Canada Kicks Ass
It's time to distance ourselves from the US

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  Next

ManifestDestiny @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:54 am

Bacardi4206 Bacardi4206:
ManifestDestiny ManifestDestiny:
Back in 1999 I think it was I planned a trip to Sask. for whitetail deer. I was about to book the trip when the guide told me I had to rent a gun there cause Canada just passed a law barring US citizen from bringing their own guns with them to hunt. I said forget it I will go elesewhere to hunt. He said yeah thats what alot of people have been doing.

A week later he called me back all excited like a little kid telling me they toook off the ban cause the guides and ranches lost about 3 billion dollars cause US citizens stopped coming.

This a small example of how you cant just do what you guys are saying.

By the way loved the trip shot a 165 class buck.

You know that Canadians are big hunters. This story sounds wierd to me because American hunters wouldn't really make a big enough price difference to make them change it because they would always have Canadian hunters in that area or people from other areas across Canada that want to go hunting.

3 billion dollars though? Are you sure that's the real price? Either Canadian hunting in 1999 was really expensive, or Americans really liked to hunt deer in Canada.

Back then is was about 3500 US for a week. Its close to 5000=8000 now. not cheap.

Its not that you dont have hunters you have plenty. But if you live in Sask. why would you pay an outfitter when you or one of your friends own land. or you could lease land.

Its kind like saying we dont need tourists in NYC we have plenty of people here. But then I cant recall the last time I went to see the sights in NYC.

ManifestDestiny @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:15 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
ManifestDestiny ManifestDestiny:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
That's why we need to slowly untwine the economies before we "back away"

And by the time you start the USA economy will be rolling again, no one will be saying to break ties with the USA they will say how evil the corporations in the USA are.
LMFAO, You honestly think America's economy is going to come back?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Even if it did, I don't care if I was the last one still saying it: Fuck America, let's go somewhere else, please.

Frist off the economy is not that bad. the late 80s was worse. and the late 70s under Carter were the worst, in recent memeory. I say by the fall things will come back.

Clogeroo @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 am

$1:

How can you be too poor to participate in international trade? If you got a resource of value, you open markets from other countries to it, then money will poor in. Look at Saudi Arabia. Some countries are just not blessed with much to trade.

Only problem would be affording a port, and storage systems. However you would have to be really poor to not be-able to afford one as a country, even a really crappy one. However if you got something of real value, then other countries would build a port for you.

Well when other countries raise tariffs against another nation's resources to protect their own in order to avoid any competition it leads to one nation's resources not being developed since no one is wanting to buy them or is wanting them in the marketplace. But this also hurts the countries using tariffs because it leads to companies not being as efficient or resourceful in order to compete with other businesses and generally leads to higher prices for consumers and long-term repercussions.

Benoit @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 am

dog77_1999 dog77_1999:
Streaker Streaker:
Benoit Benoit:
Canada replacing United States by China would be like a man divorcing to marry his wife’s best girlfriend.

You forget to mention that his wife is a crazy, overbearing, thieving nag.

And the girlfriend is going to him for the insurance money.

A broken marriage would be the end of Pax Americana and the new one would be something the world would be forced to call Pax China.

Tokimini @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 am

mtbr mtbr:
ArghMonkey ArghMonkey:
Ya .......

I get called a taliban terrorist and IM the troll ...

Do any of u have a clue whats going on?

Just tell me ur a conservative and let me ignore ur existence *L*

come back on Sunday... that's anti-american day hosted by Streaker

I thought it was everyday.

Tokimini @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:16 am

It's time to distance ourselves from the US

Don't bother, we're already doing it for you. It's the "thickening of the border" your ambassador is always whining about, and the next president, who will be a democrat, will be gutting NAFTA. In the mean time, I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all finding another country that will buy $80 billion a month in goods from you.

JustKate @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:32 am

Tokimini Tokimini:
mtbr mtbr:
ArghMonkey ArghMonkey:
Ya .......

I get called a taliban terrorist and IM the troll ...

Do any of u have a clue whats going on?

Just tell me ur a conservative and let me ignore ur existence *L*

come back on Sunday... that's anti-american day hosted by Streaker

I thought it was everyday.

Not by ALL. Concider that. :)

dog77_1999 @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:19 am

Rationalist Rationalist:
I'm not only talking about the BRIC countries growing, there's also going to be a contraction in the GDP of the US which will make the transition faster. When you talk about USA being wealthier than these countries, you have to remember what wealth is being measured in. Remember, when you measure GDP of a country it's generally done in US dollars. When you use the PPP measure you get a clearer picture. With the depreciation of the dollar, you will definitely see the exchange rates factor into the equation even more, and as the dollar declines against Asian currencies, by definition that is a transfer of wealth and purchasing power away from the United States and over to Asia. China's GDP in PPP is already 11 trillion, if you believe the IMF's figures. For every day that the exchange rate slides, China is getting slightly richer in comparison.

Saying that the savings rate is too high to foster domestic consumption doesn't make sense - if the supply is there, the demand will follow. It wouldn't surprise me if Chinese start to use their savings to purchase goods. That's besides the point, because it is easy to have a high savings rate and consumption. Consumption is the ends, not the means, of economic growth. As for Chinese politicians getting rich of the back of the people, I'm sure China has its share of corrupt politicians, but it's a pretty weird statement, considering the average Chinese politician lives a much less lavish life than the average American politician, who usually get high paying jobs in private companies after their term (look up "revolving door" as it applies to the Congress in Wikipedia). That kind of behavior would get a politician executed in China, and they have been.

Of course I don't think the political system in China is better than the US, but you have to realize that each one has its own separate flaws.

Contractions in the US economy are shortlived due to the fact that there is continous population growth. Remember, the US is expected to have another 100 million people by 2050, or a total of 400 million. Keeping productivity the same, the real value of GDP grows 33%.

PPP, is not a measure of currency, but rather compares the cost of certain items in that country. An example would be a loaf of bread costs $1.50 in the US, and the equivilent costs $2.00 in China. It doesn't neccessarly reflect the strength of the currency because products are priced in the local currency. Now when businesses begin to raise their prices, then the PPP value will change.

Not neccessarly true. Imagine the savings rate is like brake on the economy. Each time money changes hand some of it leaves the economy into savings. For example, how long would it before 80% of money would go into savings?

5% savings:

1 .95 .9025 .8574 .8145 .74 ....

It would have to change 31-32 times to get to that point.

40% savings:

1 .6 .36 .216 .1296

So 4-5 times

And think each time that money trades hands goes towards the GDP. Now there is nothing wrong with 40% savings, but everyone will have a pretty poor standard of living as there is still too many goods on the market. You would have to export those goods in order to bring money into the economy.

The Chinese system is where the local party officials are either owners of companies or receive bribes before work is done. Relatively, they live a much better lifestyle then the average Chinese worker. While corruption exists in the US, it would be foolish to say the levels are the same as China.

ridenrain @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Good thing we saved MDA for our new Chinese overlords. It's bad enough our trains, metalurgy, manufacturing and everything else is eithe being stolen or handed over by the army of green usefull idiots. We could go back to being drawers of water and hewers of wood but that's not sustainable either. I guess Canada will become just one big colony and theme park, and our children doomed to be waiters and waitresses.
Over the top perhaps but not more than the ranting and unsubstantiated anti-American rhetoric that's peddled here.

Benoit @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:51 pm

dog77_1999 dog77_1999:
Contractions in the US economy are shortlived due to the fact that there is continous population growth.

The duration of economic downturns is not correlated to the rate of growth of the population.

sandorski @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Streaker Streaker:
Benoit Benoit:
Canada replacing United States by China would be like a man divorcing to marry his wife’s best girlfriend.

...and that the wife's best gf is Cheryl Tiegs!

Hey Wife! Buh-bye!!

Benoit @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:09 pm

sandorski sandorski:
Streaker Streaker:
Benoit Benoit:

Hey Wife! Buh-bye!!

The two women were exchanging so many clothes that the man sees barely a difference.

Streaker @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:40 pm

sandorski sandorski:
Streaker Streaker:
Benoit Benoit:

Hey Wife! Buh-bye!!

ROTFL

Wife: Fat crazy nag.

Wife's friend: Graceful, beautiful Cheryl Tiegs look-alike.

Easy choice. 8)

Streaker @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Benoit Benoit:
sandorski sandorski:
Streaker Streaker:
Benoit Benoit:

Hey Wife! Buh-bye!!

The two women were exchanging so many clothes that the man sees barely a difference.

No: His wife is morbidly obese.

Public_Domain @ Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:43 pm

:|

Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  Next