Canada Kicks Ass
Obama: Everyone wants to be us

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Unsound @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 am

I would also say that I really doubt most Canadians know so much more about the states than they do about us because they've actually put any effort into learning. The vast majority of your average Canadians knowledge of the US comes about due to our being saturated with american media and popular culture.

BeaverFever @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

Well I think you're mostly right there, but I would add that there is necessarily a lot of US-related content in Canadian education curriculum. For example, Canada-US relations always forms some component of most basic Canadian history and economics courses.

raydan @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:12 am

Unsound Unsound:
The vast majority of your average Canadians knowledge of the US comes about due to our being saturated with american media and popular culture.

Jersey Shore, Honey Boo-Boo and Dr. Phil. :lol:

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:25 am

raydan raydan:
Jersey Shore, Honey Boo-Boo and Dr. Phil. :lol:

CNN and Wolf Blitzer :D

pineywoodslim @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:

I think you mean that there are probably more Americans crossing the Mexican border than the Canadian one, which would probably be true.

I've always thought there are WAY more border crossings between Canada and the USA (mostly Canadians) - but I could be wrong.

Who knows? I read in wikipedia that the crossing from Tijuana to San Diego is the world's largest land border crossing. Guess it makes sense given that there are probably 15-20 million Americans living within 2 hours of it, a third of whom have Mexican ancestry.

I went through the Detroit-Windsor border crossing last spring at 7 pm on a Friday--took about 5 minutes and no wait. I was surprised at that.

Funny thing--I was in Newfoundland in May and noticed a large number of RV's parked in backyards, just figured Newfoundlanders did a lot of camping and so forth. But no, a local told me that half his town of fishermen headed to Florida for the winter. Must be a sight to see at the Maine border in December, a province of nomads lined up and headed south. :)

Oh, and he also told me that first thing across the border into Maine, most of them hit the liquor stores for the cheap Maine booze, :lol:

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm

You may well be right. I have only my impression to go on.

The booze is no surprise. It's about a quarter (or less) of what it costs here!

If the fishermen can still collect pogey in the off season it must be a good life. Off season is most of the year! :mrgreen:

pineywoodslim @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
You may well be right. I have only my impression to go on.

The booze is no surprise. It's about a quarter (or less) of what it costs here!

Yes, I had some Canadian change to get rid of before I headed back to the states, so thought I'd spend it on a 6 pack of Molson Canadian in Windsor. Cost something like around $10.00 I believe. Bought a six pack of Molson when I got back home here in Iowa . . . . . . . for $6.99!

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:36 pm

pineywoodslim pineywoodslim:
Yes, I had some Canadian change to get rid of before I headed back to the states, so thought I'd spend it on a 6 pack of Molson Canadian in Windsor. Cost something like around $10.00 I believe. Bought a six pack of Molson when I got back home here in Iowa . . . . . . . for $6.99!

Yes, beer is cheaper in the States but not by as much as liquor.

Florida in March - 66 oz of Canadian whisky - $13.00

Ontario - 66 oz. - $54.00

Four for the price of one in Florida.

pineywoodslim @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:

Yes, beer is cheaper in the States but not by as much as liquor.

Florida in March - 66 oz of Canadian whisky - $13.00

Ontario - 66 oz. - $54.00

Four for the price of one in Florida.

Wow, that's a big difference. I am originally from Louisiana, and Florida was always known as a really cheap liquor state, but not that much so.

So much for free trade between nations, eh?

Not so much free trade between provinces or states is there? I once lived in Memphis, Tennessee, and the Tennessee state police would have undercover cops 1 mile south in the state of Mississippi writing down license plate numbers of Tennessee residents purchasing cheap Mississippi booze and busting them when they crossed the state border.

No different in Canada I guess.

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 pm

No different in Canada I guess.

I don't really know. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Ohio is another cheap booze state. When I was in Dayton a couple of years ago, I paid I think $15 for a Texas mickey (66 oz.) of Canadian Rye.

I actually asked the cashier if the bottles were on the wrong shelf.

Lemmy @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Ohio is another cheap booze state. When I was in Dayton a couple of years ago, I paid I think $15 for a Texas mickey (66 oz.) of Canadian Rye.

A Texas mickey is bigger than a 66-er; 3L, slightly more than 100 oz.

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
A Texas mickey is bigger than a 66-er; 3L, slightly more than 100 oz.

Thanks, didn't know that. We call the 66 oz a Texas mickey around here. Maybe just a local thing.

Lemmy @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 pm

...and Albertans call a 12-pack "a case". ROTFL

Jonny_C @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

I DID know that, having spent considerable time in Calgary and Edmonton. :mrgreen:

Otherwise a very civilized place. Senior citizens get a free 26er of "medicinal" liquor a month. (Or they used to. Do they still do that?)

SprCForr @ Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

All westerners do. 2-4's are a relatively new thing.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next