Canada Kicks Ass
Best places to live in Canada 2016

1  2  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:49 am

http://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-best-p ... ign=buffer

Interesting that both Regina and Winnipeg come out ahead of Toronto and Vancouver(Vancouver proper). It'd be interesting if they ranked it greater regional districts. as you have West Van and North Van being better places than Vancouver. Edmonton comes behind them .

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:55 am

Where is Turks & Caicos on that list? :P

BeaverFever @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:01 am

$1:
Interesting that both Regina and Winnipeg come out ahead of Toronto and Vancouver(Vancouver proper).

That's probably just due to cost. I also note that "amenities" is not only lightly weighted (only 6 points max) and it would be pretty easy for most cities to get close to full points:

$1:
AMENITIES: 6 points—Two points for a hospital, 1 point each for university and college. Cities in a CMA area received credit if a particular institution was located anywhere in the CMA. Half a point was given to cities with a movie theatre. Cities could also earn up to 1.5 points for being within close proximity to an airport serviced by one of Canada’s national carriers: Air Canada or WestJet. Cities within 50 km of an airport received 1.5 points, communities within 100 km received 1 point and cities within 200km received

Nothing about shopping restaurants, banks, or other daily things that make living somewhere interesting. These things could be ranked in terms of quantity, quality and variety.

Also nothing about local economy. A bedroom community with zero local economic activity where everyone commutes to work somewhere else would rank as good or better than one with healthy local businesses.

andyt @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 am

Regina ROTFL

Thanos @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:14 am

Not Calgary, because the last decade of the mayor and city council has surely seen to that.

2Cdo @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02 am

andyt andyt:
Regina ROTFL

I'd take Regina in a heartbeat before Vancouver. Your money would go further and you wouldn't have to put up with the idiots that seem to be drawn to the west coast, like andy. :lol:

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 am

Sort of hard to determine as the GVRD is broken down into its disparate parts, like PoCo, North Van, West Van and others.

raydan @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:19 pm

I'm #12. [cheer]

Sunnyways @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:32 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I know somebody who does for tax reasons and I must say I don't envy the guy. It would turn into a prison for me soon enough.

Sunnyways @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Surely Vancouver has priced itself out of consideration at this point?

I'm more interested in places to retire. Moneysense gives a good list on that too although you can't please everybody. Somewhere near Ottawa sounds good: all the amenities of a big city nearby without the endless Toronto concrete and silly property prices; decent hills and parks; and the Appalachians and NYC not too far away. Other BC spots might be interesting but it's so far away. Burlington and Oakville are beyond my price range as well now.

JaredMilne @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:59 pm

raydan raydan:
I'm #12. [cheer]

I'm #4! [B-o]

Jabberwalker @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I live in #3 and #2 and #23 are the bordering towns. Not too shabby!

Canadian_Mind @ Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Fuck I wish.

Quite a few Caribbean territories I think we should annex.

DrCaleb @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:59 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Fuck I wish.

Quite a few Caribbean territories I think we should annex.

[drool]

Oops, sorry. That's Quebec.

[angel]

Tyler_1 @ Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:08 am

I would have won this but cities. :roll:
TGIF :D

1  2  Next