Canada Kicks Ass
Canada-Mexico-USA Political Union: Why Not?

WhyNot? @ Tue May 24, 2005 2:28 pm

Since we are a great nation filled with great ideas, values and people, why are people on this website so vehemently against integration with our neighbours in Mexico and the United States?

Why aren't people more receptive to the idea that a political union between our three countries would help encourage the intercontinental travel of citizens - individuals would be free to roam the continent to bring different aspects of culture and information to others.

One continent, unlimited travel....new business opportunities....We'd be establishing a political power sphere that rivalled China and the EU.

Why not?

WhyNot? @ Tue May 24, 2005 2:34 pm

Unequal balance? We'd be one people with one government. Technology is forcing us to rethink how we are governed anyway.... One continent, one dollar, one government.

WhyNot? @ Tue May 24, 2005 2:40 pm

i think the opposition to integration with our three countries is an inherent hatred that some arrogant people here in Canada attempt to portray as the status quo.

Notice you didn't even consider Mexico? Shame on you! :roll:

Constantinople @ Tue May 24, 2005 2:41 pm

I'll tell you why no integration- look at the EU. It doesn't work. Let's all keep our national pride here in North America- we have three unique nations (sorry Central America) and it's good to keep it that way.

DrCaleb @ Tue May 24, 2005 2:48 pm

lily lily:
The only major "why not?" I can see is the uneven balance of power between the 3 parties.

Exactally. The one with the biggest stick gets the run of the playground. If nothing else, NAFTA should have taught us that much.

Ask yourself, do we really want to adopt the US's standards on torte law, or Mexico's standards on the environment?

CreamyGoodness @ Tue May 24, 2005 4:17 pm

Oh, god no. As an arab-looking individual I'd probably end up in some death camp in a few years. I can't even cross into Buffalo nowadays without a 2 hour ID check at the border processing facility.

Honestly, all political biases aside, the direction the u.s. is going in is downright menacing. They're in the midst of building a police state there that would make Aldous Huxley proud. We're compromised enough here in this country due to our proximity, but to actually become a part of the same political unit as them? I'll see you in Belize, folks.

And this from a conservative.

Tman1 @ Tue May 24, 2005 4:23 pm

WhyNot? WhyNot?:

Since we are a great nation filled with great ideas, values and people, why are people on this website so vehemently against integration with our neighbours in Mexico and the United States?

Why aren't people more receptive to the idea that a political union between our three countries would help encourage the intercontinental travel of citizens - individuals would be free to roam the continent to bring different aspects of culture and information to others.

One continent, unlimited travel....new business opportunities....We'd be establishing a political power sphere that rivalled China and the EU.

Why not?

$1:
Since we are a great nation filled with great ideas, values and people,

Lets keep it that way shall we

$1:

We do have unlimited travel..to a degree. How would integration change that? The only power sphere is the U.S rivalling China and the E.U. Canada and Mexicos not going to change anything, they will only add onto the U.S' power. Yah, new business opportunities just like NAFTA eh?

Canadaka @ Wed May 25, 2005 9:35 am

it has nothing to do with hatred of the US. We are very simular but we are also very different, specialy politicaly. It would be the end of Canada

$1:
Honestly, all political biases aside, the direction the u.s. is going in is downright menacing.

I agree.

Frankly i don't see the benefit.

I do think that one day in the future this will happen, but the way things are now, that time is a long way off.

MAPLELEAVES @ Wed May 25, 2005 12:54 pm

In the last several years our ability to maintain low interest rates (due to our fiscal prudence) has greatly benefited our economy.

US hegemony in any political or monetary union negate any of this advantage.

BartSimpson @ Wed May 25, 2005 3:15 pm

A funny thought occured to me:

Say this happens.

Then when the Mexicans demand that the Quebecers be bilingual in Spanish and the Quebecers demand that the Mexicans be biligual in French will the rest of us just crack open a beer, put our feet up, and watch the show? 8)

DrCaleb @ Wed May 25, 2005 4:59 pm

PeterFinn PeterFinn:
Then when the Mexicans demand that the Quebecers be bilingual in Spanish and the Quebecers demand that the Mexicans be biligual in French will the rest of us just crack open a beer, put our feet up, and watch the show? 8)

You sir, are evil. :twisted:

ROFLMAO.

BartSimpson @ Wed May 25, 2005 5:00 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PeterFinn PeterFinn:

You sir, are evil. :twisted:

ROFLMAO.

And now I know who'll I'll be sharing that beer with! [BB]

gideon @ Wed May 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
it has nothing to do with hatred of the US. We are very simular but we are also very different, specialy politicaly. It would be the end of Canada

Imagine the prosperity canada would see with a true free market economy.

No longer will your best and brightest individuals emigrate south of the border in order to be paid what they are worth.