Canada Kicks Ass
Why do Canadians think the US threatens their independence?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next

Public_Domain @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 pm

dog77_1999 dog77_1999:
America has basically become the globalized culture. As everyone becomes more interconnected, it seems that America is taking over, it's not. It's just that being the first to globalized means you have more influence to at the beginning.

No one wants America's pathetic "Globalized" culture.

It's not "Globalized"... It's "American". If it was "Globalized", it wouldn't be destroying nations! It would be embracing them!

"Globalization" should be "Multi-Cultural", not "American and only American!"

No one wants American!

I want Canadian and nothing else.

rhesusman @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 pm

denmns denmns:
People may feel this way because of the Conservatives and their wanting to almost "copy" policies they have.

denmns denmns:
This also includes a study done years ago about getting rid of our dollar, and using the American greenback.

denmns denmns:
They push their ideas in their TV shows and commercials as if they are the "right" way to do things.

All this seems to be more evidence of interest in some sectors of Canadian government and society in certain aspects of American politics and culture, not of American intent to deliberately undermine Canadian nationhood.

Streaker Streaker:
Two words: Northwest Passage.

You'll have to explain to me what this means. All I know about the Northwest Passage is that European explorers were looking for it in the 1600s.

Thanos @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 pm

$1:
Given all this, where do some Canadians come away with the idea that the US is somehow a threat to Canadian sovereignty? It doesn't seem to be rooted in anything Americans are actually saying or doing. Is such talk really serious? Listening to people like this, http://www.canadians.org/about/BOD/visi ... round.html, you'd think that tanks were ready to roll across the border!

1) Paranoia is a widespread condition afflicting large numbers of humans. Despite a near-pathological aura of self-righteousness that certain Canadians emanate we on the north side of the border are no more immune from collective mental illnesses than is any other group on the planet.

2) I'd dispute that most Canadians are left-wingers. It's indisputable, however, that the majority of our mass media is thoroughly left-wing and unfortunately this media is unfairly and incorrectly allowed to trumpet itself as the sole voice of all Canadians. The main characteristic of left-wing media, even the major media outlets in the US itself, is and always has been a visceral hate for the United States. So it really can't be much of a surprise that Canada comes across as being collectively anti-American even though in reality nothing could be further from the truth.

3) A lot of anti-US nonsense will stop after your next election, when Barack Obama will most likely become President. While a great deal of the historic anti-US claptrap will continue, as it is too deeply embedded into the media culture specifically and will always generally remain as the core characteristic in what passes for contemporary left-wing philosophy, the more pointed anti-Bush hysteria will come to an end once he is no longer their to provide the focal point for leftist over-reaction. The fact that Americans are most likely going to replace a confirmed moron with a President that actually appears to enjoy using most of his grey matter will also certainly dull a lot of the sharper edges that grew like a stinky fungus on Canadian anti-Americanism since 2003, and the worst of the ranting will once again be confined merely to the echo chambers of the irredeemable haters.

rhesusman @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Thanos Thanos:
3) A lot of anti-US nonsense will stop after your next election, when Barack Obama will most likely become President. While a great deal of the historic anti-US claptrap will continue, as it is too deeply embedded into the media culture specifically and will always generally remain as the core characteristic in what passes for contemporary left-wing philosophy, the more pointed anti-Bush hysteria will come to an end once he is no longer their to provide the focal point for leftist over-reaction. The fact that Americans are most likely going to replace a confirmed moron with a President that actually appears to enjoy using most of his grey matter will also certainly dull a lot of the sharper edges that grew like a stinky fungus on Canadian anti-Americanism since 2003, and the worst of the ranting will once again be confined merely to the echo chambers of the irredeemable haters.

Interesting post. I find it incredibly annoying that the American right is presumed to speak for and be representative of our country as a whole.

Thanos @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:40 pm

rhesusman rhesusman:
Interesting post. I find it incredibly annoying that the American right is presumed to speak for and be representative of our country as a whole.

It's exactly the same thing in Canada except with the hard leftists controlling the agenda. Use the Omar Khadr, a Canadian-born Al Qaeda terrorist, issue as evidence. The vast majority of Canadians don't want him to be released from Gitmo and allowed back into Canada. But the leftist media makes it seem like our entire justice system has fallen apart because the Prime Minister has made no special efforts to secure his release from American imprisonment.

"How To Understand The Media" should have been a required course in both the US and Canada for anyone who wanted to graduate from high school. It can't hurt anyone to make them more able to defend themselves against manipulative ideologues and their incessant lying.

rhesusman @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Thanos Thanos:
rhesusman rhesusman:

It's exactly the same thing in Canada except with the hard leftists controlling the agenda. Use the Omar Khadr, a Canadian-born Al Qaeda terrorist, issue as evidence. The vast majority of Canadians don't want him to be released from Gitmo and allowed back into Canada. But the leftist media makes it seem like our entire justice system has fallen apart because the Prime Minister has made no special efforts to secure his release from American imprisonment.

"How To Understand The Media" should have been a required course in both the US and Canada for anyone who wanted to graduate from high school. It can't hurt anyone to make them more able to defend themselves against manipulative ideologues and their incessant lying.

That's interesting. Listening to the media here, you would think that Canada was clamoring for us to let him out and go back to Canada.

Streaker @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:45 pm

The idea that the media in Canada is left-biased is nonsensical and speaks to some peoples' raving paranoia.

Thanos @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 pm

The previous meme that was implanted into this thread that most Canadians are leftists speaks to some peoples' delusional desires to see the numbers of their ideological partners as being greater than they actually are.

Zipperfish @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm not sure it's an American takeover most people fear, but American influence. And there's nothing, really, America can do about that because it influences by its mere existence as a superpower. Also, the fear derives from the fact that if the US were for some reason to shut its borders to Canada--not invade, mind you, just shut its borders--then Canada would be a third-world country in weeks. That is to say: the US can exist without us, but we can't exist without them. It's the insecurity of being essentially a satellite state, trapped and shaped in the massive gravitational force that is America.

Now I do admit to being genuinely concerned for the welfare of my family when the neo-conservatives got into power. Here was a group--mostly made of people who had never been to war--intent on American global domination and crushing any who stood in there path (but benign domination, they insisted). They had little in the wauy of foreign policy ideas outside of force. They brought back torture, arbitrary detention. Thye had little respect for individual rights and freedoms of Americans, and none for those who weren't American (e.g. Maher Arar). They reserved the right to do what they wanted, when they wanted by dint of sheer power. They would call the shots and they would be answerable to no one.

Canada, as a relatively advanced but weak nation, relied on multi-lateral institutions to be effective. Clearly the neo-conservative unilateal agenda was inimical to Canada's interests. I think the neo-conservatives have been discredited thanks to the debacle that was Iraq (though I do note some of them raising their heads from the slime in the Russia-Georgia crisis). I think McCain or Obama will be a damn sight better than the neo-cons for Canada.

Gunnair @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
The US did invade us once and attempt to conquer Canada in 1812. However, we gave them an ASS-WHOMPIN' they won't soon forget. Well, actually they did forget it. It usually only manges a couple of lines in American history books. Still, je me souviens.

Mind, cross again, and that ASS-WHOMPIN' is always waiting!

Nothing worse than a senseless beating with a curling broom!

Zipperfish @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
The US did invade us once and attempt to conquer Canada in 1812. However, we gave them an ASS-WHOMPIN' they won't soon forget. Well, actually they did forget it. It usually only manges a couple of lines in American history books. Still, je me souviens.

I got my curling broom behind my headboard just waiting for the first Kentucky interloper!

commanderkai @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm

rhesusman rhesusman:

Streaker Streaker:
Two words: Northwest Passage.

You'll have to explain to me what this means. All I know about the Northwest Passage is that European explorers were looking for it in the 1600s.

Well, it does exist. Using the Arctic and the North West Passage, shown here:

Can and quite possibly be used more and more if the ice melts more, like it has in the past few recent years. If this happens, cargo ships from London to...let's say Los Angeles, or Vancouver, would be cut by like a third, since they do not need to traverse all the way down to Panama to get into the Pacific Ocean.

Now, what Streaker mentioned is that Canada claims the North West passage as its own waters, while the United States says its an International shipping lane, and thus, its a global passage. What Streaker left out is that NOBODY but Canada recognizes the North West Passage as Canadian waters. Not the Russians, not the Brits, not the French, not the Chinese, nobody. As least nobody that I can remember. So yes it is a sovereignty issue, but no its not a uniquely American issue.

Gunnair @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
dog77_1999 dog77_1999:
America has basically become the globalized culture. As everyone becomes more interconnected, it seems that America is taking over, it's not. It's just that being the first to globalized means you have more influence to at the beginning.

No one wants America's pathetic "Globalized" culture.

It's not "Globalized"... It's "American". If it was "Globalized", it wouldn't be destroying nations! It would be embracing them!

"Globalization" should be "Multi-Cultural", not "American and only American!"

No one wants American!

I want Canadian and nothing else.

Where was your IPod made?

Gunnair @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I got my curling broom behind my headboard just waiting for the first Kentucky interloper!

Oh aye, and I'd like to see an Abrams stand up to a broomball team and a couple of 2-4s of Lucky! PDT_Armataz_01_40

Bacardi4206 @ Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Let me just make this perfectly clear, Canadians are not Americans. Every almost every way. Sure we drink the same coffee, sometimes. We both drink beer, we both live in cities that look the same. We both file tax's, etc.

But Canadian views and Americans views are completly different, where Canadians praise high tax's because it benefits them off a universal health care system that they don't got to worry about being sick or hurt because they know they can get good health care for almost no money paid. All of it is covered by tax's.

Americans are completly different on that, they want to pay as little tax's as they can. Which gives them some more cash in there pockets to buy a new car, or afford some luxaries. However once they get sick, anybody without a lot of money saved is royally screwed unless they spent some of there saving on top notch insurance. Even with Insurance, they still got to pay a lot.

Canada's military views are different then America's, while Canada likes to keep a small army that doesn't require too much tax's payers money, which is mainly used for peace keeping operations. America is entirely different on that, America devotes a large percentage of there tax's to there military, infact leaving almost nothing to public facilities and communities. Like the re-construction of roads, stuff like that.

America's military is more of a brute force, then a reasonable one. It's always war after war, while Canada sits on the sidelines and observes unless it felt obligated to get involved.

If you do your research on it, the different in views between Americans and Canadians is almost endless, so the thought of a possible merge means the adoption of American views and values. Meaning goodbye universal health care system, that many Canadians love, and benefit off of. Good bye the rest of the Canadians views and values and you ask why Canadians feel threatened? That's almost a no brainer.

Canada has worked hard for its independance, in WW1 Canadian Troops was the most feared by the Germans. They called us 'Shock Troopers'. Whenever the allied forces wanted a tough job done, they always called in the Canadian Core. Go research history, or talk to any World War Historian and they'll tell you that. During WW2 Canada brought that toughness, bravery, and fighting power with them. They did the same thing in WW2 as they did in WW1. They faught battles that other armies, failed to capture. Where they failed, the Canadian Core succeeded. At whatever cost.

Due to all this bravery, and raw fighting power. We were rewarded with our Independance where we can be a soviern country.

Now, the fact that so much effort and deaths and bravery went into Canada's start. The fact of a merge is a pure slap to our faces, and our history. What's even more of a slap in the face is the fact America doesn't even care about our soviernty even though Canadians helped gain America's. Yes Canadians faught for both sides, many faught for the British and many went over to America to fight for the Americans for there independance.

Today we provide America with a lot of power, that powers there houses or whatever they need powering. Well give them a lot of our natural resources, and we give money, asternauts and tech to NASA where the credit for is always being stolen from Canadians hands and given to Americans. Its never addressed as a joint accomplishment, its always addressed as a American one. America and Americans obviously don't care about Canada, despite what we do for you. The fact of a merge is a tripple slap in the face.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next