Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 327  328  329  330  331  332  333 ... 533  Next

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Scape Scape:
Getting the economy back up in these conditions will require not only a global vaccination with a series of boosters but limiting the opportunities of spread for as long as it is an active threat.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. We need to live with it and move on like we did with the flu and countless other issues. Enough with the paranoia and other nonsense associated with the coronavirus. File this as a small speed bump on the road of the world and get back to living our lives the way we should be doing. Period.

-J.

Scape @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:48 pm

4 million dead would say otherwise... if they could.

Scape @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Tricks @ Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:07 am

Scape Scape:
4 million dead would say otherwise... if they could.

4 million dead with global lockdowns. The ambivalence this *Mod Edit* shows to millions of dead is astounding.

herbie @ Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:48 am

raydan raydan:
herbie herbie:
...black woolen vests and skirts, hair tied in a bun.

Behind closed doors, those are the kinkiest girls. 8O

Met one separated from husband, she told me the only church authorized excuse for divorce was adultery.
I can help you with that!
over 25 years ago, I still remembe that night.....

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:48 am

$1:
COVID lab-leak theory: 'Rare' genetic sequence doesn't mean the virus was engineered

The theory that the COVID-19 pandemic was triggered by the SARS-CoV-2 virus being leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China was recently given new life following an explosive article in the Wall Street Journal(WSJ), in which the authors claimed "the most compelling reason to favor the lab leak hypothesis is firmly based in science." But does the science really support the claim that the virus was engineered in a laboratory?

Understanding the origin of a viral outbreak can provide scientists with important information about viral lineages and allow steps to be put in place to avoid similar outbreaks in the future. As such, the origin of SARS-CoV-2 has been debated from the beginning of the pandemic and remains an active topic of discussion among scientists.

It has long been known that viruses similar to the original SARS-CoV that causes SARS are found in bats. These viruses are well studied in China, where the 2002 SARS outbreak originated. But related viruses have been found globally.

Unsurprisingly, coronaviruses are again involved in a pandemic, the third such event in the 21st century—first SARS, then Mers, now COVID-19. While a natural origin seems likely—and many have long warned about the danger of wildlife circulating viruses—scientists shouldn't jump to conclusions.

An important way scientists can determine the origin of a virus is by looking at its genome. In the WSJ article, the authors, Prof Richard Muller, an astrophysicist, and Dr. Steven Quay, physician and chief executive of Atossa Therapeutics, claim SARS-CoV-2 has "genetic fingerprints" of a lab-origin virus. They say that the presence of a particular genetic sequence (CGG-CGG) is a sign that the virus originated in a lab.

To understand the claims being made, we must first understand the genetic code. When a virus infects a cell, it hijacks the cellular machinery, providing instructions (genome) to produce more copies of itself. This genome comprises a long series of molecules called nucleotides, each of which is represented by the letters A, C, G or U.

A group of three nucleotides (known as a codon) provides the instruction for a cell to make an amino acid, the most basic molecular building block of living things. Most amino acids are encoded by several different codons. CGG is one of six possible codons that instruct the cell to add the amino acid arginine.

The authors of the WSJ article argue that SARS-CoV-2 originated in a lab based on the presence of a "CGG-CGG" sequence. They claim this is a "readily available and convenient" codon pair that scientists prefer to use to produce the amino acid arginine. But to anyone with an understanding of the techniques required for genetic modification, this double-CGG is usually no more difficult or easy to produce than any other pair of codons that encode arginines.

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-covid-lab ... netic.html

Scape @ Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 pm

Egad! China lies? Shocked I tell you, shocked.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 am

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:35 am

Scape Scape:
Egad! China lies? Shocked I tell you, shocked.

Scientist Finds Early Virus Sequences That Had Been Mysteriously Deleted

Recovery of deleted deep sequencing data sheds more light on the early Wuhan SARS-CoV-2 epidemic

$1:
Phylogenetic analysis of these sequences in the context of carefully annotated existing data suggests that the Huanan Seafood Market sequences that are the focus of the joint WHO-China report are not fully representative of the viruses in Wuhan early in the epidemic. Instead, the progenitor of known SARS-CoV-2 sequences likely contained three mutations relative to the market viruses that made it more similar to SARS-CoV-2's bat coronavirus relatives.

So, not only was the sequencing incomplete, it might not be the first variant they found in that market. 8O

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:06 am

$1:
Over 2 million in England may have had long COVID, study finds

Over 2 million people in England might have had long COVID and suffered one or more COVID-19 symptoms that lasted at least 12 weeks, one of the biggest surveillance studies of the coronavirus found on Thursday.

The REACT-2 study, led by Imperial College London, found that more than a third of people who have had COVID-19 reported symptoms that lasted at least 12 weeks, with one in ten reporting severe symptoms which lasted that long.

"Our findings do paint a concerning picture of the longer-term health consequences of COVID-19, which need to be accounted for in policy and planning," said Paul Elliott, director of the REACT programme at Imperial.

The government-backed study was based on self-reported data from 508,707 adults between September 2020 and February 2021.

Symptoms ranged from tiredness and muscle aches to shortness of breath and chest pain, and the authors said that the study may overestimate the prevalence of long COVID as such symptoms are common and not always related to COVID-19.

The findings suggested older people were more likely to suffer long COVID, with a 3.5% increase in likelihood with each decade of life.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/over-2 ... 021-06-23/

herbie @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:51 am

Why does anyone dwell on blaming China?
People have been warning us for over 50 years that a lab leak was a very real possibility and we weren't prepared. Blame ourselves!

The Andromeda Strain
The Stand

2 things that put the possibility in everyone's mind. More so than any news or scientific article.

herbie @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:03 pm

Woman insisted to me that the vaccines have killed over 3,000 unborn babies in Britain alone.
4,000 miscarriages, 75% of them since vaccinations began. Therefore 3000 out of 4000 was 75% proved the vaccines killed them.
She was right pissed when I said

=first I;m a man so it doesn't affect me
-second that's utter bullshit reasoning
-third zero babies were killed because if they weren't born they weren't babies

Boy was she pissed off. Atheist communist baby killer sheeple, frothing at the mouth, waving arms, the whole shitshow.

Strutz @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:29 pm

On the other end of the extremists...

A semi-regular customer where I work came in the other day and before leaving the store proceeded to gather fistfuls of hand sanitizer from the dispenser and vigorously wiped the bottoms of her shoes with her bare hands before leaving the store to walk outside to the sidewalk/parking lot. Seriously... wtf is with that? :roll: I knew she always seemed to use the sanitizer but it was the first time I actually saw how she was using it. Fucking gross.

housewife @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Yeah I don’t know what to think anymore is it possible? Yeah. With the science community fighting it out and showing proof to back their claims I don’t know. Another we may never know or it will be years before we do.

herbie @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:47 pm

Strutz Strutz:
On the other end of the extremists...

A semi-regular customer where I work came in the other day and before leaving the store proceeded to gather fistfuls of hand sanitizer from the dispenser and vigorously wiped the bottoms of her shoes with her bare hands before leaving the store to walk outside to the sidewalk/parking lot. Seriously... wtf is with that? :roll: I knew she always seemed to use the sanitizer but it was the first time I actually saw how she was using it. Fucking gross.

Ok that one wins. Does she by any chance also have 63 cats?

Previous  1 ... 327  328  329  330  331  332  333 ... 533  Next