Canada Kicks Ass
Canada Police Misconduct Reports

Previous  1 ... 16  17  18  19  20  21  22 ... 32  Next

Scape @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:40 pm

DrCaleb @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:07 pm

You have to wonder just how dangerous protesters are for the RCMP to turn up in paramilitary gear and loaded M1's.

And they wonder why we don't trust them to protect people, when they do this to protect corporations.

Thanos @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Yes. Because eco protests have never been violent. Never been any tree spiking. Never been any equipment sabotaged. Never been explosives planted. Never been any firearms being discharged in the dark. Never. Never has anything like that ever been done by the oppressed angels of the environmental movement.

Right. :roll:

DrCaleb @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:17 pm

I think you forget the purpose of the RCMP. I also think you are ignoring the damage they are protesting against. No one at Wet'su'et'en has done any of the things you refer to.

raydan @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:19 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
You have to wonder just how dangerous protesters are for the RCMP to turn up in paramilitary gear and loaded M1's.

And they wonder why we don't trust them to protect people, when they do this to protect corporations.

Me, I figure that if you can't deescalate this without police, guns and riot gear... you should probably admit defeat and stay home.

Scape @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:29 pm

David is hard on the BC NDP for not standing up for the protestors but what is missing here is the goal posts are so fluid with the protestors even when they get what they want they still protest. So, I am sympathetic to their cause, they need to know when to take the win and move on and not take the concessions as a sign of weakness and then demand even more. Pick your battles.

As a result of that they make the response to that all but inevitable. What else are they expecting at this point? Of course they are going to call up the police in numbers to nip this in the bud. There needs to be pushback on terrorism even soft terrorism that this is. No shots are fired but they are agitating for a confrontation. This is why journalists are getting screened out as there is no agreed definition of what a journalist is.

That's ugly and its a run on journalistic freedom but that's why you need trade unions to sort this out so not just anyone with an iphone can say they are a representative of the press.

Thanos @ Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:34 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I think you forget the purpose of the RCMP. I also think you are ignoring the damage they are protesting against. No one at Wet'su'et'en has done any of the things you refer to.

Before COVID broke out last year and the pipeline work was shut down it was reported that someone among the protesters had planted home-made explosives or rigged up some sort of molotov cocktail apparatus in the roadblocks. So there's that. And there's also Canadian superhero David Suzuki "not encouraging violence" *nudge-nudge wink-wink* the other day in the exact same manner that Donald Trump also didn't encourage violence on Jan 6.

And the Wetsueten band council, the official government of the band, has also given (on multiple occassions) permission for the work to proceed. And neither the Canadian government, the BC government, or any of the courts have agreed or endorsed that some random elder can pipe up and order the work stopped or the workers chased off the land. That's something that exists only in the minds of the delusional Canadian far-left.

We spent all that time bitching about Rittenhouse and Trump and every other bit of nonsense that happened in the US. And here, all this time, there's the same sort of person on the Canadian left who firmly believes that only they are good, and that the punitive aspect of the law only applies to their opponents & enemies. Whatever. We're all just as fucked in the head in this stupid country as anyone in the United States is.

Fuck it. I'm done.

Scape @ Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:01 am

So many protests. I think I mixed up Fairy Creek with Wet’suwet’en.

The RCMP is still playing the same hand and so is the BC NDP. I should add that this is NOT doing any favors for Jagmeet Singh and his fence sitting on this. If he doesn't stand up and take a side on this soon his leadership may be in question.

DrCaleb @ Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:24 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Before COVID broke out last year and the pipeline work was shut down it was reported that someone among the protesters had planted home-made explosives or rigged up some sort of molotov cocktail apparatus in the roadblocks. So there's that.

Hearsay. I find no reports of this.

Thanos Thanos:
And there's also Canadian superhero David Suzuki "not encouraging violence" *nudge-nudge wink-wink* the other day in the exact same manner that Donald Trump also didn't encourage violence on Jan 6.

The exact report:

$1:
On Saturday, Suzuki suggested “there are going to be pipelines blowing up if our leaders don’t pay attention to what’s going on.” When asked by Postmedia to elaborate on that comment, Suzuki made it clear he wasn’t sanctioning or supporting the idea of people attacking pipelines — merely explaining where the heads of some environmental activists are these days.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/1 ... ack-suzuki

'Like in the gangster movies': Kenney says Suzuki is encouraging pipeline attacks

So you would rather believe Randy's deflection off himself to something David Suzuki didn't say, than Suzuki's actual words? Here's a question, when has David Suzuki ever been untruthful as Jason Kenney? Let's do a Maat test, and weight their souls against a feather.

Thanos Thanos:
And the Wetsueten band council, the official government of the band, has also given (on multiple occassions) permission for the work to proceed. And neither the Canadian government, the BC government, or any of the courts have agreed or endorsed that some random elder can pipe up and order the work stopped or the workers chased off the land. That's something that exists only in the minds of the delusional Canadian far-left.

Ah, no. The 'official' council is appointed by the Government, because they are individuals sympathetic to the Government. The Hereditary council are the the people who traditionally were the leaders, and are unsympathetic to the Government. Which is at the heart of this conflict. The 'official' council wants money, the Hereditary council wants undisturbed land for their grandchildren.

Thanos Thanos:
We spent all that time bitching about Rittenhouse and Trump and every other bit of nonsense that happened in the US. And here, all this time, there's the same sort of person on the Canadian left who firmly believes that only they are good, and that the punitive aspect of the law only applies to their opponents & enemies. Whatever. We're all just as fucked in the head in this stupid country as anyone in the United States is.

And there are the same greedy self serving opportunists on the right who only see the short term profit to be made from taking natural resources from the people who own them, and not compensating the owners properly for the goods. They would rather send in a paramilitary force, based on innuendo, to remove them from their own land so that a company can make profit. What form of government is that again? [huh]

In my world, someone can't build something on my land that I don't want. Sending in armed troops to do that against my will doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.

Thanos Thanos:
Fuck it. I'm done.

Put you feet up, get off Twitter, and we'll see you in a week when your blood pressure stabilizes. [B-o]

DrCaleb @ Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:11 am

Almost 1 year after Ontario police shot baby, father, watchdog agency gets FBI report, but offers no answers

Scape @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:05 pm

bootlegga @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:25 pm

Scape Scape:

Normally this guy is fairly objective, but that was a load of biased crap. He implies that the the RCMP are only doing this because their pension fund is an investor in this project, when the reality is not only did most of the Wet’suwet’en nation sign a deal for this pipeline, but so did the hereditary chiefs!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-pipeline

This now is just a never-ending protest by a handful of malcontents, and frankly I don't care if they like the project or not, but they signed a fair deal and need to live with it now.

I understand the climate change argument too, but is it better for Asia to continue to burn dirty coal or much cleaner natural gas? I think everyone here knows the answer to that, and it makes sense to increase natural gas use during the transition, instead of burning coal for three or four more decades.

Zipperfish @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:34 pm

It's tough for the pipeline company. The company made deals with all the Nations through which the line crosses, including the Wet’suwet’en Band Councils. That's what has been done in the past, however, as some Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs correctly pointed out, the Band Council has no power off reserve. Band Councils are creatures of the Indian Act and apply to reserve lands only.

So, if you are dealing with a Nation's traditional territories, you need to deal with the traditional government of the Nation. But that's not easy either, since Indigenous people weren't allowed to practice their forms of governance for well over a hundred years. In many cases, including the Wet'suwet'en, there isn't consensus on how traditional governance used to work. And of course, there's power plays and petty politics, like any political system.

Here, you've got the majority of hereditary chiefs, plus the Band Councils (which is not binding because it applies only to reserve, but still counts for something) who support the project and one or two hereditary chiefs that don't. That's an internal governance problem that the Wet'suwet'en Nation has left to Canada to deal with.

And if you let Canada deal with it, it's eventually going to end up with the RCMP going in and cracking heads, because that's what we've always done. What the fuck did people think the RCMP were going to do? Negotiate? Monitor? No. It's the RCMP. They are going to crack heads and the harder the better, as far as they're concerned. That's what they do. That is what they have always done to Indigenous people.

Stupid comment by Suzuki. I see in the news just now that he apologized for that comment, so good on him for that.

DrCaleb @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:36 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Scape Scape:

Normally this guy is fairly objective, but that was a load of biased crap. He implies that the the RCMP are only doing this because their pension fund is an investor in this project, when the reality is not only did most of the Wet’suwet’en nation sign a deal for this pipeline, but so did the hereditary chiefs!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-pipeline

This now is just a never-ending protest by a handful of malcontents, and frankly I don't care if they like the project or not, but they signed a fair deal and need to live with it now.

I understand the climate change argument too, but is it better for Asia to continue to burn dirty coal or much cleaner natural gas? I think everyone here knows the answer to that, and it makes sense to increase natural gas use during the transition, instead of burning coal for three or four more decades.

Your analysis is also missing some detail. From your article:

$1:
The relationship between Canada’s federal government and First Nations is still governed by legislation drawn up in the colonial era. But ambiguities within the Indian Act leave ample room for confusion over rights to land – and who speaks for the Indigenous people in the country.

$1:
Five of the six elected band councils in the Wet’suwet’en nation also support the pipeline – but Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs do not, and say the band leadership doesn’t have the authority to negotiate such agreements.

From another article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... phics.html

So the Government is only dealing with the elected chiefs, which they gave authority to under the Indian act. The Government has declared that they support the right for Aboriginal people to decide what is done on their land, even if that means 'no'. The Supreme Court also has ruled that First Nations must be consulted on things that affect their hereditary land.

And the kicker, from your article:

$1:
Tensions came to a head in recent months, after the company Coastal GasLink won a court injunction to continue construction of its multibillion-dollar project, a third of which would cross through Wet’suwet’en traditional territory.

The injunction stems from a civil suit filed by Coastal Gas, and directs the Wet’suwet’en to not interfere with the project until the civil suit is settled. But he suit was filed 3 years ago, and Coastal Gas has done nothing to move it through the courts.

So the RCMP are sent in full tactical gear, to enforce a CIVIL order for a corporation. Does that smell right to you? And under the UN Declaration of Human Rights, removing a native person from their ancestral land is a crime against humanity.

Something in this whole mess stinks.

More:
https://www.aptnnews.ca/topic/wetsuweten-conflict/

Scape @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:44 pm

His Ontario bias is showing no doubt. However, the RCMP being stakeholders is still a valid point but as to if it is impacting their operational objectives I would be doubtful. He is really laying into Horgan which seems a touch harsh considering he is undergoing cancer treatment and the province is under a state of emergency at the time. Still, the NDP silence should not be given a pass here.

The Fairy Creek protestors have really burned up a LOT of goodwill here in BC. That may well have an impact on the lens of this protest. It certainly has clouded my interpretation. This protest is more in line with Standing Rock that with Fairy Creek and the heavy handed tactics here are eerily similar.

Previous  1 ... 16  17  18  19  20  21  22 ... 32  Next