Canada Kicks Ass
Viral infections and computer help.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 12  Next

Elvis @ Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:44 am

herbie herbie:
And being simple it works in about 5% of cases.
System Restore is one of the first place most viruses go to hide. So scan again afterwards.
The ones I see the owner knew something was wrong but they just had to exchange these so f'ing important pictures of their one year year old ramming his head into his birthday cake with every friend on Facebook for two more weeks. Until every contact they have is infected and their system is completely fubar'd.

Ok that was funny I give you a dozen INTERNET!

BTW good luck Derby.

herbie @ Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 am

Speaking of necro, we get so many systems brought in so damn late, and so many brought in for recycling we were joking about renaming our store "Lazarus Systems".
An Acer quadcore 6600 got tossed, we'd just worked on it a week before. Perfectly good, but the kid couldn't play that particular game with that particular video card. So they tossed it and Mommy bought him a new one. Another fucking Acer to boot.
That's now the guts of our Proxmox server.
Yet another Acer QC6600, same reason. Kid lost a game and kicked the computer to shit. Mommy bought him a new one from Future Shop. Mommy's a shareholder in our business... that one's now a webserver.
And yet a 3rd Acer QC... their website lists the wrong drivers for that model. 15 minutes to discover it's an EVGA board and is now the fastest station in our Internet cafe, running XP64 in Ubuntu and Virtualbox... Daddy bought a new one.
I almost wish my parents had divorced, I coulda been a rotten spoiled little fucker too!
I made a desktop background from a religious painting with "Lazarus Systems, we bring 'em back from the dead" stamped on it in "Bloody" font for that one.

xerxes @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:31 am

Quick necro here.

I just bought a new PC this weekend and I am having a ton of trouble keeping my internet connection working properly. Here's the rundown:

-My modem is on
-The connection is there between my PC and my ISP.
-However, I can't load any sort of web-related thing unles I use the 64-bit version of Windows explorer.
-I called Shaw yesterday about this and the tech support guy told how me about the netsh winsock reset command but now the problem is back.

So please. How do I fix this and keep this from happening again?

Curtman @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 am

xerxes xerxes:
Quick necro here.

I just bought a new PC this weekend and I am having a ton of trouble keeping my internet connection working properly. Here's the rundown:

-My modem is on
-The connection is there between my PC and my ISP.
-However, I can't load any sort of web-related thing unles I use the 64-bit version of Windows explorer.
-I called Shaw yesterday about this and the tech support guy told how me about the netsh winsock reset command but now the problem is back.

So please. How do I fix this and keep this from happening again?

Don't use Microsoft products. Its 'Internet Explorer' not Windows Explorer. Try Google Chrome or Firefox.

If you really want to keep it from happening you're going to need to get rid of Windows entirely.

http://linuxmint.com

For free..

Tricks @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 am

Easy there Stallman, not everyone wants to learn a new operating system.

raydan @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:09 am

Did you try with a different browser?

Curtman @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 am

Tricks Tricks:

To each their own. Stick with a broken insecure piece of crap, it doesn't bug me in the slightest. He asked for a way out, I shared one.

BartSimpson @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 am

Curtman Curtman:
Tricks Tricks:

To each their own. Stick with a broken insecure piece of crap, it doesn't bug me in the slightest. He asked for a way out, I shared one.

And security through obscurity is not the way to go either. I don't mind open source on certain platforms that run in secure environments that are not exposed to the net, but I'm not going to gamble on an OS that accepts updates the same way Wiki does.

Curtman @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Curtman Curtman:
Tricks Tricks:

And security through obscurity is not the way to go either. I don't mind open source on certain platforms that run in secure environments that are not exposed to the net, but I'm not going to gamble on an OS that accepts updates the same way Wiki does.

If you're going to use the phrase 'security through obscurity' you should know what it means. It refers to hiding things about the implementation of your security protocols, and hoping that hackers cant figure it out. The Open way is to publish everything in the open, let the pedants debate about what the best way is, and have a secure system as a result.

The way open source accepts updates is the same way that science has got to where it is. Open peer review. Closed proprietary systems cant even compete when it comes to security.

xerxes @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 am

Firefox is my main browser and I've tried it too. No luck. I called my tech support again and this time, the idiot told me to take it back as there's likely some drivers missing that are preventing the computer from making an internet connection. I can get Google to load if I use an ip address but not by way of Google.com

Tricks @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 am

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Brenda @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 am

RIGHT!! I remember what I had to do. What computer did you buy? Every time I had a problem with this one, (Toshiba) I had to dl a conexant driver.

Brenda @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 am

Tricks Tricks:

Sorry couldn't resist.

And take the battery out for 30 seconds :lol:

Curtman @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:30 am

xerxes xerxes:
Firefox is my main browser and I've tried it too. No luck. I called my tech support again and this time, the idiot told me to take it back as there's likely some drivers missing that are preventing the computer from making an internet connection. I can get Google to load if I use an ip address but not by way of Google.com

If name resolution is your problem, then check to see what malware has messed up these files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\resolv.conf
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

That's probably where your computer's problem is.

Tricks @ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:36 am

Brenda Brenda:
Tricks Tricks:

Sorry couldn't resist.

And take the battery out for 30 seconds :lol:

Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 12  Next