Canada Kicks Ass
Does Ontario need a new flag?

1  2  3  Next

BeaverFever @ Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 am

$1:

Time to give Ontario the flag it deserves

As Ontario's flag turns 50, it's worth considering how we ended up with the current ensign and whether we should try again.

When Ontario's flag was brought in by a Progressive Conservative provincial government 50 years ago, its design was in large part a dig at the Liberal federal government of the time, writes Peter Price.
By: Peter Price Published on Tue May 19 2015

This week, Ontario’s provincial flag is turning 50 years old.

Not that anybody noticed.

It’s hard to look at the Ontario flag, a knock-off of the old Canadian Red Ensign, and see anything uniquely Ontarian worth making a flap about.

But that’s the point of the provincial flag. It was designed as a reactionary response to the new Canadian maple leaf flag that Lester Pearson’s Liberal government introduced to replace the old Red Ensign. When Ottawa brought in the new Canadian flag, with its bold colours and distinctive maple leaf, supporters of the old ensign turned to the provincial government to give it a renewed life. Ontario’s Conservative government led by John Robarts adopted the flag on May 21, 1965 to bring back what Ottawa had removed three months earlier: a flag with a clear British connection.

It was a “revenge flag,” according to one MPP at the time, more representative of the political differences between Ontario and the federal government than an inspired symbol of the province. Of course, given the frosty relationship between Kathleen Wynne’s Liberal government and Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, the idea of a provincial “revenge flag” may seem like a fitting emblem for Ontario. But beyond this political dynamic, what does the Ontario flag really represent?

Not much, as it turns out.

The flag of Ontario never received much attention. The province’s legislative assembly spent less than a day debating the flag, a stark contrast to the protracted debate that choked the parliamentary calendar in Ottawa over the previous two years. Newspapers across the province made little stir about adopting an official provincial standard. People were tired of talking about flags and the opposition parties at Queen’s Park knew it. Both the Liberals and New Democrats decided not to fight Robarts’ proposed flag, and they supported it, albeit “unenthusiastically.” To complicate matters further, Manitoba also adopted a modified Red Ensign for its provincial flag in the same month, leading to enduring confusion over the two nearly identical provincial flags.

According to Robarts, it made sense for a province that had a tradition of strong attachment to British crown and institutions — captured in its official motto, “loyal she began, loyal she remains” — to want to retain the old flag. To a number of government MPPs, it seemed like a suitable tribute to the province’s “Anglo-Saxon heritage.” Critics, however, suggested that the flag was a symbol of “ancestor worship” that would not hold up in the future of the province. For a province with a growing majority of people form non-British backgrounds, did it really make sense to prominently emblazon the Union Jack on Ontario’s flag? How would future generations see themselves in the flag?

Today, 50 years after the adoption of new flags for Canada and Ontario, much of the motivations behind their designs have been forgotten. Ontario’s flag was created in a moment of political retribution, meant to preserve an imperial connection that few Canadians today would place much importance in. It was created with no consultation, no committee hearings, no solicitation for designs, no public debate, and with considerable political apathy — hardly a laudable legacy for one of the most visible symbol of the province of Ontario.

The 50th anniversary of Ontario’s official flag gives pause to consider whether the hastily adopted British ensign still suits the province today. More than anything, the complacency about the flag and the largely unnoticed passing of its anniversary reflects the weakness of provincial identity and the dimness of its symbols.

Is it worth celebrating the anniversary of Ontario’s flag? Probably not, but it is certainly worth asking why not.

Peter Price teaches in the Department of History at Queen's University.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commenta ... erves.html

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 9:49 am

Sure, we can have a flag with the outline of a shuttered industrial building with a field of wind turbines behind it.

A proper reflection of the present government in power. :lol:

Lemmy @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:06 am

I thought you'd be pleased to see the unionized jobs disappear....filthy commies.

But yeah, "Hello" to clean energy and "Buh-bye" to dirty, shitty factory work does seem like a very nice image for the province.

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:10 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
I thought you'd be pleased to see the unionized jobs disappear....filthy commies.

But yeah, "Hello" to clean energy and "Buh-bye" to dirty, shitty factory work does seem like a very nice image for the province.

Once again you're completely wrong with what pleases me, but then again being wrong is what you're good at. :roll:

OnTheIce @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 am

A flag with a simple image of a black-hole that's saturated in the tears of the people would suffice.

Lemmy @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Once again you're completely wrong with what pleases me, but then again being wrong is what you're good at. :roll:

No, I know nothing pleases you. Such is the nature of haters.

Lemmy @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
A flag with a simple image of a black-hole that's saturated in the tears of the people would suffice.

:roll: You'd think you were living in Bangladesh, we have it so bad here.

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
No, I know nothing pleases you. Such is the nature of haters.

[laughat]

Lots of things please me and lots of things don't. Your reemergence on this forum is firmly in the "don't please me" bin.

Lemmy @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:15 am

Because of all the awful things I've done to you.

That emoticon you keep using is telling though...typical bully.

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:18 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Because of all the awful things I've done to you.

That emoticon you keep using is telling though...typical bully.

ROTFL

I wish you had your rep points on because that was the funniest post I've read in weeks on this site. PDT_Armataz_01_37

OnTheIce @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:44 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

:roll: You'd think you were living in Bangladesh, we have it so bad here.

This Province is a joke and year-by-year under Orville Redenbacher, things get worse. Our finances, our labour relations, our economy, our taxes, our energy prices, etc.

On the bright side, we're saving a ton of money with the teachers walking the line for the last 5 weeks in 3 boards. [B-o]

Lemmy @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:48 am

And yet, where is it better? Have you got the real estate sign on your lawn?

OnTheIce @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:51 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
And yet, where is it better? Have you got the real estate sign on your lawn?

Lots of other places in Canada with better leadership.

Unfortunately, I have to stay and eat it because of family and work commitments. I often wish I could take the entire family and move somewhere else.

Lemmy @ Fri May 22, 2015 10:53 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Lots of other places in Canada with better leadership.

Maybe. Lots with worse too.

OTI OTI:
Unfortunately, I have to stay and eat it because of family and work commitments. I often wish I could take the entire family and move somewhere else.

If it was half as bad as you make it out to be, you'd already be gone...and so would I. :wink:

OnTheIce @ Fri May 22, 2015 11:22 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
If it was half as bad as you make it out to be, you'd already be gone...and so would I. :wink:

So you think things in Ontario are good right now?

1  2  3  Next