Canada Kicks Ass
2014 World Cup

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 13  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:42 am

Thanos Thanos:

pfffftt.....rank amateur. Billy Smith was a consummate on the ice.

Thanos @ Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am

I'd offer up the time when Ron Hextall poleaxed Kent Nilsson in the back of the leg. As opposed to every Latin soccer player that ever lived Nilsson wasn't faking the injury though.

xerxes @ Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Batsy2 @ Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:32 am

Aussies are doing well against Holland.

Australia are used to going into a World Cup as the favourites - or one of the favourites - to win it. Whether it is the Rugby Union World Cup, Rugby League World Cup or the Cricket World Cup, that strong sporting nation, which is often ranked No1 in the world for each of those three sports, is usually expected to win the thing - and it usually does.

The Football World Cup is different, however. The Aussies come into this World Cup as the lowest-ranked of all the 32 competing nations. They are in 62nd place in the FIFA rankings, just below the likes of Uzbekistan, Burkina Faso and Finland and just above Jordan and Libya. So there won't be many people who would have fancied Australia's chances against a Netherlands side (ranked 15th in the world) who put five past the reigning World and European Champions, Spain, last week, despite the fact that the Aussies have never lost to the Dutch.

Today could also be the first day in which we see a team eliminated from this World Cup. Whoever loses the Group A clash between Cameroon and Croatia - that is if it doesn't finish a draw, of course - will be out of the World Cup despite still having one game to play. So neither side dare lose that one.

The holders Spain (believe it or not) and Australia will also both be eliminated from the tournament today if they both lose.

xerxes @ Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I can't believe it. Spain, the defending champions, are the first team knocked out. But in the end I'm not too surprised. Casillas has been off his game for the last year and a half now for Real Madrid and now the WC. Also, it seems as though teams have figured out how to counter Spain's vaunted tiki-taka style, and that is attack it. Holland played a 3-4-3 formation and harried Spain all the way to a 5-1 thumping. Chile played the same way and got the same result.

Tim Cahill got the goal of the tournament so far in vain against Holland. And Croatia beat a hapless Cameroon 4-0.

Hyack @ Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Rooney ties it 1-1 for England at the 75 minute mark.....

Unsound @ Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

And England proves to be England, once again. :(

xerxes @ Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:36 pm

England's hopes of making it out of the group of death are now largely mathematical. Essentially, Italy has to beat Costa Rica and Uruguay and England have to beat Costa Rica by at least a 2 goal margin.

England were poor today though. Their finishing was their undoing as was their linkup play from midfield. Too much long ball, too little passing.

123zxc @ Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Uruguay and Costa Rica have already played....2-1 Costa Rica

Need to do some other Math....Thinks England is done for this year

Hyack @ Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:25 pm

xerxes xerxes:
England's hopes of making it out of the group of death are now largely mathematical. Essentially, Italy has to beat Costa Rica and Uruguay and England have to beat Costa Rica by at least a 2 goal margin.

England were poor today though. Their finishing was their undoing as was their linkup play from midfield. Too much long ball, too little passing.

Costa Rica defeated Uruguay 3-1

Both Italy and Uruguay defeated England 2-1

I don't think England is going anywhere from here.

xerxes @ Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Like i said its mathematically possible but unlikely in the extreme.

xerxes @ Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 pm

So much for math. England are officially out after Italy's shock loss to Costa Rica.

DanSC @ Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Nothing can stop CONCACAF*

*Aside from Honduras...what's your deal, Honduras?

xerxes @ Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Too busy playing dirty.

xerxes @ Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:51 pm

The Germany/Ghana match was one the best games of football I've seen in years. It was end to end and back again. And Messi's goal against Iran was a peach in a bit of a stinker of a game.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 13  Next