Canada Kicks Ass
Trout

1  2  Next

bossdog @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 am

If anyone knows how to cook \ bake a good trout, I'd really love to hear about it. I live in a trout area and I have never fished, caught or cooked a trout. They're a lot smaller of a fish from what I'm used to, that much I know.

ziggy @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 am

The small one's can be battered and fried,or just thrown on the bbq.Larger trout can be stuffed with whatever you want and baked,be creative,i like useing onions and lots of spices and wrap with bacon.You can also wrap with tinfoil and throw on the bbq.Best way to eat a trout is right after you catch it,cooked on a hot rock by the fire.

bossdog @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:42 am

Thanks for those tips. Now I just gotta figure out what they like so I can start catching more of them. I see a lot of guys out there with bobbers, I think maybe I should try that. I've never owned a bobber becuase that's boring fishing to me.

ziggy @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:51 am

small spinners work good like black fury or panther martins.More fun then bait fishing also. You talking lake or river?

bossdog @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:54 am

small lake that runs into a river. It's a stocked lake too so I should no excuse to come home empty handed (like yesterday)

ziggy @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:01 am

If your bait fishing try useing something thats natural to the area like grasshoppers,worms still work the best though,or salmon eggs.

In the old days we would use a 303 british,one guy fires into the creek and the boys go downstream and pick the stunned fish out of the water,this is at daisy creek way back when.

bossdog @ Mon May 08, 2006 11:43 am

Well, I'm getting better at this trout thing. I came home today with 4 rainboq trout in less than an hour.

Blue_Nose @ Mon May 08, 2006 11:50 am

Pan fried in butter, with some onions/garlic if you want, and lemon juice. I usually cook it skin side down for a few minutes with a cover on the pan, medium heat. When you can see the top is starting turn turn colour, flip 'er over, tuen up the heat to medium/high, and cook it without the cover to get the other side nice and brown. I like to flip it again when it's done to get the skin crispy, too, when the heat's up.

Fresh pan fried trout is one of my favourite meals, and one of the things I actually know how to do well in the kitchen :lol: ... no need to clutter things up with batters or sauces.

bossdog @ Mon May 08, 2006 11:59 am

I haven't tried to pan fry them yet. I caught on last week that I baked with lemon pepper and it was pretty good. Since I have 4 today I may experiment with a few different styles. I can not stand batter on my fish, not even cod.

Banff @ Mon May 08, 2006 12:15 pm

I like batter on fish but Trout is best Pan fried in lemon juice and garlic butter and years back before going for my journeymans papers we'd add almonds and onions to the frying trout , throw some parsley over the cooked fish for breath control and serve .

bossdog @ Mon May 08, 2006 12:17 pm

I just cleaned them and tossed the guts (not the heads or tails) down the sink to my garbage disposal. Guess what, the unit just died. This isn't going to be pretty!

bossdog @ Mon May 08, 2006 12:53 pm

Talk about great service. The handy man has already fix my disposal. There was a rubber jigger in the drain that was jamming it up and wasn't out of my tackle box. Looks like I caught the one that got away!

fatbasturd @ Mon May 08, 2006 1:02 pm

one ceader plank one hot BBQ....a touch of real butter and olive oil and just a dash of fresh rosemary.

Blue_Nose @ Mon May 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Oooh, I never thought of planking a trout... I've done salmon before. It's a bit more work and time to plank it, but definately a tasty alternative!

bossdog @ Mon May 08, 2006 2:07 pm

Well I just pan fried the 2 big trout stuffed with onion and fresh garlic cloves. Much better than when I baked them with lemon pepper. I gave the other two trout to the guy that came down to fix my garbage disposal.

Thanks for joining me on my best trout day this season! :?

1  2  Next