Canada Kicks Ass
Blue's Jazz Lounge

1  2  3  4  Next

Blue_Nose @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:16 am

Well, we have a lot of bases covered, but I see we're lacking in the jazz department, so I'm open for requests.

I have, off the top of my head, some Metalwood, Patrick Watson, and Simon Fisk Trio, who are all Canadian... I also have everything by Medeski, Martin, and Wood, if you're into the acid/groove jazz, Dave Brubeck, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Miles Davis, Sex Mob, Herbie Hancock, Soulive, Norah Jones.... anything but Wynton Marsalis.

Name anything, and I'll put together a show, or let me know when you'd like to hear some good music, and I'll hook you up :D

Tman1 @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:21 pm

How about Coltrane?

Blue_Nose @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:30 pm

I'm not particularly a Coltrane fan, myself, but I could probably rustle up a few tracks...

Streaker @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:38 pm

Blue Rondo a la Turk by Brubeck would be nice....

Blue_Nose @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Streaker Streaker:
Blue Rondo a la Turk by Brubeck would be nice....
This guy has taste :lol: Blue Rondo and Strange Meadow Lark are my two favourite tracks from "Time Out"

Everything I have is on CD, so I'll have to take some time to put it all together...

GunPlumber @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:49 pm

1. where does one go to listen to your broadcast?
2. are you going to play swing jazz? (Ella, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, can you tell I like the Ladies?)
3. are you planning to showcase any big band (Glenn Miller, Arte Shaw, the Dorsey Bros., the Duke, Dizzy, Louis Armstrong, etc.,?)

Thanx

p.s. throw in some Rat Pack gems just to mix it up a little

p.p.s. I like Norah's stuff (mostly) but she's got nothing on Lizz Wright. Give it a listen some time. Lizz's stuff is on a blues-jazz tip, like a cross between Lauren Hill and Tracy Chapman, but totally original.

bossdog @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:53 pm

I have a copy of Ella doing Mack the Knife live. It's the track where she screws up the words half way through and sings "...I don't know the words now...". Let me know if you want it and I can email it to you.

Blue_Nose @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:04 pm

GunPlumber GunPlumber:
1. where does one go to listen to your broadcast?
2. are you going to play swing jazz? (Ella, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, can you tell I like the Ladies?)
3. are you planning to showcase any big band (Glenn Miller, Arte Shaw, the Dorsey Bros., the Duke, Dizzy, Louis Armstrong, etc.,?)

Thanx

p.s. throw in some Rat Pack gems just to mix it up a little

p.p.s. I like Norah's stuff (mostly) but she's got nothing on Lizz Wright. Give it a listen some time. Lizz's stuff is on a blues-jazz tip, like a cross between Lauren Hill and Tracy Chapman, but totally original.

1. The radio link at the top of the forums, or I think, if you type this into WinAmp/WMP, you'll hear it as well. http://204.11.239.192:8000

2. I can certainly get some older swing - Ella, Billy... maybe some Diana Krall to keep the Canadian Content up...

3. Definately I'll play some Duke, maybe Glenn Miller... probably some Thelonius Monk... I might have to have a two part show, since people seem to want more of the old stuff, while I'm mostly into newer (post-50s) stuff.

I'm listening to some Lizz Wright samples as I type... We may have to have a "Woman Vocalist Showdown", because I'm frightfully fond of Norah :D

I'll make sure to let everyone know when I have it ready...

Blue_Nose @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:09 pm

bossdog bossdog:
I have a copy of Ella doing Mack the Knife live. It's the track where she screws up the words half way through and sings "...I don't know the words now...". Let me know if you want it and I can email it to you.
Yeah, she almost as bad as Louie Armstrong... they've had a few "rough" duets that almost turn into comedic presentations by the end of the song... Louie, of course, is the 'inventor' of scatting, due to his terrible memory :lol:

CanadianLynx @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Canadian jazz hmm...Don Berner,or Bomba

blues well almost anything,but I like the Bues Brothers"Sweet Home Chicago"

GunPlumber @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:38 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
bossdog bossdog:
Yeah, she almost as bad as Louie Armstrong... they've had a few "rough" duets that almost turn into comedic presentations by the end of the song... Louie, of course, is the 'inventor' of scatting, due to his terrible memory :lol:

When you've recorded as much as Ella did, it would be unrealistic to think they all could be gems. Some of her best duets:

"Blue Skies" Ella and Louis A
"Dream A Little Dream Of Me" Ella and Count Basie (there's your CanCon)
"Prelude To A Kiss" Ella and Miles
"Baby It's Cold Outside" two versions, Ella & Louis + Ella & Sarah Vaughn

She also did some duets with Frankie, but unfortunately I don't have any of them yet.

Streaker @ Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:45 pm

"Wave" by Nancy Wilson. Gotta have a martini on hand for that one...

Sounds like it'll be a fun show, BN!

GunPlumber @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:15 am

I don't have WinAmp installed so I don't really know how Shoutcast works. Does it support playlists that you can playback over Shoutcast? I use MMJB for most of my mp3 needs (ripping/catalogueing/playback/playlists/burning) and some DJ software to edit the files (cutting/splicing/level adjustments/etc.,).

I suggest this hesitantly, because I don't have the time or energy to do it myself, but you might want to prepare playlists that focus on a narrow theme - rather than trying to be all things to every taste. For instance(s): devote a show to jazz 1900 - 1939, another to big band, bebop/swing/cool/fusion etc.,. If you plan on doing a weekly show you have the opportunity to start fresh each week or alternatively you could present a chronology or anthology.

The neat thing about a serial show is you'll have constant input from fans of different styles. You can listen to the suggests, discover music you were unaware of/unfamiliar with and expand your own tastes and share with others what you've discovered/uncovered.

I noticed the timeslots ain't fillin up too quick. Why not reserve a 2 hour period (if you're up to it). This whole DJ'ing thang sounds like a lot of fun, I may have to give it a shot. I'm thinking some serious r&b/soul/funk grooves - if this stuff don't get you out of your chair and burnin tha mutha down, then you must be deaf or dead.

Blue_Nose @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Aight, I have a solid 2 hours (plus) all planned out, so all I need is some listeners... I spent way too much time putting this together, so I need someone to hear it... I'll be playing at least a bit of everything that people suggested, and we're going all over the map tonight, so you're bound to learn something :D

Tentative time is 9:00pm Atlantic (do your own math, ROC), but I'll gladly change it if someone wants it a little later.

BluesBud @ Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:28 pm

I'll giver a listen! I hope to get The BluesBud Juke Joint up some time soon. I hope you will give mine a try.

1  2  3  4  Next