Canada Kicks Ass
US military Bullying Canadian Civilians

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Scape @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:26 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
Right, I forgot, security trumps freedom. Thanks for the reminder.

Security doesn't trump freedom. These people are free to protest somewhere else.

They are not free to protest at the HQ for the security for three heads of state.

Read TFA. The security decided to make their previously booked venue the HQ for security, not the other way around.

If it makes you feel any better, the Secret Service is unable to close off Pennsylvania Avenue right in front of the White House to protestors.

That these people got bounced doesn't bother me all that much. Security for the three people in charge of North America is more important than their having a place to coordinate with International ANSWER.

Doesn't it sound odd that they picked that precise venue only after it was booked and not before? Why did they clear it to begin with and why did they cancel it on the authority of a foreign Military power?To me sounds like they had no intent but to quash it and security was used as the excuse that they can defer to after the fact. This was an organized, sanctioned peaceful protest that went through all the hoops to get the space a space 6 kilometers from the event. I have zero tolerance for any foreign power on Canadian soil having authority over Canadian citizens. They could have been from the Russian consulate trying to defend yet another drunk driver for all I care diplomatic immunity used with impunity is odious. I bet you would be the 1st person screaming about this had it happened on your soil and it was Hugo telling your people where they can go.

EyeBrock @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:36 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ziggy ziggy:
Now everyones agenda is showing.Why no uproar against the RCMP? Or is it just more convenient to blame the Yanks?

Hehe. No, you have it all wrong. I can see the RCMP protecting the safety of the PM, and foreign heads of state. That is their job. The Canadian Army has no law enforcement authority on Canadian soil, the US Army doubly so.
What right does the US Army have, even opening it's pie hole with respect to Canadian Citizens and our right to freely associate in this country?

Toro Toro:
I might take this a bit more seriously if that author didn't keep using the word "proto-fascist."

Define 'facism'. How about, 'When Corporations have more influence over government than citizens do'. Now, tell me how the SPP will help citizens. Yep. Corporate interests over Citizens. Facism, by definition.

ziggy ziggy:
Toro Toro:
I might take this a bit more seriously if that author didn't keep using the word "proto-fascist."
And vive wasnt so anti American. :roll:

Funny, this article is in both places. Did you mean 'If Vive and CKA weren't so anti-american'? Or does criticizing the actions of the Canadian and US Governments mean to be 'anti-american'?

Sorry Caleb. Military Police in the Canadian Forces have powers of Peace Officer (as defined by the Criminal Code) on DND property and those powers do extend to the Province they are serving for Provincial statutes. That includes civilians on DND property.

Quote:

After the October Crisis of 1970, Regular Military Police were appointed Peace Officers under the provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada. In 1985, MP status and powers were updated and clarified. The back of the current Military Police Identification Card (above) outlines the special powers granted MPs. In Canada, MPs are responsible for the enforcement of military regulations, including the National Defence Act, Code Of Service Discipline, and Defence Establishment Tresspass Regulations as well as the Criminal Code of Canada and the various Traffic Acts and Provincial Offences Acts of the Province in which they are stationed. Military Police may lay charges in civilian courts.

Reserve Military Police, while not Peace Officers as such, carry out very similar duties and are often integrated into Regular MP platoons for both training and operations.

http://www.mpmuseum.org/security.html

Scape @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:44 pm

The purpose of the military is to defend society, not to define it. Now in a state of emergency, domestic unrest or a natural disasters sure MPs would be granted temporary status off garrison but even then they would defer to civilian authority. They simply do not have the authority to arrest only detain until the civilian counterpart relieves them as they are stewards. No democratic system exists with an absolute separation of powers or an absolute lack of separation of powers but to argue that the MPs can have authority over civilians is arguing for a police state. No civilian MP will or should support that as it would be tantamount to political suicide.

Wada @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Well, you guys can argue about security protocal 'til the cows come home.

From a completely moral point of view I cannot understand our Canadian government allowing this Mr. Bush to step unto Canadian soil in the first place, now or ever and if our Mr. Harper sees fit to let this piece of human garbage into our country then I for one am glad to have the security to keep him contained within a very small part of it and I hope that religious types are allowed on the site following his departure to perform cleansing rites and such. No need to foul our envirment just because Mr. Harper says so. :D

sasquatch2 @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:29 pm

Scape

$1:
Now in a state of emergency, domestic unrest or a natural disasters sure MPs would be granted temporary status off garrison but even then they would defer to civilian authority. They simply do not have the authority to arrest only detain until the civilian counterpart relieves them as they are stewards.

Yeah but doncha know reality is a real bitch!

Military Police reserve units exist and because of the problem of defining their authority compared to regular force MPs, the powers that be have conferred upon the reserve MPs the identical authority of regular forces MPs.

This is because like Civilian Police these guys are graduates of the Police Sciences courses the same as civilian police. They are however more capable in hand to hand so don't even consider taking a swing at one of these guys......they are usually Bruce Lee's little bro'.

This authority has limits....50 km from a Canadian military base or operation. If you get stopped by a guy with a red berret....better call him "sir"....the Civilian Police do because he outranks them.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: [bash]

assmuncheravro @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:46 pm

Post deleted by Mod

Wullu @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 pm

Don't bother banning it mods. Just ignore it. That hurts more.

EyeBrock @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Scape Scape:
The purpose of the military is to defend society, not to define it. Now in a state of emergency, domestic unrest or a natural disasters sure MPs would be granted temporary status off garrison but even then they would defer to civilian authority. They simply do not have the authority to arrest only detain until the civilian counterpart relieves them as they are stewards. No democratic system exists with an absolute separation of powers or an absolute lack of separation of powers but to argue that the MPs can have authority over civilians is arguing for a police state. No civilian MP will or should support that as it would be tantamount to political suicide.

Agreed on the Militaries purpose. I was just being finicky 'cos I'm a bit of a knob
Canadian Military Police can arrest civilians in Canada. Despite what we all think. If you drive drunk on DND property, (as many bases still have open access with civilian roads transiting through), and you are caught, the MP's can and will arrest, breathalise you and detain you if needed or release with a court date at the local courthouse. No civilian police involvement. That's the facts!

SprCForr @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Members of the military other than MP's can be given law enforcement powers as directed by the Province in an aid-to-civil power context.

During the Red River flood in '97 my Troop was given those powers to protect the citizens and property within my AOR (which except for two towns and some farms was pretty much under water). We never had to use them.

Scape @ Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:38 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Agreed on the Militaries purpose. I was just being finicky 'cos I'm a bit of a knob

I thought it was good conversation, DO carry on!

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Canadian Military Police can arrest civilians in Canada. Despite what we all think. If you drive drunk on DND property, (as many bases still have open access with civilian roads transiting through), and you are caught, the MP's can and will arrest, breathalise you and detain you if needed or release with a court date at the local courthouse. No civilian police involvement. That's the facts!

The caveat to that being fairly obvious here and that is on DND land. Had that happened outside DND lands then when it finally arrives in civilian court the charges would be duly thrown out of court and rightly so. Their authority stems only from the civilian charge. IE an officer of the law can go on DND land and make an arrest but an MP can't go on civilian land and do the same. MP's are there to mind the troops and the troops are to protect the way of life of all Canadians but they were never intended to be the primary definition of what it is to be Canadian. As the civilian police must answer to a court law they are kept in check. The MP's must answer to the Queens Regulations and Orders and they are kept in check but the QR&O was with intent to those in the service of the Queen. You can't charge a civilian for urinating on a public war memorial with a 129 and in the same vein you can't have the army telling civilians where and when they can have an organized protest unless your arguing for a police state.

RUEZ @ Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 am

avro8 avro8:
Wullu Wullu:
Don't bother banning it mods. Just ignore it. That hurts more.

Awe gee thanks Wullu for wanting me back. :wink:
:lol:

DrCaleb @ Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ziggy ziggy:
Now everyones agenda is showing.Why no uproar against the RCMP? Or is it just more convenient to blame the Yanks?

Hehe. No, you have it all wrong. I can see the RCMP protecting the safety of the PM, and foreign heads of state. That is their job. The Canadian Army has no law enforcement authority on Canadian soil, the US Army doubly so.
What right does the US Army have, even opening it's pie hole with respect to Canadian Citizens and our right to freely associate in this country?

Toro Toro:

Define 'facism'. How about, 'When Corporations have more influence over government than citizens do'. Now, tell me how the SPP will help citizens. Yep. Corporate interests over Citizens. Facism, by definition.

ziggy ziggy:
Toro Toro:
And vive wasnt so anti American. :roll:

Funny, this article is in both places. Did you mean 'If Vive and CKA weren't so anti-american'? Or does criticizing the actions of the Canadian and US Governments mean to be 'anti-american'?

Sorry Caleb. Military Police in the Canadian Forces have powers of Peace Officer (as defined by the Criminal Code) on DND property and those powers do extend to the Province they are serving for Provincial statutes. That includes civilians on DND property.

Quote:

After the October Crisis of 1970, Regular Military Police were appointed Peace Officers under the provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada. In 1985, MP status and powers were updated and clarified. The back of the current Military Police Identification Card (above) outlines the special powers granted MPs. In Canada, MPs are responsible for the enforcement of military regulations, including the National Defence Act, Code Of Service Discipline, and Defence Establishment Tresspass Regulations as well as the Criminal Code of Canada and the various Traffic Acts and Provincial Offences Acts of the Province in which they are stationed. Military Police may lay charges in civilian courts.

Reserve Military Police, while not Peace Officers as such, carry out very similar duties and are often integrated into Regular MP platoons for both training and operations.

http://www.mpmuseum.org/security.html

So, I was mostly correct. The US Army still has no jurisdiction in the town of Montebello, Quebec.

Scape Scape:
[
The caveat to that being fairly obvious here and that is on DND land. Had that happened outside DND lands then when it finally arrives in civilian court the charges would be duly thrown out of court and rightly so. Their authority stems only from the civilian charge. IE an officer of the law can go on DND land and make an arrest but an MP can't go on civilian land and do the same. MP's are there to mind the troops and the troops are to protect the way of life of all Canadians but they were never intended to be the primary definition of what it is to be Canadian. As the civilian police must answer to a court law they are kept in check. The MP's must answer to the Queens Regulations and Orders and they are kept in check but the QR&O was with intent to those in the service of the Queen. You can't charge a civilian for urinating on a public war memorial with a 129 and in the same vein you can't have the army telling civilians where and when they can have an organized protest unless your arguing for a police state.

^^ What he said. R=UP

We're all missing the big picture here. Carving up Canada, the US and Mexico, so more manufacturing can be sent out of North America and our standards of living can further be lowered.

Big Business is trumping the needs of citizens. I've got my torch and pitchfork, and some of the rest of the peasants are starting to see what's going on.

sasquatch2 @ Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 pm

$1:
IE an officer of the law can go on DND land and make an arrest but an MP can't go on civilian land and do the same.

Tell that to the guy wearing the red berret when he arrests you and you will also be charged with resisting arrest......after you fall down a lot.LOL.

:roll: :lol:

Scape @ Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 am

If an MP detained anyone in such a manner it would be unlawful. If the suspect was a civilian not in the service of the crown the only thing that MP has the authority to discharge off garrison without the war measures act being declared is a citizen's arrest. If he were to take him on base and detain him to face justice in a military court it would get that MP court marshaled and a possible dishonorable discharge. The plaintiff in turn would walk free as the civil authorities would be unable to prosecute because of double jeopardy. It must be an indictable offense not a simple misdemeanor or it will end up being thrown out and the MP could then be held liable and sued in civil court and or up on charges for criminal liability as excessive force may also result in criminal charges.

In addition as they are executing an arrest in the jurisdiction of a civil authority they too can hold the MP on charges for impersonating an officer as they are in effect executing vigilante justice without a valid warrant.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next