Canada Kicks Ass
Should Canada expand her borders?

1  2  3  4  5 ... 8  Next

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:14 am

Is it high time that Canada get some more territory?

I was reading some articles on wikipedia last night(cuz I couldn't sleep) and I came across a little tidbit that says that some Alaska Independence Party members have mused that Alaska should consider seperating from the States and joining Canada.

While I know this is highly unlikely, would it not be possible to offer Alaska acceptance into Confederation? And we could "seal the deal" by giving them special status and powers a la Quebec.

And all this got me thinking...Why not go all the way? Let's talk to Greenland about some options, and let's approach the Turks and Caicos Islands again.

I'm just trying to start a dialogue here. Do you hate this idea? Love it? I think it could be interesting having Alaska as a part of Canada...Then we'd control nearly all of North America's arctic. :D

mtbr @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:20 am

Think of how much more cash the east would receive from oil 8O

but, I'm sure Alaskans would tell you to got to hell if you brought up equalization or NEP even Carbon Tax.

hwacker @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 am

Good luck with that. You should have gone to sleep it would have been more constructive.

mtbr @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:30 am

hwacker hwacker:
Good luck with that. You should have gone to sleep it would have been more constructive.

maybe he was smoking something as well :wink: :D

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 am

Nope, I was just sleep deprived. :lol:

And thanks for not even entertaining my idea/giving your own. All you resorted to what political soapboxing. I guess I shouldn't have held my hopes so high.. :P

Anyway, if anyone is even remotely willing to discuss this topic without resorting to political bias or personal jabs, I say we do so.

Would it not be possible to let Alaska in as a sort of "Nation within a United Nation" concept? We could pretty much let them be autonomous, but the only things they'd have to do is join Confederation, adopt the Canadian dollar, and pay taxes like everyone else.

Feel free to add on the incentives we could offer Alaska for joining Confederation.

Zipperfish @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:58 am

We could just invade Alaska. I'm pretty sure we can take them.

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I don't think they'd appreciate that. :lol:

Plus, America has numerous facilities and Military bases in Alaska, and Canada alone cannot fight the American Military head to head.

Tracker @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 am

I'm sure the majority of Americans are proud of Alaska and wouldn't want to give it up. I personally wouldn't want it to be a part of Canada.

Plus, it's better to have the American military up there. The Russians have been keeping the U.S. Air Force very busy lately.

mtbr @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 am

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
Nope, I was just sleep deprived. :lol:

And thanks for not even entertaining my idea/giving your own. All you resorted to what political soapboxing. I guess I shouldn't have held my hopes so high.. :P

Anyway, if anyone is even remotely willing to discuss this topic without resorting to political bias or personal jabs, I say we do so.

Would it not be possible to let Alaska in as a sort of "Nation within a United Nation" concept? We could pretty much let them be autonomous, but the only things they'd have to do is join Confederation, adopt the Canadian dollar, and pay taxes like everyone else.

Feel free to add on the incentives we could offer Alaska for joining Confederation.

It's all political no soapboxing. If we were to give Alaska special status what would prevent every other province from wanting the same?

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:14 am

$1:
If we were to give Alaska special status what would prevent every other province from wanting the same?

Like they don't already? :lol:

ziggy @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Just tell the Innuit that the eskimo's are trash talking them again and the battle will be on.
With the recent influx of cash from res school payouts most have traded their WW2 british 303's for shiny new rifles,arctic cats and honda's.

:o

Seriously though we cant keep enough fuel and food going to our north,never mind Alaska.

saturn_656 @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 am

Tracker Tracker:
I'm sure the majority of Americans are proud of Alaska and wouldn't want to give it up. I personally wouldn't want it to be a part of Canada.

I'm sure the Americans would hate giving up territory, but why wouldn't we want it?

Personally I wish we had Alaska, Greenland, Turks and Caicos, etc.

Time for the "Canadian Empire" 8)

Public_Domain @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:46 am

First Alaska, then the world! Bahahahah.

Yes, I've thought of this too, :cool:

I dream of an empire.

The only problem with getting Alaska would be the beef from the Continental USA.

Alaskans themselves, generally, wouldn't mind being Canadian. Many of them have our accent, and they fly out flags over their schools, hospitals, town halls...

And most harbour a deep hate for the continental USA. Bitter about being excluded from anything done in the USA, even being cut off from television stations. They feel alienated.

I'm sure we could treat them a lot better, :cool:

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:54 am

While Alaskans definately feel alienated, they are proud to be Alaskan. The Alaska Independence Party is a strong third party up there...If anything, msot would opt to be their own Country...Which in Canada, is allowed... ;)

Public_Domain @ Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 am

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
While Alaskans definately feel alienated, they are proud to be Alaskan. The Alaska Independence Party is a strong third party up there...If anything, msot would opt to be their own Country...Which in Canada, is allowed... ;)

Ahahhahahah.

As soon as they became independent of the USA, it wouldn't be hard to start lobbying for them to join Canada. For their very survival, after all, with promises of better treatment, perhaps a few deals, etc etc...

1  2  3  4  5 ... 8  Next