Canada Kicks Ass
The Netflix recomendation thread - No Spoilers

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 43  Next

DrCaleb @ Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 am

PBS Frontline: "Battle Zones: Ukraine and Syria"

PBS Frontline: "Syria's Second Front"

The first show goes through how Ukraine ended up in an undeclared war with Russia. I knew most of the details, but there is some disturbing footage of actual events that were quite eye opening.

The second half of the first show is about how Syria came to civil war, pre-ISIS.

The second show is all about Syria and the Rebels battle with both the Assad regime and Al Queda/ISIS. Very disturbing. The second half of that show is the hard one to watch, it's all about Syria's civil war affects on it's children. :(

DrCaleb @ Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:48 am

"Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". [Documentary]

It's about a guy who, as he puts it, is one cheeseburger away from a heart attack. He's overweight, and is taking handfuls of steroid pills to combat an autoimmune disease that causes his immune system to overreact and give painful swellings and rashes.

He decides to 'Reboot' his immune system with a healthy diet and exercise. There are actually some big surprises in his journey.

DrCaleb @ Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:31 am

Ralphie May "Unruly"

He's crass, racist, homophobic and a total redneck. <3

Very funny!

DrCaleb @ Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:47 am

"RWBY"

Japanese style anime. The young are taught to become Hunters and Huntresses, keeping humanity safe from 'Grimm'.

They have kind of a Harry Potter/Kung Fu/Matrix thing going on. Pretty funny at times too.

(and her older sister BWBY ;) )

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 am

Trailer Park Boys Season 9

ROTFL If you aren't uncomfortable in the first 30 seconds, there is something wrong with you!

And the episode titled "Piss" is sure to be a Trailer Park Boys classic episode! Had me literally rolling on the floor laughing!

Tyler_1 @ Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Trailer Park Boys Season 9

ROTFL If you aren't uncomfortable in the first 30 seconds, there is something wrong with you!

And the episode titled "Piss" is sure to be a Trailer Park Boys classic episode! Had me literally rolling on the floor laughing!

Where is Julian's drink? 8O

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am

Yea! He just got out of jail there, and he had a drink in the slammer!

Director fail!

DrCaleb @ Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:46 am

"Pandora's Promise" - Documentary

It interviews a bunch of physicists who were key in developing the United States nuclear power industry, and several environmentalists who were anti-nuclear and became pro-nuclear once facts of nuclear energy had been revealed to them. In the process, it gives a peek into the misinformation given out in the anti-nuclear power section of the 'green' movement.

Just to see Greenpeace condemn the anti-UN rhetoric used by Climate Change Deniers, and then use the same rhetoric to justify a 'conspiracy' of coverups is worth the hour or so the documentary runs. :)

DrCaleb @ Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:11 am

"Daredevil"

I have to say, I was not expecting this! It just showed up last week. I spent most of my free time this weekend absorbing it, and I am pleasantly surprised!

Worthy of some of the Marvel offering lately, it's a collaboration between Marvel Studios and Netflix. Definitely not the much maligned Ben Affleck Daredevil, it's a telling of the story from the beginning, using flashbacks and similar story telling aids.

If you've read the comics, you know the story. No big surprised there, from the accident, to his father's boxing career to the Kung-Fuesque character 'The Stick' played by familiar actor, Scott Glenn.

Being blind, the main character is often filmed in the 'dark', or very low light. This adds to the feeling of his situation. Lots of great fight scenes too! Fast action, lots of breaking bones and blood. Not for the squeamish! Matt Murdoch takes quite a beating, and somehow seems to win. But just barely!

'Matt Murdoch' is a hero you can hate, just a little bit. And 'Wilson Fisk' is a villain you can like, just a little bit.

9 out of 10, would watch again.

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:39 am

"Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" (Parts 1 & 2)

An animated telling of the Frank Miller classic graphics novel. Peter Weller voices Batman. It's set back when Frank Miller actually wrote the novels, so it's got Soviets, and the POTUS is a Ronald Regan like character.

It starts 10 years after the Justice League is disbanded. No one has seen Batman for a decade, and Bruce Wayne has been at the bottom of a bottle for most of that time.

Appearances by several old Batman foes and some new ones, and several friends (Oliver Queen! 8O ) make for a pretty wild ride. The final battle, that everyone sees coming, is also pretty spectacular!

This back story, I suspect, is crucial in understanding the upcoming "Batman vs Superman" movie.

DrCaleb @ Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:08 am

"An Honest Liar"

A really good lesson in how to become and remain a skeptic! I had forgotten about this guy, even though I saw him on Carson a couple times. He's a very smart and surprisingly active man, for being in his 80's.

He's honest and up front that being a magician; he will lie to you, deceive you and con you. But it's just for the show! And in doing that, it pisses him off when people use that slight of hand to part people from their money.

stratos @ Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:20 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
"Daredevil"

I have to say, I was not expecting this! It just showed up last week. I spent most of my free time this weekend absorbing it, and I am pleasantly surprised!

Worthy of some of the Marvel offering lately, it's a collaboration between Marvel Studios and Netflix. Definitely not the much maligned Ben Affleck Daredevil, it's a telling of the story from the beginning, using flashbacks and similar story telling aids.

If you've read the comics, you know the story. No big surprised there, from the accident, to his father's boxing career to the Kung-Fuesque character 'The Stick' played by familiar actor, Scott Glenn.

Being blind, the main character is often filmed in the 'dark', or very low light. This adds to the feeling of his situation. Lots of great fight scenes too! Fast action, lots of breaking bones and blood. Not for the squeamish! Matt Murdoch takes quite a beating, and somehow seems to win. But just barely!

'Matt Murdoch' is a hero you can hate, just a little bit. And 'Wilson Fisk' is a villain you can like, just a little bit.

9 out of 10, would watch again.

How many door slams does it take to remove a head? 8)

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:30 am

The Tiger and The Monk

8O

A Vietnamese Monastery is given a tiger cub that was found orphaned in the forest, and rescued from a taxidermist. Then, one became 6. Then 10. 8O 8O

$1:
About a 2-hour drive west of Bangkok is Wat Pa Luangta Bua, a Buddhist monastery of meditation. The monks there take their ten tigers for a walk on a leash every day. The monks celebrate the tigers as their most sacred animals, and while they cuddle and play with the cubs, they treat the grown-up animals with great respect.

Tigers are one of the most endangered species in the world. Each of the few monks living in the monastery, which was declared a tiger reserve by the Thai government, takes care of one tiger, and since two tiger cubs took refuge in this isolated temple in 1998 their number has grown to ten.

This documentary portrays the harmonious relationship between humans and predators without disregarding the monks' maxim that a tiger will always be a tiger. Even if it feeds from the hand, it will always be a wild animal.

http://www.gaiamtv.com/video/tiger-and-monk

Tyler will be in heaven! ;)

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:39 am

A movie I recorded on DVR and watched part of this morning is "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. It's a retelling of the TV show with Edward Woodward and the black Jaguar even makes a cameo appearance!

So far I'm enjoying the show because while there's the expected action there's also the same intellectual approach to it that made the original show so appealing. It isn't senseless violence and the lead character is seen several times trying to avoid needless violence even though he's perfectly capable of dishing it out.

It's an example of truly meek person and I am so far enjoying it.

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:10 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
A movie I recorded on DVR and watched part of this morning is "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. It's a retelling of the TV show with Edward Woodward and the black Jaguar even makes a cameo appearance!

PDT_Armataz_01_34

I liked that movie, as I was a big fan of the show. It does the original credit.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 43  Next