Canada Kicks Ass
canadian english

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Wheats @ Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:00 pm

In retail the word "lunch" seems to also be used for any time of day. If you're working a late shift, your lunch could be at 5pm, but we still call it lunch.

ABSOLUT_SS @ Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:01 pm

...nobody thinks they have an accent, 'till they take a visit somewhere else, and then think everbody else has one, GET IT?
The "aboot" thing is a bit of a joke, but that's what you sound like to Americans, most of 'em. I thought I spoke standard English when I moved down there, not too far down, I might add. After a while, like it or not, you pick up a regional accent. As they say in QC, c'est la vie,...

ABSOLUT_SS @ Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:22 pm

Hey WHEATS, about that fine avatar...watched "car and driver "or "horsepower tv" a couple of weeks ago & saw a fine chunk of steel called the "Cadillac Sixteen"! A concept car put out by GM to make fuckers like me drool big time. Apparently there was once a Cadillac model, circa 1930's-'40s, called the "Cadillac Sixteen"! The concept car GM is parading around an auto show near you is a 1000 horsepower 'MOFO, with 16 CYLINDERS, not valves. This thing is tits! Fuck the zippy imports, I'll take it!!! Saw this thing @ the Detroit auto show at the Ren Center in downtown Detroit, and damn near died!!! I even touched it when the model/karate/security bitch with the fake boobs wasn't looking. Check it out on "google", if ya like Caddy's ya gotta love this fucking Freak of-a-car!!! Can't buy 'em though, yet...

Wheats @ Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:20 pm

That's unreal. Love it. Lookat the dude in the striped shirt, you wish buddy...

ABSOLUT_SS @ Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:01 pm

...LMF-you-know-how-to-hurt-a-guy's ass off!!! WHAT AN ANSWER, WHEATS!!! 'Dat be the car!!! What can I say? Cadillac is back? 350-Z my ass, gimme Detroit Iron!!! Take a bow, dude,... nice post!!!

blubs @ Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:34 pm

whoa how did my car end up there been looking for it. damn nice wheels .but personally give my a 72 road runner with a 44 six pack

blubs @ Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:35 pm

uh meant 440 six pack cant type

trackratte @ Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:51 pm

defence-defense yet its defensive in can. eng.
colour-color
organise-organize
metre, litre-meter, liter
offence-offense yet offensive in can. eng.

so basically, our instead of or, re instead of er many times, and a lot of words teh yanks threw in zed's to replace the S's. o ZED-ZEE

leftenant (pronounced)- lewtenant altho they're spelt the same
half staff- half mast

thats all i can think of off-hand.

Rev_Blair @ Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:19 pm

That's really English vs. American.

It gets really confusing when you are writing something for a US mag and something for a Canadian mag at the same time and have to flip back and forth. :?

ABSOLUT_SS @ Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:33 pm

You forgot my personal favorite, trackratte, "zee" versus "zed". Anybody see a "zed zed top" concert lately?

Canadian_Psycho @ Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:01 pm

i remember watching some program on TV and they were talking about the fur trade in Canada. when natives worked in fur trading posts in Canada, they would always say "eh" to Americans or who ever would came to buy some pelts. and they said that "eh" was what the natives used instead of saying "yes". so after a while, people started recognizing "eh" as something Canadians would say.

i could be completely wrong, but i remember hearing that not to long ago.

Canuk_Chick @ Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:28 am

yeah..I've been told I say eh too much and I certainly do say aboot.
I dont get it though...cause Im sitting here saying about (I sound really stupid..heh) and really...I dont see it. but I dunno

what a fine day eh??

blubs @ Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:22 pm

I say eh a lot also. But I never say aboot and I have never heard anyone say about as aboot. I can if one had a Scotish background. It kinda bothers me somewhat that Americans say we say aboot. Well anyways I am going to keep my one good ear open and turn up the volume on my earring aid in my bad ear maybe I can tell the difference then :)

trackratte @ Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:07 pm

hey ABSOLUT_SS, lol, it's spelt favourite not favorite. :D
I guess eaves trough instead of gutter.
And deke is a Canadian Colloquialism.
Never heard anyone say aboot either, unless they were immitating americans making fun of us...

Newfie Scott @ Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:47 am

To take a simple example of the re/er thing in Canada:

Centre = a building, organization, or venue (ie. The Corel Centre)
Center = the center of an object, geometrically for example (ie. the center of the circle is located at (x,y))

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next