Canada Kicks Ass
Help Fund a New CKA Database Server

1  2  Next

Canadaka @ Tue May 08, 2012 4:54 pm

I need a new database server, the current old server is not able to handle the load efficiently. Currently websites hosted on CKA Networks are powered by 2 rack servers, the main web server is a fairly new Dell server, but the dedicated database server is an older machine which often reaches 100% CPU usage and the harddisks can't keep up with all the database queries.

The extra capacity isn't directly needed for Canadaka.net but many of the websites I host are resource intensive like Politwitter.ca or the many Drupal sites like wasted talent, Trailforks, dirtbiker and others. The old server is causing slowdowns and downtime for all sites. So I'm asking for donations from all of these sites not just CKA. But having the faster database server will help the CKA forum load times and more importantly the short outages that have been happening.

So I plan on buying a new Dell poweredge server with 16GB of RAM and then adding an SSD drive to the server. This server will run MySQL databases for all of these sites.

You can help by donating any amount here http://www.trevormay.ca/donate/server.php

if you donate over $15 it will count towards a CKA Gold membership here on the forums.

Unsound @ Tue May 08, 2012 7:39 pm

I may not be the fisrt to contribute, but I am the first to brag about it. :)

It's not much but I hope it helps.

Canadaka @ Mon May 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Only $120 short of the funding goal for new server hardware!
I plan on purchasing a new server and a bunch of SSD drives in the next 2 weeks.

Zipperfish @ Mon May 28, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm in.

Canadaka @ Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 pm

New database server arrived! Might be another week or 2 before its live. I have to setup and do testing

You can still donate http://www.trevormay.ca/donate/

The server is a Dell Poweredge 1950 with these specs:

2 x Intel XEON Quad Core X5460 3.16Ghz
16GB ECC Ram
2 x 10k SAS Drives
Intel SSD
Dell iDrac5
Windows Web Server 2008 R2 64bit

bootlegga @ Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Donation sent!

BartSimpson @ Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:52 pm

Sorry I missed this! $50 sent.

(Of course, in CDN$ that's $3.26!) :lol:

Lemmy @ Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:53 pm

You'll be sending in another $100 when Obama's re-elected. :D

Canadaka @ Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:09 pm

The new server probably won't be in-place until next week, I'm having to help my parents move on Van Island this week.

I've spent the last 3 days setting up the server, its turning out to be a lot of work. I decided to swap the roles of the servers since this new server is faster than my "good" server. I concluded that the more powerful CPU's would be better for the web server rather than the database. So I have to re-setup and migrate all settings and assets from one server to another.

New servers CPU Passmark score is: 10,000
Current web server CPU Passmark is: 3,000
Old database server being replaced score: 700

Also taking the time to do a full audit off the server setup and all the sites. Along with upgrading to the newest PHP and MySQL. Unfortunatly Canadaka.net doens't work with PHP 5.3+ due to some legacy code I need to rewrite. But upgrading MySQL from 5.1 to 5.5 should offer some performance boost on its own.

So with the new server and some tweaking of the setup the site & forums should be much faster soon.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
You'll be sending in another $100 when Obama's re-elected. :D

*If*

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps ... 92&bih=620

Proculation @ Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 pm

SSDs with a big Mysql database really makes the difference. You should buy 4 and make a RAID 10 to host the database files. That will kick ass ;-)

Canadaka @ Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

sorry for the downtime this evening, I finally installed the new server and have been having a series of problems. I'm now bringing each site online one by one, but there might be problems, if you notice something let me know!

Once I get everything running I will do some further tweaking with the new hardware. The site is running off a new server now, but the SSD for the database isn't working, I need to go back to the datacentre and fix it.

Regina @ Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 am

Seems to be running consistently quicker for me.

Canadaka @ Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:13 pm

It should be quicker once I get everything setup. But the main thing is to not have the downtime and slowdowns like the site has been having for months.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:14 am

Loaded really fast for me today and I am in Sacramento.

1  2  Next