Canada Kicks Ass
In Honour Of Our Flag's 50th Anniversary...

1  2  Next

JaredMilne @ Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:12 pm

We all consider the Canadian flag an indelible icon of our country, its heritage, and its history. However, what many people don't realize was just how controversial adopting the flag back in 1965 actually turned out to be.

Alistair B. Fraser describes the controversy over the Canadian flag in his book/website The Flags Of Canada, especially in this chapter, where he describes the disputes between supporters of the old British Red Ensign and the adoption of a new, uniquely Canadian flag.

This University of Saskatchewan website has a shorter version of the debate.

One of the most impressive things for me in the debate is the dozens and dozens of different flag designs that were submitted by Canadians for what could be our national flag. I won't repost any of them here so I don't risk violating any copyrights, but some of them are damn beautiful in my opinion, and I think they could have been excellent flags in their own right.

More than that, though, they make me damn proud to be Canadian. :rock:

Here's a link to a selection of the submitted flag designs on Flickr, courtesy of Library and Archives Canada.

Here's a compilation of many more of the submitted designs courtesy of the University of Saskatchewan.

Finally, here's a Huffington Post article on the subject, including links to over 143 designs.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:53 pm

So many awesome designs.....

flag.jpg
flag.jpg [ 8.7 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]

.....but one that fits us perfectly. We definitely got it right :rock: , and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Always a tremendous symbol of our great nation! :rock:

THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER!!!!!

-J.

Canadian_Mind @ Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
So many awesome designs.....

flag.jpg

.....but one that fits us perfectly. We definitely got it right :rock: , and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Always a tremendous symbol of our great nation! :rock:

THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER!!!!!

-J.

I gotta say, this is one place where I agree with your fanaticism. We're so damned lucky we went with this design, and its one we should be forever proud of.

Hyack @ Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Of all the flag designs submitted I think they got it right and the one most symbolic of "Canada" was selected!

Jabberwalker @ Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Hyack Hyack:
Of all the flag designs submitted I think they got it right and the one most symbolic of "Canada" was selected!

I think so too. I'm just old enough to remember snippets of the flag debate and my conservative families attitude towards it. Our flag is, among other things, impeccably good graphic art.

The red maple leaf has interesting connotations for those of us living in the Eastern part of the country. I remember having a group of business guests here one late October for a conference and golf. I was driving a guy around from Edmonton who, I don't know, had never been here before. We're roaring along and he sees a flaming red tree, about the colour of our flag and he went "WOAH!!! What IS that SPECIES?" We stopped and it was, of course, a sugar maple ... just like the one on our flag. Guess what folks, it really is flaming red for a time each year . This is a subtlety that a lot of us miss. It is a little less stylised than a lot of us may have known.

Jabberwalker @ Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 pm

I just went through some of the other submissions. This "also ran" is hilarious!

Regina @ Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:56 pm

I can remember being in Grade 1 and getting trotted out into the school yard to watch the new flag raising. I also remember it being cold and snowy.
Looking at the weather archives........it was cloudy and -20C 8O :lol:

Jabberwalker @ Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:24 am

We had an assembly in the gym. I guess that I was in Grade three. I also remember some giveaways ... printed bumpf and perhaps a pin (?)

Canadaka @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:06 am

Anyone see http://www.google.ca

Google-canadaflag50th.png
Google-canadaflag50th.png [ 79.42 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

Regina @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:09 am

Just now when I got online! :rock:

Strutz @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:49 am

I saw that last night. Very nicely done by the Google folks! :rock:

It was interesting to see some of the other submissions for our flag in those links. There were a few that were ok but most seemed far too "busy" to be on a flag.

bootlegga @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:22 am

When I look at those other designs, all I can say, is what were some people thinking? Stars on a flag for Canada? Seriously?

Thank goodness we got the flag we did - it's so different and striking from almost every other flag on the planet.

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
I remember having a group of business guests here one late October for a conference and golf. I was driving a guy around from Edmonton who, I don't know, had never been here before. We're roaring along and he sees a flaming red tree, about the colour of our flag and he went "WOAH!!! What IS that SPECIES?" We stopped and it was, of course, a sugar maple ... just like the one on our flag. Guess what folks, it really is flaming red for a time each year . This is a subtlety that a lot of us miss. It is a little less stylised than a lot of us may have known.

That's odd, he must never have been to the north end then.

97 Street bordering on the former CFB Griesbach (now a housing subdivision) is surrounded by maples (red, orange and yellow) and is a favourite spot for photos every fall here in Edmonton.

Unsound @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:24 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

97 Street bordering on the former CFB Griesbach (now a housing subdivision) is surrounded by maples (red, orange and yellow) and is a favourite spot for photos every fall here in Edmonton.

Lot of great family photos taken there!

North side represent!!!!

lol

andyt @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:45 am

Most of the time I just take the flag for granted. Then once in a while I flash on how beautiful it really is and what it says about us. Compare it to any other flag, and it looks so... clean and pure, I guess. Maybe the Swiss flag comes close. To me the flag talks about peace.

Jabberwalker @ Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
When I look at those other designs, all I can say, is what were some people thinking? Stars on a flag for Canada? Seriously?

Thank goodness we got the flag we did - it's so different and striking from almost every other flag on the planet.

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
I remember having a group of business guests here one late October for a conference and golf. I was driving a guy around from Edmonton who, I don't know, had never been here before. We're roaring along and he sees a flaming red tree, about the colour of our flag and he went "WOAH!!! What IS that SPECIES?" We stopped and it was, of course, a sugar maple ... just like the one on our flag. Guess what folks, it really is flaming red for a time each year . This is a subtlety that a lot of us miss. It is a little less stylised than a lot of us may have known.

He had me bring the car to a screeching halt.

I would be surprised if you have sugar maples in Edmonton. They were certainly introduced, if so and I'm very surprised that they've survived the Alberta climate. They are almost "Carolinian" and they stop abruptly at the southern rim of the Shield.

1  2  Next