Canada Kicks Ass
Should I remove negative votes on news stories?

1  2  Next

Canadaka @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 pm

I have been thinking about removing negative voting on the CKA news links. The main reason I added negative voting was to allow junk or spam links to be removed by the community. As it happens over the 3 years the current news system ahs been running, there has been very little problems with spam news postings. And if there is its usualy a news moderator that removes it before it would get enough negative votes to drop off.

As the news formula is right now, very few news stories get "dropped". So why not just ditch negative noting. Other that or make it easier for news to be dropped, but the problem with that is almost all negative novtes seem to be done in a partisan way.

A lot of "social" community based news sites like Digg.com don't have negative voting.

DerbyX @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Why not eliminate voting altogether? So far the voting seems to be entirely partisan (and the apparent occupation of whomever zled the non existent user is).

Let Hyack remove all opinion and blog pieces even if they say "opinion" so that only true factual news reports get posted. We might also institute a limit per day posting, say no more then 2 or 3. Anymore then the limit and it gets toasted.

RUEZ @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Is there a problem with the voting system?

QBC @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Get rid of the voting system period. The system was abused in many ways. Nuke it and all those problems go away.

RUEZ @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Why not get rid of negative reps then as well. People have been asking for that for far longer. That has been abused quite extensively.

wildrosegirl @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:

Not for most folks around here. Just a few pansies had issues with it. You know how it is on Sesame Street. :lol:

RUEZ @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Not for most folks around here. Just a few pansies had issues with it. You know how it is on Sesame Street. :lol:

I guess. As a person who has voted down stories and has had stories voted down, I see no problem with the status quo. People need to take the internet less seriously.

Scape @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

I don't use the vote system. I reply to a thread once it is in the forums but otherwise, unless it is on the twitter stream I rarely read them. For me the system had become hyper partisan and as a result I stopped posting news links outright quite some time ago and only post directly to the forums and tuned right out.

I think the whole news posting is a fundamental part of this site but is inherently toxic by nature and with the current set up only aggressive modding with clearly defined regulations would keep it under raps. That is too labour intensive so I vote we remove the neg vote and have a rep system similar to the rep system we have now for members where the registered users of the site only can vote and the longer they have been here and the more active they are the more value their vote is.

QBC @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Why not get rid of negative reps then as well. People have been asking for that for far longer. That has been abused quite extensively.

Why not get rid of all rep points then?...they have been abused by both negative and positive means

QBC @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Nope...nuke news voting and rating by hits, nuke the rep points. That would take care of all the BS from both sides who abused it.

wildrosegirl @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:55 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
RUEZ RUEZ:

I guess. As a person who has voted down stories and has had stories voted down, I see no problem with the status quo. People need to take the internet less seriously.

[BB]

You hit the nail on the head.

RUEZ @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm

QBC QBC:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Why not get rid of all rep points then?...they have been abused by both negative and positive means

Sure, let's do that. It'll help the people that take these things so seriously.

wildrosegirl @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm

QBC QBC:
Nope...nuke news voting and rating by hits, nuke the rep points. That would take care of all the BS from both sides who abused it.

And bitched/whined about it.

QBC @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
QBC QBC:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Sure, let's do that. It'll help the people that take these things so seriously.

Many years on a couch having someone listen to their sob stories wouldn't help those people......

Chumley @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:59 pm

sure, if it's just taking up room and not really useful, toss it.

1  2  Next