenpfo:
It's been about 6-7 years since i've been there. I can't remember the name of anything there. :lol: We worked at Greenhills (if I remember correctly). I thinking Fording ran the place. It was mostly quick jobs. Come in for 3 days and patch a few spots on a belt and cut out a bad section of belt. We did a decent sized job up at Elkford once for 21 days. Completely replaced one belt and fixed up a few other bad spots on a few other belts.

Ya Fording and Teck(Elkview) own the whole valley now and its called the Elk Vally Coal Corporation.

AKZ @ Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:48 am

I would like to find out more about the possibilities in Alberta.

It seems that most jobs are either in the oil industry or manual labour.

Are there any openings in administration / office type jobs? Also, is there a need for bilingual people in AB?

So far, there is no indication that there are high paying jobs in the administration field. From what I have seen, it seems that office jobs pay just about the same as they do in my region. Plus, with the cost of living being so expensive, not sure if there are any incentives to make the move all the way to Alberta.

I have made some calls in order to find out some information, but did not get much.

Are there any jobs sites that particularly show administration jobs?

Thanks for the information posted so far. But any additional information would be helpful. Thank you.

Stevenpfo @ Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:27 am

I don't know if this will be helpful for you or not but you could always try these sites to get a rough idea of what's currently out there:

jobbank . gc . ca
monster . ca
workpolis . com

Like I said. I don't know if those will help you but they may give you an idea of what is either out there or how much some companies are willing to pay you for what you do.

(sorry, it won't let me post proper links until I have 10 posts) :lol:

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next