Canada Kicks Ass
Would like info on a clip art graphic I found on this site

JustKate @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 pm

I am interested in the graphic below to use in my logo for a business I'm building. I would appreciate information about this (He's so cute!). Much appreciated.

Kathy :)

JustKate @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Hello? Any answer on this? Does it cost to use it? I just don't want to get into copyright trouble. :mrgreen:

Canadaka @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

well CKA doesn't have copyright of that image, I have no idea who the creator is and if he/she cares if it is used commercially.... It would be very hard to find out who the creator is, these types of images float around the net. So if you do use it, there is a risk the author could see it and get mad and maybe take legal actions. If your business is small and local the risk would be pretty low.

JustKate @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:05 pm

Yikes, thanks. My business will (I hope) be across the country along with TV adds. Not sure what to do now.

Maybe I should just scrap this idea (using that in a logo I made). Canadaka, who built your logo's for this site?

JustKate @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:19 pm

I found the creator and just seconds ago received this email.

$1:
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your note. Unfortunately, my beaver logo is my official trade mark and is copyrighted. So, it can’t be used by anyone but me. It would be much like using a McDonald’s or Ford logo on your site. You’ll just have to find another beaver image to use, but there are certainly many of them to be found on the web.

Plan B, any logo creators on this site? I need a logo for this site I'm working on (glad I didn't go further!!!!) 8O

http://www.canadaforsale.ca/index.html

Thanks! :lol:

martin14 @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm

why not just get the creator of the first one to make you a new logo ?

If he does something 'similar', he's happy, you're happy.

RUEZ @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 pm

I know how to draw a Canadian beaver. I learned it in high school. Unfortunately it's probably not the kind you would use for a business.

JustKate @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm

martin14 martin14:
why not just get the creator of the first one to make you a new logo ?

If he does something 'similar', he's happy, you're happy.

:lol: I just sent an email back to him about that idea. It hit me after I posted last.

Waiting.........

JustKate @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Plan B question still stands, got this answer back.

$1:
Hi Kathy,

I’m not a graphic artist at all. I can’t even draw stick figures! I hired a graphic artist and illustrator in Vancouver to do it for me. You can call around to some in your area to see if they’ve done anything like that in the past, and check out their work to see if you feel they can do what you want done.

I cost me around $1,500 to have it designed and to buy the copyright and outright ownership of the image from the creator.

Good luck in your search.

Canadian_Mind @ Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:23 pm

damn, what does he need that image for, for it to cost so much?

acidcomplex @ Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:00 pm

i highly doubt this person still own the copyright, i would ask for proof

herbie @ Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 pm

I gotta print out that response and frame it for my shop!
The last customer balked at paying $35.
I once got shit for using our town's logo on our website. They paid a highschool girl $100 for it. I got to tell the Mayor, "Yeah I know who designed it. She works for me now, I pay her more than that a day. Her Mom works here too, want to complain to one of them?"