Canada Kicks Ass
Obama: Everyone wants to be us

1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next

DanSC @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:40 pm

$1:
DENVER -- The president took American exceptionalism to a whole new level Wednesday by suggesting that not only is the United States the greatest nation on earth, but every other country wants to be us.

"...[W]e’ve still got the best workers in the world. We’ve got the best entrepreneurs in the world. We’ve got the best scientists and researchers in the world, the best colleges, and the best universities in the world," he said at a campaign rally in Colorado. "We’re still a young nation, and we’ve got the greatest diversity of talent and ingenuity, and people want to come here from every corner of the globe.

"So no matter what the naysayers tell us, no matter how dark the other side tries to make things look, the fact is there is not another country on earth that would not gladly trade places with the United States of America.”

A curious bit of hyperbole when one considers that Muslim countries have a decidedly negative view of America. In a recent Pew survey, disapproval of the United States was above 70 percent in Egypt, Turkey and Pakistan and hit 86 percent in Jordan.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012 ... 31495.html

I think you're an alright guy Mr. President. I love living here, and there are people from all over the world who want to live here too, but to say that everyone wants to live here is absurd and reeks of desperation.

Lemmy @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 pm

You're a smart guy, Dan. You're gonna vote for Obama, right?

DanSC @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
You're a smart guy, Dan. You're gonna vote for Obama, right?

Unlikely. I'd like to vote for Obama, but I can't vote for a guy who keeps a personal kill list. That doesn't mean I'll vote for Romney.

Besides, I live in California. It doesn't matter how I vote.

Lemmy @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I know what it's like to feel your vote is meaningless. I just can't fathom how anyone with half a brain in their head (and I don't mean you personally, Dan) wouldn't want to do whatever they could to prevent the GOP from taking any power in your country. It'd be entrusting the chicken-switch to a group of 10 year-olds.

Thanos @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Campaign trail bragging is just gauche, no matter who does it. Americans needing to convince themselves that everyone else wants to live like them is well past it's best-before date as far as ideas go and is kinda annoying.

I have everything I'll ever need in life here in Canada. I have no desire to relocate southwards to the US just to surround myself with a bunch of useless and obsolete myths. If I hear that "we're the only free country on Earth" crap coming from Americans much more I'm going to puke.

Two-hundred-and-thirty-odd years old? You're not one of the "youngest" countries out there anymore. In fact you're in your mature years, so how about growing up a bit and acting your age for a change? :?

xerxes @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Reminds me of that nameless colonel from Full Metal Jacket:

"Son, we're here to help the Vietnamese because inside every gook, there is an American trying to get out."

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Barry-O Barry-O:
"So no matter what the naysayers tell us, no matter how dark the other side tries to make things look, the fact is there is not another country on earth that would not gladly trade places with the United States of America.”

No doubt about that at all. Who wouldn't want Canada as a neighbour? :mrgreen:

Oh wait, nevermind, they'd have to put up with Mexico too. :lol:

andyt @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 am

BC is the best place on earth. Said so right on our license plates. Them ain't no small potatoes.

Public_Domain @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:39 am

Bizarre attitude, something I'd expect of... Well, every country on earth.

GreenTiger @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:55 am

xerxes xerxes:
Reminds me of that nameless colonel from Full Metal Jacket:

"Son, we're here to help the Vietnamese because inside every gook, there is an American trying to get out."

I was getting ready to type exactly the same thing, but you beat me to it.

2Cdo @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:32 am

Thanos Thanos:
If I hear that "we're the only free country on Earth" crap coming from Americans much more I'm going to puke.

If the US was as "free" as they think they are they would be a utopia!

raydan @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:54 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Thanos Thanos:
If I hear that "we're the only free country on Earth" crap coming from Americans much more I'm going to puke.

If the US was as "free" as they think they are they would be a utopia!

Considering what they owe, they are FAR from free. What must hurt the most though, is that the largest single holder of U.S. government debt is China.

Gunnair @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:18 am

andyt andyt:
BC is the best place on earth. Said so right on our license plates. Them ain't no small potatoes.

And my Island is the best place in BC

bootlegga @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 am

DanSC DanSC:
Prez Obama Prez Obama:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012 ... 31495.html

Thanks, but Canada suits me just fine!

Some complain about the cold weather but I just retort that it keeps the assholes out! :lol:

herbie @ Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
andyt andyt:

And my Island is the best place in BC

For the three weeks between when the snow melts and the bugs come, Bulkley-Nechako is the best place in BC....
the Island can have the other 49 weeks.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next